Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 hour ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I have a number of concerns at the moment.

Firstly, when we finally decide to make a change there are going to be some big footballing decisions to make, and I'm no longer convinced by the people that will most likely be making them.

First big decision is what to do about Purslow, and how much blame should be attributed to him. It seems he has overstepped in to footballing matters to employ the manger he wanted. This has been a very damaging decision, not only because of what has happened on the pitch, but also the complete abandonment of a club ethos and a 180 degree change in transfer policy that has followed. We've essentially ripped everything up and started again, but this was not the plan we, and likely the owners, were sold when Smith was employed, what was supposed to happen when Smith was relieved of his duties was that another head coach would be appointed that could follow, or work within, the ethos and transfer policy already in place. This way we 'd continue to progress, and losing a head coach would be nothing more than a bump in the road. 

I'm not sure what was sold to the owners, by Gerrard or Purslow, but it must of been mighty convincing for them to have gone a long with it and abandoned the previously agreed upon strategy. Obviously, whatever was sold has certainly not come to pass, and if indeed it was Purslow's sell then I can't imagine the owners are too happy with him. Some trust will certainly have been broken, nobody likes to be sold something that turns out to be faulty. Do they trust Purslow enough to be involved in appointing the next manager? Should he even of been involved in the process of appointing Gerrard at all? They trust Purslow to do the day to day running of the club and from a commercial point of view he's been doing an excellent job by all accounts, but the footballing side is not really his remit, we have a sporting director for that.

Which brings us on to Lange, from the outside looking in it seems like there's been a bit of a power struggle going on. Lange and his philosophies seem to have been moved aside to accommodate anything Gerrard wants, including transfer policy, when in theory it should be the other way around. Lange as sporting director should be dictating to Gerrard the manager, but of course Gerrard can bypass him and go straight to Purslow to get what he wants, it leaves Lange in an unenviable position, and he appears to have just accepted this new arrangement. I think I want my sporting director to be stronger than that. Footballing matters fall on his shoulders and I'd be very interested to learn if he had any say in Gerrards appointment or the change in transfer strategy, has he just said yes against his better judgment or has he just got starry eyed and agreed with anything the great Steven Gerrard has said?

Another decision after Gerrard has gone is, what is our philosophy now? Where do we want to go from here and how do we intend to get there? What is our transfer strategy now?

Do the owners trust Purslow and/or Lange to get the next appointment correct? Do they want to revert back to the old philosophy? If so how easy is that going to be with Lange/Purslow still in place?

If they get rid of Purlsow, then they have to rely on Lange to make the next appointment, if they get rid of Lange they have to rely on Purslow, but he's already shown that that kind of trust could well be misplaced. If they get rid of both?... Do they make an appointment themselves? I don't think that is their style.

I feel a lot of these questions need to be answered before we can realistically start drawing up lists of who the best man for the job might be, and also what is the job now exactly? Head Coach or Manager? How much sway should the new guy get?

We're in a right old mess, and one bad appointment has put us there, in my opinion one good appointment could go a long way to at least getting us back where we started, but who's making that decision and can they be trusted?

I'm sorry about all the questions, I promise I don't have that annoying upwards inflection every time I ask one...

The probable short answer in following Villa down the years will be a head in sand reaction first to give Gerrard more time to fail. Then when we are in the bottom 3 we will panic and sack Gerrard and perhaps one of Lange or Purslow. And then start again in a completely different approach with a new set up, in which a sizeable amount of the current squad will be incapable of playing.  And then lose loads of money in shifting unwanted players out. Rinse and repeat.

• Sad 1

Probably doesn't matter, I doubt we will appoint Jardim anyway that was a former dream of mine that momentarily visited me once again, but rightly or wrongly I suspect it will be someone that's managed in this country,  maybe it's possible that we could make an exception for Gallardo because of our South American flavored squad and him belonging to the same managerial thought school as other managers that have come to this country and other European countries and done well.

Before we think about a new manager, there needs to be a vacancy first, in that sense the whole of this thread is wishful thinking, it's been open nearly three months now and Gerrard is still here, and whilst on the one hand it feels like it's only a matter of time before he's sacked, on the other hand it seems we're stuck in this constant cycle where we go on a bad run but then instead of us sacking him when it's the perfect time to do so we instead give him more time where he then does jost enough to keep his job before going on a bad run again, and we keep going on like that.

