Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

43 minutes ago, useless said:

My unpopular view on Potter, with a surprising twist at the end that I don't feel like explaining

Top six won't go anywhere near Potter as it stands.

At Swansea they were in the bottom half for most of his time there, they improved slightly towards the end but still only finished eleventh, Steve Cooper replaced him and took them to the Play-Off Final.

At Brighton first two seasons he barely did any better than Hughton, they improved last season and did well, but they have a lot of good players it wasn't exactly an amazing achievement, other managers have done better with lesser squads.

This season they've started well, but we're only four games into the season, this time last season Everton were on ten points after four games.

I think it's questionable whether we would go for him never mind top six, and even if we did despite the calls for him now, when it came to it I doubt our fans would have patience for his style of football, and results suffereing while the team has to adapt to his style of play, also Brighton's home record has been pretty poor with him as manager, I think it was one win in 2020 and they had one of the worst home records in the league last season as well.

All that said I wouldn't be disappointed if we appointed him.

I agree with your sentiment, if you want the next Potter, get Steve Cooper.  The bloke hasn’t failed anywhere yet 

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think if we lose tomorrow, the club will start the workings on replacing him unless he pulls out a miracle against Arsenal or Man City.

I don't think we'd replace him before those games as in many ways, it's better to let the outgoing manager take the flak and give the new man a chance at a decent start.

If we lose tomorrow it's hard to see us not having three points from six games to start a season that was full of high hopes.

it's an enormous game.

I'm concerned about where on earth we'll find the next manager.

Got very little faith in the club's research capabilities at the moment. We can get good players if their current clubs want to sell them and we're happy to give them £150k a week. That's not hard to do and won't get us top 6/7/8. Any wallies with loads of money can do that.

We're getting so little out of the incredible owners. What a missed opportunity.

Purslow hired Dean Smith. Was Smith hard to 'spot'? Not really. We were a mid-placed Championship club, we couldn't appoint a huge amount of people and Smith's Brentford had ripped us apart several times.

Then Purslow hired his underqualified mate because he wants to get invited to his Sunday BBQs one day.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm concerned about where on earth we'll find the next manager.

Got very little faith in the club's research capabilities at the moment. We can get good players if their current clubs want to sell them and we're happy to give them £150k a week. That's not hard to do and won't get us top 6/7/8. Any wallies with loads of money can do that.

We're getting so little out of the incredible owners. What a missed opportunity.

Purslow hired Dean Smith. Was Smith hard to 'spot'? Not really. We were a mid-placed Championship club, we couldn't appoint a huge amount of people and Smith's Brentford had ripped us apart several times.

Then Purslow hired his underqualified mate because he wants to get invited to his Sunday BBQs one day.

There are enough options out there. Maybe we doesn’t find the perfect manager, but we should do a lot better than Gerrard. Some very good names have been mention in here, if we get one of those we should be able to improve.

Not going for Potter when we sacked Smith but hired Gerrard, must be one of the biggest mistake the club ever made.

This time a manager like Pochettino shouldn’t be to hard to spot, hopefully Purslow also manage to see it.

5 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

Not going for Potter when we sacked Smith but hired Gerrard, must be one of the biggest mistake the club ever made.

Perhaps one of the biggest missed opportunities. All the clubs at our sort of level Leicester, Everton, West Ham will all be going for him next. Wouldn't be surprised to see a Liverpool or Tottenham gamble when their bosses go. Tottenham definitely as Levy will jump at the chance to have a manager who will demand less from him again.

I think a big stumbling block with Potter will be the fee Brighton would be holding out for, who knows how true but it's been reported that it's prevented clubs from bothering to approach previously. 

I'd be delighted with Rodgers though, things have gone stale at Leicester it seems which is just a reality of football at most clubs, but the track record speaks for itself really. Think he could be a great fit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Indigo said:

I think a big stumbling block with Potter will be the fee Brighton would be holding out for, who knows how true but it's been reported that it's prevented clubs from bothering to approach previously. 

I'd be delighted with Rodgers though, things have gone stale at Leicester it seems which is just a reality of football at most clubs, but the track record speaks for itself really. Think he could be a great fit.

