Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I have absolutely no doubt that the problem is the managers we employ. We keep getting it wrong. Deano was the right manager at the time and that was to get us promoted to the Premier League and it is no surprise he is doing that job again. Besides that, none of our managers go on to any success and I believe that is on them and not us

Agreed… just look at the list of shite managers we’ve had… the main problem has been how poor our decision making has been and not giving the backing to the right people… I think it’s used as more of an excuse when it should really be more of an indictment of past regimes…

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

I wouldn’t exactly complain… but we’ve seen what happens in this kind of scenario before…

Many a man has wilted under the pressure here and not been the same since… I’d prefer someone with a bit of “been there, done that”… who was the last guy we had like that?

Tired of the risks, let’s actually move forwards now instead of pissing about and struggling…

I think Villa fans would turn on Potter quite quickly and wouldn't give him the time he needs. To me, Potter appears to be a slow build type of guy and would take a long time to get Villa to where we want to be. They have gone through quite a long time without a striker that can score goals and spent a long time passing the ball to each and dropping points. That would not be tolerated at Villa Park

Agreed… just look at the list of shite managers we’ve had… the main problem has been how poor our decision making has been and not giving the backing to the right people… I think it’s used as more of an excuse when it should really be more of an indictment of past regimes…

In the last 40 years we have never taken a risk or gone top shelf. We go for predictable. I didn't want SG as manager but I do like that we tried to change the usual type of appointment and take a risk. But my preference is for top shelf and I have dreamed of Poch at Villa from the days he was at Saints. There is no manager in the world I would take ahead of Poch today. 

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

I think Villa fans would turn on Potter quite quickly and wouldn't give him the time he needs. To me, Potter appears to be a slow build type of guy and would take a long time to get Villa to where we want to be. They have gone through quite a long time without a striker that can score goals and spent a long time passing the ball to each and dropping points. That would not be tolerated at Villa Park

It would be nothing like the Brighton job. Again, it’s a risk, can he handle the pressure and expectation? Will he be overwhelmed? Can he deal with higher profile players, egos, higher wages, demands, disputes etc?

No one can say for sure…

We could end up repeating the same mistakes of old…

We need someone who knows what it takes and what is required to elevate a team and consistently have us competing and becoming a force in the league… someone with the nous and knowledge rather than someone facing new and unexpected challenges… no more learning on the job please…

Eventually, we want to be competing regularly in Europe… these are the stated ambitions of the board… let’s back those words up with actions then instead of continually wasting time and money…

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Potter would probably end up like Lambert here… it’s a completely different job, a lot more pressure and responsibilities to deal with, higher profile players on higher wages… the Villa job is nothing like the Brighton job.

Personally, I’m fed up of British managers. It’s time we made a proper appointment, Poch would be perfect.

Whether that’s realistic or not, we’d just have to wait and see. I’d like to think that we’d at least attempt an approach and get into a dialogue… I think we have a lot of appeal personally… getting the PSG job may have overly influenced people’s views on him. He’s not seen in the same bracket as a Pep or Klopp… he doesn’t have that kind of track record.

What he CAN do is build a club, a proper team that plays an effective and attractive style of football. He strikes me as the kind of man that loves a project, time to develop and build something… he can do that here…

I’m sure he’d get a lot of backing here, much more so than he ever did at Spurs…

We need proper coaching, we have talented and technically proficient players - it’s time we brought the best out of them…

There are alternatives to Poch but getting him would be a major statement of intent and prove that we are not just all talk…

Potter has proven himself at a number of levels though. I think he’d be just fine. Much better resume than LambHurt

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It would be nothing like the Brighton job. Again, it’s a risk, can he handle the pressure and expectation? Will he be overwhelmed? Can he deal with higher profile players, egos, higher wages, demands, disputes etc?

No one can say for sure…

We could end up repeating the same mistakes of old…

We need someone who knows what it takes and what is required to elevate a team and consistently have us competing and becoming a force in the league… someone with the nous and knowledge rather than someone facing new and unexpected challenges… no more learning on the job please…

Eventually, we want to be competing regularly in Europe… these are the stated ambitions of the board… let’s back those words up with actions then instead of continually wasting time and money…

I feel that if we got Poch, he could be our manager for many many years. I think he could build a legacy at Villa and in 20 years time when Poch's name is mentioned the instant association would be with Villa and not Spurs or PSG or Saints or Espanyol. He would be a Villa man and the man that brought European glory back to our club. (Yes, I do like him 😍)

Edited by Peter Griffin
Fixed a typo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

In the last 40 years we have never taken a risk or gone top shelf. We go for predictable. I didn't want SG as manager but I do like that we tried to change the usual type of appointment and take a risk. But my preference is for top shelf and I have dreamed of Poch at Villa from the days he was at Saints. There is no manager in the world I would take ahead of Poch today. 

