Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

29 minutes ago, useless said:

I think Villa has a brighter future than Brighton, Brighton are this era's version of Swansea and Southampton, they too were hailed as brilliant clubs with forward thinking models showing others the way it should be done, but they faded into midtable at best, and I think the same too will happen to Brighton, if Potter has any sense if we offer him the job he should take it whilst his stock is high.

Faded into midtable because the forward thinking managers they had (rodgers and poch) moved on.

Get the right manager and you get success. Has to be potter, rodgers or poch. Pref rodgers for me.

17 minutes ago, messi11 said:

😢

I don't understand the relevance?

Edit...based on the laughing emotion I'd gather you don't understand the question. 

Edited by Nigel
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, thabucks said:

Keep hearing  Poch is a pipe dream - the guy ultimately failed at PSG was rejected by Man Utd - has worked wonders at Spurs also Southampton to a degree - why is he all of a sudden some elite manager whose unattainable yet Potters name bandied as a realistic target? 

He was rejected by Man Utd?

27 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Thing is if Potter signs for us, Brighton will replace him with someone of a similar potential/calibre from obscurity. 

Would be interesting to see who they would appoint next.

Brighton could take Liam Manning off MK Dons and it would probably be seemless and he’d take to it no bother. 

If it wasn’t for Poch, Marco Rose, Xabi Alonso,  De Zerbi all available currently I think I’d be behind Gerrard more but it’s not to look at that list and think everyone would do better with the players Gerrard Has at his disposal. 

Edited by thabucks

Of the names so far, only Potter would get anywhere near a shortlist. I'd take Poch, but absolutely no way he'd come here. His last job was managing Mbappe at PSG for god sake. 

Dyche- Seriously have some of you lost your senses???!? Did any of you ever see Burnley? He's why everyone who watches the PL breathed a sigh of releif when they went down. 

Rodgers- I used to have time for him, but he's gone backwards with Leicester, and I absolutely hate watching them on MOTD. Spiteful team. He'd be perfect for Man U. 

Brighton's managers don't normally come from obscurity, Potter came from the Championship, not sure where Hughton came from but he was obvioulsy well known, before that they had the likes of Oscar Garcia and Gus Poyet.

Their next manager should Potter leave them will probably be somone of a similar profile, that is a manager that has done well in the Championship, I see many speaking fondly of Ange Postecoglou and his playing style, maybe he's the type that would suit Brighton.

It was actually Swansea that brought both Potter and Cooper from relative obscurity, so maybe they're the ones to watch out for when it comes to finding promising managers.

18 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Of the names so far, only Potter would get anywhere near a shortlist. I'd take Poch, but absolutely no way he'd come here. His last job was managing Mbappe at PSG for god sake. 

Dyche- Seriously have some of you lost your senses???!? Did any of you ever see Burnley? He's why everyone who watches the PL breathed a sigh of releif when they went down. 

Rodgers- I used to have time for him, but he's gone backwards with Leicester, and I absolutely hate watching them on MOTD. Spiteful team. He'd be perfect for Man U. 

I get what you are trying to say, but the likes of Ancelotti went to Everton.

The Premier League is a massive pull.

Managers who have been in it, are sometimes very much up for getting back into it, even if it means starting at a lower point to build.

This obviously massively depends on the ambition and " project " shown by the owners.

Villa is a big step up for Potter in terms of experience and learning his craft. At Brighton he's under no pressure. At Swansea he was under no pressure. Does he really think he can step into a top 6 team or England by staying at Brighton?

Potter to Villa makes sense to me. 

55 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

PS every manager is a gamble

Well yes, but some are much bigger gambles than others. There’s no reason for a club of our resources to have to take a punt on an unproven manager - and Gerrard was & is unproven.

We have to get a manager who has shown they can get a team to overachieve in one of Europe’s top leagues - England, Germany, Spain, Italy, maybe France/Portugal - and who has a track record of building a good long term culture.

There’s no reason really with the players, finances, training facilities, fanbase, etc that we shouldn’t be able to attract a very good manager.

The problem is doing it mid season will make it much tougher. I think Potter could well be a pipe dream, although I would definitely welcome him here.

Poch would be a great option if he was interested.

I don’t think we should be looking at “promising” managers in the Championship or whatever. What’s the benefit?

Edit: and although Dyche does meet the criteria, I wouldn’t be keen on that brand of football. Managers like Dyche / Warnock / Pulis / Allardyce, as good as they are at what they do, are better suited to smaller clubs that are light on resources, and don’t have realistic long term aims of playing European football. I believe we genuinely could be a European side in the near future with the right coach.

Edited by KentVillan