Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

Would Poch really want the Chelsea job? Yes they have a big budget but the expectation is to win everything. He could end a season as runner up for all 4 competitions and still potentially get sacked if the football ain’t great.  Plus has he even done enough to earn such a job?

All we want is top half for now and he would paid handsomely for it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TRO said:

If Graham Potter is to become the next Villa Manager, I fear we are going down a similar road to what we did with Dean......boyhood villa fan yes, but the real worry is, The backroom setup at Brighton, is like Brentford.....and He can't take that with him, like Dean couldn't.

Lets just have a look at his record at Brighton

P       W      D     L     Win Ratio      PPG

134    41    46   47       30.6%        1.26

Now thats on the back of a good recruitment set up.....which ours is debatable.

That to me, looks like "hard to beat"....which is something, right now, but not much more than that.

I still fear, that if Gerrard goes and the case is strengthening by the day......it still won't fix our woes, by that alone.

I think there is a deep rooted issue, here....but not sure what.

I mean, Solskjaer had a better record at Utd. It doesn’t mean Solskjaer was a better manager.

What Potter has achieved at Brighton is excellent relative to the value of the signings he’s made.

I think the issues are fairly obvious. We’ve rebuilt the squad 3 times in the last 4 or 5 years and lost our talisman. And then we’ve appointed a very inexperienced manager who has lost the dressing room.

I agree it won’t be solved overnight, even by a good manager, but I don’t think it’s a major organisational sickness a la Man Utd (or Villa under Lerner).

Can i ask of Villa fans this - genuinely. I’ve seen some say we want a manager who is elite in coaching himself, smart footballing IQ and tactically top drawer. Granted Gerrard is none of those things. However, the very fans that will say that also call for almost instantaneous success. Want Europe. Top 4 mooted about at times. Are folk mature and grown up to realise that if we do this properly, and it’s a systematic approach with good structures and actual coaching - it still won’t come overnight . I’ve been alive to see Villa win the sum total of 2 league cups in the 90s. I’m not gonna put 1982 in my mouth or dine out on it because i didn’t live that. It’s the younger Villa fan that has the sense of entitlement that i don’t understand. It’s short termism, Purslow vanity projects - it doesn’t work. Get a proper coach but it will still be slow, just want us to do things right. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Can i ask of Villa fans this - genuinely. I’ve seen some say we want a manager who is elite in coaching himself, smart footballing IQ and tactically top drawer. Granted Gerrard is none of those things. However, the very fans that will say that also call for almost instantaneous success. Want Europe. Top 4 mooted about at times. Are folk mature and grown up to realise that if we do this properly, and it’s a systematic approach with good structures and actual coaching - it still won’t come overnight . I’ve been alive to see Villa win the sum total of 2 league cups in the 90s. I’m not gonna put 1982 in my mouth or dine out on it because i didn’t live that. It’s the younger Villa fan that has the sense of entitlement that i don’t understand. It’s short termism, Purslow vanity projects - it doesn’t work. Get a proper coach but it will still be slow, just want us to do things right. 

Just start with some form of organisation 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, est1874 said:

Anyway. Assuming Poch wouldn't be interested, it's Rodgers for me tbh. 2 year contract. I don't know why but I just have a feeling he'd be an excellent interim to get us back around the top 10.

Yes It might look strange on paper as Rodgers has not had a good 2022 but perhaps his time has come to a natural end at Leicester anyway. By moving down the road it would be not that much of a disruption for him. Can be a bit Brentish but quite a fan of Rodgers. At least he is a proper coach unlike our current boss. 

I don't see Brighton letting Potter go (who may also be waiting for a better offer or the England gig) and Poch seems very far-fetched.

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Yes It might look strange on paper as Rodgers has not had a good 2022 but perhaps his time has come to a natural end at Leicester anyway. By moving down the road it would be not that much of a disruption for him. Can be a bit Brentish but quite a fan of Rodgers. At least he is a proper coach unlike our current boss. 

I don't see Brighton letting Potter go (who may also be waiting for a better offer or the England gig) and Poch seems very far-fetched.

I've no reactions left today (😂) but exactly my thinking.