I can maybe see what you’re saying but can’t fully agree with you…

Where did Little come form again? Managerial background/record? Leicester?

Would you not say John Gregory was a risk? Largely paid off but he didn’t get the backing… from Wycombe to Villa?

How would you, for instance, categorise the likes of Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo? I wouldn’t call any of them predictable or top shelf - all risks and misguided appointments imo.

McLeish??!!!! 😡🤣

Maybe Bruce was predictable but at the same time shit and underwhelming, if not disappointing.

MON was probably predictable but a lot of people were excited about it at the time… almost as though it was a coup for us…

4 minutes ago, ChicagoVillan1983 said:

Potter has proven himself at a number of levels though. I think he’d be just fine. Much better resume than LambHurt

Ok, but at the level we expect or want?

Not writing the guy off or anything, he’s clearly got talent. 

But it’s still a risk in my eyes…

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I feel that if we got Poch, he could be our manager for many many years. I think he could build a legacy at Villa and in 20 years time when Poch's name is mentioned the instant association would be with Villa and not Spurs or PSG or Saints or Espanyol. He would be a Villa man and then man that brought European glory back to our club. (Yes, I do like him 😍)

This is the dream…

I would love it! 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I feel that if we got Poch, he could be our manager for many many years. I think he could build a legacy at Villa and in 20 years time when Poch's name is mentioned the instant association would be with Villa and not Spurs or PSG or Saints or Espanyol. He would be a Villa man and the man that brought European glory back to our club. (Yes, I do like him 😍)

Poch and our two Emis…

the dream team 😃

🇦🇷🇦🇷🇦🇷

• Like 1

I can maybe see what you’re saying but can’t fully agree with you…

Where did Little come form again? Managerial background/record? Leicester?

Would you not say John Gregory was a risk? Largely paid off but he didn’t get the backing… from Wycombe to Villa?

How would you, for instance, categorise the likes of Lambert, Sherwood, Garde, Di Matteo? I wouldn’t call any of them predictable or top shelf - all risks and misguided appointments imo.

McLeish??!!!! 😡🤣

Maybe Bruce was predictable but at the same time shit and underwhelming, if not disappointing.

MON was probably predictable but a lot of people were excited about it at the time… almost as though it was a coup for us…

The ex Villa players are a little too predictable. Lambert's record and performances at Norwich made him a predictable choice for a PL club. Garde and DiMatteo, yes, I will take that on the chin, they were not predictable. Garde needed more time, we turfed him out too soon. 

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d love Potter just to see how he could do with better resources. But deep down something tells me he would fail miserably with the increased pressure. 

This is the concern… we should stop taking these risks and end up getting burned again…

let’s show some ACTUAL ambition for once…

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d love Potter just to see how he could do with better resources. But deep down something tells me he would fail miserably with the increased pressure. 

He did great work at Ostersund with probably 1/50th of Brightons budget

4 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

The ex Villa players are a little too predictable. Lambert's record and performances at Norwich made him a predictable choice for a PL club. Garde and DiMatteo, yes, I will take that on the chin, they were not predictable. Garde needed more time, we turfed him out too soon. 

Yeah I felt a bit sorry for Garde really, what a shit situation to walk into and have to tolerate. No idea if he was a decent manager or not but FFS we could have backed him a little… the Lerner area (after MON - the tw*t) were largely miserable and depressing…

Felt sorry for Lambert too tbh… the way we cut back was alarming… we signed some real shite… almost a miracle we weren’t relegated sooner…

Benteke was amazing for us, where would we have been without him?

We absolutely ruined and drained the life out of old Paul…

Let’s not do the same kind of thing again please…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

This is the concern… we should stop taking these risks and end up getting burned again…

let’s show some ACTUAL ambition for once…

Every appointment is a risk though. Everton saw Rafa as a safe pair of hands

Even if we hired Nagelsmann or Klopp it would be a risk

Just now, Zatman said:

Every appointment is a risk though. Everton saw Rafa as a safe pair of hands

Even if we hired Nagelsmann or Klopp it would be a risk

Sure, but I’m sure you guys get the gist of what I’m saying… not too “great” a risk is what I mean… plus, I’m not after an old has been here either…

I am dreaming of Poch as our manager, let me indulge in that 🤣

• Like 2

Anyway, it’s going to be hard and costly to bring Potter in… why would he really want to leave them when he’s made all this progress and is riding high?

Poch is available if he can be persuaded and would get the best out of our South Americans and youngsters, he would build something great here and get the backing he requires… I can see every player lifting their games under him, a positive atmosphere and players more likely to stick around, Buendia would be ace, Emi even better and probably appointed captain, Luiz signing a new contract… we’d sign some brilliant players… play some lovely football and us fans could enjoy ourselves again…

Don’t wake me up yet…

🤣

• Like 2