At some point the club just needs to brave and say enough is enough otherwise despite all the talk of him being on the brink, he could be with us for a while yet

I think Emery is the safest bet and is a good manager, I’ll be happy if we ended up with him.

However, I’m really intrigued by Gallardo. Yes it could a bit of a risk appointing him probably a risk that would not be wise as of now, but I think he could be quite good for us. 

I don’t really see us appointing him to be fair, he may even get a gig at say Bayern or any champions league level club that may be not performing. 

• Like 2

Were people asleep when Emery managed Arsenal ? 

Barely 18 months after taking over from Arsene Wenger, Emery's Arsenal project is over, and the Gunners' confused identity continues to be an issue.

the article goes into some detail , but tbh , he doesn't sound like the man we need right now 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I think Emery is the safest bet and is a good manager, I’ll be happy if we ended up with him.

However, I’m really intrigued by Gallardo. Yes it could a bit of a risk appointing him probably a risk that would not be wise as of now, but I think he could be quite good for us. 

I don’t really see us appointing him to be fair, he may even get a gig at say Bayern or any champions league level club that may be not performing. 

Gallardo is unlikely, but we can dream.

I don’t think he’ll take a job until 2023. And even then it will probably be in Spain, Italy or France. Could even see him taking Argentina if the current manager leaves.

Emery and Poch are the safest bets in terms of Euro and Prem experience, while also playing decent football.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Were people asleep when Emery managed Arsenal ? 

the article goes into some detail , but tbh , he doesn't sound like the man we need right now 

I’m aware it ended badly for him but for Arsenal at that point there were deeper issues which probably contributed to everything. I got a few of my mums side of the family being die hard Arsenal fans and at the time, they were more annoyed at Edu and their board. Yes Emery was also being hounded out by quite a few of them at the time and probably deservedly so at that point, however I did see a fair few also say they were a bit sad to see him go. They appreciated that he guided them to a Europa League final too. 

He has reinvented himself and it seems like every team he’s joined he’s either been close to or has won stuff. I don’t think he’s as bad as some of the English media were making him out to be, he pretty much got turned into a meme as well because of his accent. 

• Like 1

A manager like Gallardo (or of that ilk) would be better coming in during the summer and having a full pre season to get across his ideas. 

Any manager coming in now will be firefighting to an extent, so it's best if they know the division and can hit the ground running. Previous PL experience shouldn't be the main factor in any decision. But it is a pretty important one. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sne said:

Wonder how badly Tuchel want's to stay in England? He has roughly 60 days to find a new gig before he gets deported.

He's probably not desperate enough thou.

Apparently already rejected a PL club that’s approached him (I have a feeling it’s us or West Ham). Word is he’s holding out for the England job.

19 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

A manager like Gallardo (or of that ilk) would be better coming in during the summer and having a full pre season to get across his ideas. 

Any manager coming in now will be firefighting to an extent, so it's best if they know the division and can hit the ground running. Previous PL experience shouldn't be the main factor in any decision. But it is a pretty important one. 

Definitely.

Any exciting, left-field appointment can't be chased now I don't think.

The damage Gerrard has done is severe. We have to stay up and can't risk a specific style being implemented, lest the wheels really fall off.

Having said that, any style has a fairly blank canvas to work from.

Gerrard's "keep it tight and compact" 101 management can be rolled back to at any point. There's nothing complex about it.

21 minutes ago, sne said:

Wonder how badly Tuchel want's to stay in England? He has roughly 60 days to find a new gig before he gets deported.

He's probably not desperate enough thou.

He's probably not looking for a step down so soon in his career. 

Just now, TreeVillan said:

He's probably not looking for a step down so soon in his career. 

No most likely not. But if he want's to stay in the country his options are limited atm. Not sure why (apart from salary) he'd be set on staying in England thou. Seen him linked to Barca as they are having doubt about Xavi apparently.

Great players not always great managers and all that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

No most likely not. But if he want's to stay in the country his options are limited atm. Not sure why (apart from salary) he'd be set on staying in England thou. Seen him linked to Barca as they are having doubt about Xavi apparently.

Great players not always great managers and all that.

Xavi be next on Purslows hit list. Maybe Kaka is keen on a management job