Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Xabi Alonso off to a 4-0 winning start. Another unattached manager we've missed out on...

Interested to see who Leicester and Southampton go for. Two clubs who cast the net wide and usually recruit well.

Tbf you can't moan about Gerrard's lack of experience and then bring up Alonso ;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If Juventus get a new manager surely it would be Conte? He would turn up at their training ground Monday morning if Allegri was sacked.

I doubt it will happen mid season

I know I wasn't overly enthusiastic at the time but I do wish we'd gone with Eddie Howe. He's got them playing what I wanna watch. 

There's not that much difference in the quality of the squads either.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

I agree it’s BS but to believe NSWE haven’t though about replacing him I suggest is wide of the mark.  They aren’t blind to the situation, at the very least they’ve had a discussion between them about trigger points, options and a plan b.  

They maybe heavily invested in Project Gerrard but they will have likely at the minimum discussed it at board level or just between the owners and at a maximum put some feelers out to other managers.

They aren’t going to sit on their hands blindly and watch it play out feebly.  Even if they believe he will turn it around they would appreciate reality and will want to be prepared in case they do pull the trigger.

You and I may disagree on where they are in their thoughts on Gerrard but we know they aren’t stupid not to have at least discussed it.

Yet according to many they were stupid enough to hire him, why wouldn't they be equally as stupid to keep him?

Call me one who has lost faith, almost indifferent now. Still think it's futile this football malarkey, can't quite shake it though!

6 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Tbf you can't moan about Gerrard's lack of experience and then bring up Alonso ;)

Lack of experience is no issue in my book!

If you know what you're doing from the off, no need to learn the job. Gerrard has been promoted well beyond his station and doesn't understand football.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yet according to many they were stupid enough to hire him, why wouldn't they be equally as stupid to keep him?

Call me one who has lost faith, almost indifferent now. Still think it's futile this football malarkey, can't quite shake it though!

They were stupid enough to hire him imo but based on the likely advice of Purslow and as some have argued his Rangers time plus his attributes as a player they would defer to the recommendation like most boards.  I don’t, like many fans, think it was the right hire which is being borne out but the people who were positive about Gerrard at the time laid out an argument for his hire.

This difference though with firing him, is that not only will they have advice from their CEO but now witnessed with their owns eyes his performances in the role and likely feedback summarised by their staff from fans from various formats.  However positive one could be, it’s not been the improvement they had hoped and likely they have been very disappointed and somewhat concerned.  

So while the initial hiring would be an error based advice and positive meetings with Gerrard based on potential, this now through evidence of performance and results would be far more stupid if they hadn’t had the conversation of whether they should look for the next manager because it would be more on them.  So even if they still believed in project Gerrard, they will probably at least discussed what happens if things don’t improve.  I think they have done likely much more than that but at a minimum they surely have had the discussion.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I know I wasn't overly enthusiastic at the time but I do wish we'd gone with Eddie Howe. He's got them playing what I wanna watch. 

There's not that much difference in the quality of the squads either.

Future England manager…u heard it here first 👍

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Lack of experience is no issue in my book!

If you know what you're doing from the off, no need to learn the job. Gerrard has been promoted well beyond his station and doesn't understand football.

I agree what we want is somebody that knows what they are doing. But how do we know if they know what they are doing without them having a previous job we can asses them on?

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

They were stupid enough to hire him imo but based on the likely advice of Purslow and as some have argued his Rangers time plus his attributes as a player they would defer to the recommendation like most boards.  I don’t, like many fans, think it was the right hire which is being borne out but the people who were positive about Gerrard at the time laid out an argument for his hire.

This difference though with firing him, is that not only will they have advice from their CEO but now witnessed with their owns eyes his performances in the role and likely feedback summarised by their staff from fans from various formats.  However positive one could be, it’s not been the improvement they had hoped and likely they have been very disappointed and somewhat concerned.  

So while the initial hiring would be an error based advice and positive meetings with Gerrard based on potential, this now through evidence of performance and results would be far more stupid if they hadn’t had the conversation of whether they should look for the next manager because it would be more on them.  So even if they still believed in project Gerrard, they will probably at least discussed what happens if things don’t improve.  I think they have done likely much more than that but at a minimum they surely have had the discussion.

Yup...

Thing is in theory you can see the logic in hiring Gerrard, the next best thing, a top class understanding of the game and his ability or connections to pull in the likes of Coutinho/Kamara. Yet in practise not gone the way we'd hoped; it's all well and good to bang on repeatedly that "I told you so" but ultimately it offers nothing positive.

We are where we are and whilst he is manager I hope Villa win football matches and indeed I hope Gerrard can turn it around. A win against Forest and to remain unbeaten against Chelsea would seem like a solid return which would likely see us comfortably top half.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vincenzo said:

Future England manager…u heard it here first 👍

Surely a PL club football job is better than the England job?
I guess Newcastle can pay him more aswell. 

Being England manager is like a part time job lol 

36 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Thing is in theory you can see the logic in hiring Gerrard, the next best thing, a top class understanding of the game and his ability or connections to pull in the likes of Coutinho/Kamara.

I said I can see some logic, not that I agreed with it.  Didn’t see the “next best thing” at all.  Also a top class understanding of the game as a player, I didn’t see that as a manager.  I agree about connections.  I just saw him as a Roy Keane, Thierry Henry, Gary Neville type whose a big name from playing days but didn’t see it as a manager.

39 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yet in practise not gone the way we'd hoped; it's all well and good to bang on repeatedly that "I told you so" but ultimately it offers nothing positive.

Maybe, but he’s still here and thus we aren’t correcting the error.

40 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

We are where we are and whilst he is manager I hope Villa win football matches and indeed I hope Gerrard can turn it around.

Me too

40 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

A win against Forest and to remain unbeaten against Chelsea would seem like a solid return which would likely see us comfortably top half.

I just don’t think medium/long term he has the right stuff to progress us.  I think it is damaging us because while he keeps doing enough to save his job it means we are underperforming.  I don’t see him getting us anywhere near top half at the end of the season and I worry he’ll have us closer to the relegation places than top half although there is no chance we’ll be relegated (I hope).  We are boring to watch, we are struggling to perform, our players are off form and our points accumulation over a good period is poor.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I said I can see some logic, not that I agreed with it.  Didn’t see the “next best thing” at all.  Also a top class understanding of the game as a player, I didn’t see that as a manager.  I agree about connections.  I just saw him as a Roy Keane, Thierry Henry, Gary Neville type whose a big name from playing days but didn’t see it as a manager.

Maybe, but he’s still here and thus we aren’t correcting the error.

Me too

I just don’t think medium/long term he has the right stuff to progress us.  I think it is damaging us because while he keeps doing enough to save his job it means we are underperforming.  I don’t see him getting us anywhere near top half at the end of the season and I worry he’ll have us closer to the relegation places than top half although there is no chance we’ll be relegated (I hope).  We are boring to watch, we are struggling to perform, our players are off form and our points accumulation over a good period is poor.

Yay, sounds about the same here...

I just think whilst he's here I still want Villa to win and I hope things improve.

But yet this is VT around and around we go....

A new name to debate - Bo Svenson … 

Every Premier League chief executive knows Mauricio Pochettino is currently available, and the reputation of Mainz coach Bo Svensson is growing rapidly. The Dane was on Brighton’s list before they moved for Roberto De Zerbi, and also featured in discussions at Wolves after they sacked Bruno Lage. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11296783/Steven-Gerrard-pressure-Aston-Villa-owners-unlikely-grant-dramatic-U-turn.html

has been part of the RB set up and has been doing a great job at Mainz