Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

I've got a feeling we will beat Leicester and Southampton, as Gerrard is temporarily moving away from his flawed system. It will be like his early days, before he tried to coach with his ridiculous tactics. 

Although I'll be happy with the results, this will be a bad situation for the club as he will probably keep his job for a while. Gerrard has shown he is tactically incompetent and a poor man manager. Falls out with some players, picks his favourites instead of picking players on form and doesn't reward good performances from the bench with starts in the next game and vice versa. 

If he keeps his job for a while we will miss out on some decent managers and may end up with someone like Southgate - a really typical Purslow type appointment. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I've got a feeling we will beat Leicester and Southampton, as Gerrard is temporarily moving away from his flawed system. It will be like his early days, before he tried to coach with his ridiculous tactics. 

Although I'll be happy with the results, this will be a bad situation for the club as he will probably keep his job for a while. Gerrard has shown he is tactically incompetent and a poor man manager. Falls out with some players, picks his favourites instead of picking players on form and doesn't reward good performances from the bench with starts in the next game and vice versa. 

If he keeps his job for a while we will miss out on some decent managers and may end up with someone like Southgate - a really typical Purslow type appointment. 

We are not going to end up with Southgate, he hates us for some reason, and even if he is sacked from the England job due to a poor World Cup he'll think the Villa job is beneath him.

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Probably could have got Potter if we hadn't dithered. 

I'm not so sure. It was reported that the owners had planned to get rid of Tuchel for a while. The quickness of the Potter appointment seems to suggest there has been off-the-record discussions with him for a few weeks at least. I don't think we would have stood a chance, even with an earlier move. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, messi11 said:

Exactly missed our chance with Potter. 
Need more ruthless owners. Gerrard should of gone a week ago

missed out on a manager with a 30% win ratio......I'm glad they are in charge.

time will tell, if that is relevant.

Maybe the Potter myth, turns out to be reality....with better players, it might do.

Edited by TRO

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

I'm not so sure. It was reported that the owners had planned to get rid of Tuchel for a while. The quickness of the Potter appointment seems to suggest there has been off-the-record discussions with him for a few weeks at least. I don't think we would have stood a chance, even with an earlier move. 

Potter should have been the first choice when we sacked Smith. I’m pretty sure we would have gotten him then.

Maybe we can get Chelsea’s second choice; Ruben Amorim. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

That's why I don't think Purslow would hire him. He doesn't seem to employ anyone who will challenge him in a confrontational manner. 

Well that's no good like we all say Purslow should keep out of football related stuff let the manager do what's he hired for.

30 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Potter should have been the first choice when we sacked Smith. I’m pretty sure we would have gotten him then.

Maybe we can get Chelsea’s second choice; Ruben Amorim. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the time, Potter was on the back of a 15th and 16th finishes. Although he was playing attractive football, it wasn't winning football. That said I don't think Purslow even considered him as Gerrard was always his preferred choice. 

Pochettino is about ten times more realistic than Tuchel for where they are in their current managerial careers.

I wonder if we've already sounded out Poch's agent and he's said he's not interested at this moment so we're giving Gerrard until the international break.

Minds can be changed after a few months. Spurs wanted Conte last summer, he rejected them and they employed Nuno but he suddenly changed his mind when Man. United weren't interested in appointing him.

I think it would be a bit sobering for Poch seeing Chelsea overlooking him in favour of domestic manager so he's going to have to set his sights lower down a league table now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. At the time, Potter was on the back of a 15th and 16th finishes. Although he was playing attractive football, it wasn't winning football. That said I don't think Purslow even considered him as Gerrard was always his preferred choice. 

At the time, my preferred choice was Potter, so no hindsight about it. I also thought that Gerrard was to inexperienced and not really achieved anything, especially in Europe.

• Like 3

Personally I think that Aston Villa as it is currently is unmanageable. No way is anyone who comes in going to be given the time to build a team to challenge the top 6. Expectations are too high. We've already shown prospective candidates that incremental improvement (DS) is not acceptable. Other than the Leicester freak show, when was the last time a team came from the lower reaches of the Prem and rapidly ascended into the top 6. It takes years of prep work and development. Even Man City who spent obscene amounts took a few years to get there, and we will not be doing that no matter what manager gets in. 

I think that perhaps Gerrard has run his course, but people expecting, no demanding that a replacement come in and suddenly put us up with Arsenal and Liverpool are just dreaming. It will never happen. And then another sacking, another rebuild, and on and on until we expend all resources and end up back where we were under Lerner. 

It’s all about timing in a few months the timing will be wrong. Pochettino is at the right time of his career to take over at Villa and build. The kudos and prestige Villa will gain from that is incredible.

Edit : he might have said no if we put out polite feelers. We just don’t know.

Edited by Sulberto21

39 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think we would have, if it wasn't for the £16m buyout clause in his contract that it would have cost us.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Personally I think that Aston Villa as it is currently is unmanageable. No way is anyone who comes in going to be given the time to build a team to challenge the top 6. Expectations are too high. We've already shown prospective candidates that incremental improvement (DS) is not acceptable. Other than the Leicester freak show, when was the last time a team came from the lower reaches of the Prem and rapidly ascended into the top 6. It takes years of prep work and development. Even Man City who spent obscene amounts took a few years to get there, and we will not be doing that no matter what manager gets in. 

I think that perhaps Gerrard has run his course, but people expecting, no demanding that a replacement come in and suddenly put us up with Arsenal and Liverpool are just dreaming. It will never happen. And then another sacking, another rebuild, and on and on until we expend all resources and end up back where we were under Lerner. 

West Ham showed with good coaching you can get European football, they went from relegation candidates to Europa in one season. I don’t want Gerrard, but I don’t expect us to be arsenal or Liverpool. What I do think it’s fair to expect is for us to be a competitive team on a weekly basis, I think that’s completely fair. And we’ve had ten months without that. 
Just to add, on your last point. I’ve recently been wondering if a fear of past times prevents some of our fans from expecting much from the club. Almost like be happy with what we’ve got because remember what happened before. I’m not expecting us to be a champions league club, but I think we’ve spent enough money and been back in the league long enough now to expect more than what we’re getting.  

Edited by IrishVilla10