He'd be perfect for where we are. We're pretty much at the same spot Leicester were at before he took over. Club with a decent squad, underperforming. Things get stale, the club could stop investing etc, but it doesn't invalidate what he's done there. We can worry about things getting stale 3/4 years down the line. Right now we need to move up the table and play good football. That's pretty much what he's done at every club he's been at.

8 hours ago, Indigo said:

I don't quite know why, but I don't think clubs have fees for managers.

You just have to pay up their contracts, and the manager has to want to come. I think?

Not 100% but I think the registration is different and that's what you're paying for with a player.

Potter would 'cost' less than £10m. Confident he's earning less than half of what we're paying Gerrard a year :crylaugh:

EDIT: Maybe not actually. Just read a few different times clubs have commanded fees.

No chance then. I don't think he'd be desperate to come anyway and Brighton aren't stupid. They'll probably charge mugs who chuck money around like us £25m.

Edited by Tomaszk

18 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

You just have to pay up their contracts, and the manager has to want to come. I think?

Not 100% but I think the registration is different and that's what you're paying for with a player.

Potter would 'cost' less than £10m. Confident he's earning less than half of what we're paying Gerrard a year :crylaugh:

EDIT: Maybe not actually. Just read a few different times clubs have commanded fees.

No chance then. I don't think he'd be desperate to come anyway and Brighton aren't stupid. They'll probably charge mugs who chuck money around like us £25m.

Depends if the coach/manager wants to leave. Imagine keeping a coach around because you demanded to much for them despite them being desperate to go. You just wouldn’t want them around the team.
For me if a coach wants to go then you just find a suitable solution to let them leave. Same goes for a player actually. 

Just now, Tayls said:

Depends if the coach/manager wants to leave. Imagine keeping a coach around because you demanded to much for them despite them being desperate to go. You just wouldn’t want them around the team.
For me if a coach wants to go then you just find a suitable solution to let them leave. Same goes for a player actually. 

Think they just put them on gardening leave

The reason people want Potter is because they see the cause and effect from his influence. Of course it doesn’t go his way all the time, it’s football.

What people see is a coach setting a team up to have the best chance of getting a result, and that’s all you can ask for from the guy in charge.

Players at the top level are talented athletes with for the most part high level motivation and mindset. We NEED someone who is elite at the bigger picture on the pitch and not another manager who thinks results come from just constantly kicking players up the arse. Of course that side shouldn’t be neglected, but it’s not like Potter is known as a soft touch, is he?

Just let me see a plan being executed and effective 😑

• Like 1

If we want to push on, we need to look beyond English\Irish\Scottish etc. 

We need something relatively proven at the level we want to reach or near it at least. 

If we are to swoop for someone wanting to prove himself, go for someone in the Bundesliga, or similar. 

But what do I now. Get Cooper and see. Feels like more of the same. 

20 minutes ago, daft said:

If we want to push on, we need to look beyond English\Irish\Scottish etc. 

We need something relatively proven at the level we want to reach or near it at least. 

If we are to swoop for someone wanting to prove himself, go for someone in the Bundesliga, or similar. 

But what do I now. Get Cooper and see. Feels like more of the same. 

I find it hard to grasp that clubs don’t pay out 10-15m wages for a top manager(spurs/conte example) but are happy to splash out 10-20 m on multiple average players and take the hit when they aren’t up to it.  

Manager is most important person in a team imo

Edited by HeyAnty
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It’s not common but if a manager has a long time left on his contract with a club, the club could refuse to let him talk to another potential employer. Bayern paid Leipzig something like 25m to get Nagelsmann, and his remaining contract with Leipzig wasn’t worth nearly that much.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

I find it hard to grasp that clubs don’t pay out 10-15m wages for a top manager(spurs/conte example) but are happy to splash out 10-20 m on multiple average players and take the hit when they aren’t up to it.  

Manager is most important person in a team imo

Agree with this. Could be an ongoing cultural shift. Most clubs haven’t seen the manager as an asset in the same way as players are, but that is changing.

The importance of people like Pep and Klopp for rebuilding their respective clubs is difficult to argue with, they’re obviously extremely valuable.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Agree with this. Could be an ongoing cultural shift. Most clubs haven’t seen the manager as an asset in the same way as players are, but that is changing.

The importance of people like Pep and Klopp for rebuilding their respective clubs is difficult to argue with, they’re obviously extremely valuable.

Diego Simeone has been at Atletico Madrid for 11 years now. That's quite fantastic.