Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Explain these to me?  No experience in the so called "top 5 leagues"
Mourinho from Porto to Chelsea
Pep from Barca B to Barca
Wenger from Japan to Arsenal
Sir Alex from Aberdeen to Man United

Won Europa League and Champions League back to back and was clearly a rare talent.

Was a former club captain promoted to managing the club. They did the same with Cruff before.

Had managed in France for a decade and won the League with Monaco

Had managed to take Aberdeen to topple the duopoly in Scotland and won a European Trophy with Aberdeen.

All of this is European football, winning a League in a top 5 or winning a European Trophy if not in Top 5 League. This is entirely proving my point

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Lets get a South American coach in who doesn't speak English and has no experience of European football. Who's success is in second tier leagues and competitions. That's exactly what we need to turn the ship around. 

It's the standard nonsense that fans do, youtube videos of footballers we should sign because they are flash and exciting. 

Yes but we’re also fond of asking why we never recruit anyone from outside the box, how come a club like Southampton can find Pochettino or Leeds recruit the likes of Bielsa?

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Won Europa League and Champions League back to back and was clearly a rare talent.

Was a former club captain promoted to managing the club. They did the same with Cruff before.

Had managed to take Aberdeen to topple the duopoly in Scotland and won a European Trophy with Aberdeen.

All of this is European football, winning a League in a top 5 or winning a European Trophy if not in Top 5 League. This is entirely proving my point

Gallardo is a rare talent! He won the south American equivalent of the champions league TWICE in 8 years! 14 Trophies!

You want a socalled  'real man of football' in charge. We've had enough of them! Time to get someone who plays free flowing attacking football

and the "does he even speak english" question: 

t

So do you want a real football man in charge who speaks with an English accent? (Gerrard,  Critchley, Dyche, Big Sam, Bruce, Rodgers)

Or do you want a man who Pep describes as one of the best managers in the world and speaks the language of Football? (Gallardo)

Should we listen to @CVByrne or Pep Guardiola! I know its a tough choice that one.

Yeah we won't be interested in Gallardo until after he goes to someplace like Monaco and does a good job there. By which time bigger clubs would be circling. 

Accomplishments doesn't count unless they are done on British soil.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just saw some Huddersfield highlights and it made me remember Wagner Love.

Wasn't he " flavour of the month " and " the next big thing " at one point?

What's happened to him?

He must be 40 years old by now?

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just saw some Huddersfield highlights and it made me remember Wagner Love.

Wasn't he " flavour of the month " and " the next big thing " at one point?

What's happened to him?

Vagner Love was a Brazilian striker played in the Russian leagues and champions league. Fun player.
You mean David Wagner

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

There are at least 20 managers we can get that are a better choice than someone who's entire football experiences as a player and coach are confined to Argentina. Are people f'n serious? A an absolute bare minimum we are only interested in coaches who've experience from the top 5 leagues. 

Played in 2 World Cups and spent 5 years in France unless that is a suburb of Argentina now

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Plus with Ferguson - the Scottish league wasn’t a joke then, and the ‘big 5 leagues’ weren’t a thing.

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Vagner Love was a Brazilian striker played in the Russian leagues and champions league. Fun player.
You mean David Wagner

Lol you are correct sir.

Did a Google and it seems his last job was in Switzerland, and Shalke before that.

So appears he never climbed up any more trees.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Lol you are correct sir.

Did a Google and it seems his last job was in Switzerland, and Shalke before that.

So appears he never climbed up any more trees.

and that's why having PL experience and English experience means nothing.

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Played in 2 World Cups and spent 5 years in France unless that is a suburb of Argentina now

He’s also great at bringing through youth, which is sort of a necessity in Argentina as clubs don’t have much money and sell their best talent to Europe every year.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

We seem to be saying different things, I don't care about history... I care about now, we have hired an idiot on his L plates, who has no idea what his direction he is taking us.

Our owners are different to Dougie and Lerner, so who knows who we are capable of hiring.

Not sacking him because historically we've had some poor managers is not a valid argument imo. 

PS I'll give you RDM, I had completely wiped my brain of his presence. He's on par with SG.

But these Owners with all the credibility to spare.....Hired SG...They must have known what they was getting a rookie manager....but maybe they are willing to give him development time, like we do players.

You can ignore History all you like......my point is there is nothing to suggest, anything will change.....In our History only 19 managers out of 33 managed to exceed 40% win percentage.....and its clear to see the better ones was in batches, suggesting they had the better players, in that period.

What you are saying is we are expecting to defy everything we have done in our History.....Thats fine, but to expect a youthful manager to do it, in c 35 games is pie in the sky....and our transfer business in the summer was questionable, in its execution.

Its another argument, to say, we should have signed experience....but we have done that in the past, to no great avail.

The problems lie on the pitch, for me.....and I agree, that SG has to fix them....managers are responsible for all things football, but they have to have the players to do that.....right now, he has too many, not showing much form.

Ollie, is like a kettle with a hole in it, not fit forpurpose.....and others could be deemed the same....I looke at Bowen and Mbueno and compare with Bailey......far more aggression from the former, and at a far cheaper price.

If you examine what we have done, is keep sacking managers, to no benefit.

You say the past is the past.....but all those decision makers, thought they was doing the right thing, supported in most cases, by the fan base......There are no guarantee's a sacking will increase our ability to win games or turn misfiring players in to Europa league contenders.

My view it is the players, where the fault lies, particularly the front 6 make up.....but I accept, its the managers job to get the best out of them, when he can't.....we have to look at surgery.

I look at other teams like Brentford and Brighton and they have more intensity, urgency, physicality in the front 6, and our clear willingness to run, without the ball and with it.....I am not saying the manager has no part to play in that, but sometimes you can only take the horse to the water, you can't necessarily make it drink.....both clubs don't spend like we do either, but they buy EFFECTIVE players.

17 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I wanted Rodgers in the past but I don't think now is the right time. He looks broken and the way Leicester defend set pieces is embarrassing. 

No to Rodgers. If he’s struggling with Leicester, he’s not gonna do much better with us.

12 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

You can't look at managers without their context. Who were the owners in that time?

Doug Ellis - Graham Taylor mk II, O'Leary

Lerner - MON, McLeish, Lambert, Sherwood, Garde

Xia - RDM, Bruce

Boy - we've had some lousy owners, haven't we?

Our current owners: Smith and Gerrard. That's a 50/50 split - better than our last 2 owners.

There is reason for optimism about our next appointment.

Our owners are fantastic.....but the proof of the pudding is in the eating.....so far, with all the money the owners have spent, the return on the pitch under both managers, is poor, overall.

I think we have spent, money and not got the return on the players....that must be frustrating for the owners, its certainly frustrating to me.

I see no more optimism, than I See sticking with what we have, and turning things around.

I am not certain one way or the other......I have seen no evidence, for any new manager doing any better with this collection of players in their current form.

If you are saying change for the throw of the dice, because the football is crap....I at least see a ray of hope in that.....but we did that with Dean, and its not better.....I thought it would be, but so far, I am wrong.

Unless we are in the bottom 3, I think he will be allowed time to fix it.