Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Anyone would think we have a championship squad, compared to most other teams around us we have invested more and brought in so called big signings... I'm certain a manager who knew what they were doing could get us top half.

Likes of Poch/Rodgers would be happy to work with guys like Buendia that's for sure. Ings looked very good in Hasenhuttl system so perhaps would be more involved in game as would Ollie. Cash is a decent prem FB nowadays with further room for improvement, Martinez top keeper so no issue there. Luiz would probably be favourite of both although probably a lost cause with the contract.

You never know with new managers sometimes, Eddie Howe has made Joelinthan a player after all at Newcastle with a positional change.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Nope because if we get a bit of luck we could do better. The point is, it wouldn’t necessarily be awful because our squad, in my opinion, is not as good as some make out. It may only take a couple of well thought out signings to change that but we aren’t there yet.

A bit of luck to do better 😮😮

How about some coaching

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

We could make a statement signing as manager and go for Sarina Wiegman 😀

pinch for my thoughts too...

we have been first in most things, in football...... good call.

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Does it really matter nowadays? Most clubs now have 3 managers in five years or shorter time. Someone like Conte didn't care last season Spurs gave Nuno about 10 league games, Gerrard was straight in when we sacked DS so he'd obviously been sounded out in weeks before which you simply have to do.

Villa job is still attractive as we tend to back our managers with what we've spent since promotion in 2019.

24 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Does it really matter nowadays? Most clubs now have 3 managers in five years or shorter time. Someone like Conte didn't care last season Spurs gave Nuno about 10 league games, Gerrard was straight in when we sacked DS so he'd obviously been sounded out in weeks before which you simply have to do.

Villa job is still attractive as we tend to back our managers with what we've spent since promotion in 2019.

It’s not realistic and not going to happen . We’re 3 games in . 
I’m no advocate of Gerrards tenure at villa didn’t particularly want him . He is here and his been here less than nine months . Results will ultimately be his measure of success but it’s not time yet to wield the axe. The owners are successful business people with other sports business franchises. When and if the time comes I’m sure they will react appropriately. 
we’re Aston Villa not Watford. 

9 minutes ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

It’s not realistic and not going to happen . We’re 3 games in . 
I’m no advocate of Gerrards tenure at villa didn’t particularly want him . He is here and his been here less than nine months . Results will ultimately be his measure of success but it’s not time yet to wield the axe. The owners are successful business people with other sports business franchises. When and if the time comes I’m sure they will react appropriately. 
we’re Aston Villa not Watford. 

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we're not in bottom 3 by final whistle of Man. City game. After that I think we have Leicester away and Southampton at home. Then two week international break.

Fair enough if people think we'll win 2-3 of our next 6 games as I've seen little evidence of it so far. Even then we'll probably only be mid table.

If we drop into bottom 3 with poor performances I can't see how he survives given we sacked DS when we weren't quite bottom 3 bad so would seem a strange metric to give Gerrard endless games to get his squad going.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we're not in bottom 3 by final whistle of Man. City game. After that I think we have Leicester away and Southampton at home. Then two week international break.

Fair enough if people think we'll win 2-3 of our next 6 games as I've seen little evidence of it so far. Even then we'll probably only be mid table.

If we drop into bottom 3 with poor performances I can't see how he survives given we sacked DS when we weren't quite bottom 3 bad so would seem a strange metric to give Gerrard endless games to get his squad going.

Smiths 5 game run of defeats were :

Spurs, Wolves, Arsenal, West Ham and Southampton.  I’d argue if we won at least one of them he would have got longer. 

So if we lose on Sunday it’s very likely we lose the next 2 after that for 4 defeats in a row. If that’s happen I think he will be sacked. 

However I think we’ll win Sunday so he’ll be safe for now.

49 minutes ago, Nigel said:

God I hope this thread dies after West ham!

Why would one game change a long period of poor football.  It would need a consistent run of games of good football for this thread to come close to dying.

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

God I hope this thread dies after West ham!

It won't. Unless we announce a new manager very shortly after the game is concluded. 

We need a sustained run of good performances and decent results for this thread to go quiet. 

• Like 2

The only way this thread goes away is if there's a miraculous upturn in performances and results over the next 5 games that shows significant fundamental improved standards of play.

Which given the track record we have currently, and the teams we play in the near future, isn't going to happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I’d agree and any manager worth their salt has more than enough arrogance to believe they can do better than the guy they replace. Let’s face it right now he wouldn’t be a hard act to follow.

I also don’t think that NSWE have a reputation for being impatient owners. They inherited Bruce and gave him some time before pulling the trigger. Dean had lots of time and he undoubtedly earned it. I wouldn’t disagree with his departure, although I was genuinely upset when he left, that was more an emotional response because of who he was. 

SG has had 10 months and ideally he’d be doing much better. In the great scheme of things changing managers every 10 months isn’t going to be healthy or in any plan, business or football.  For these questions to have arisen at this relatively early part of his tenure, can possibly be put down to impatience, illogical personal dislike etc. but that’s a relatively small amount of people. I think there are growing number of more moderate supporters that have pretty much lost faith in the current manager’s ability to turn us around. The next few weeks, or even days could see those numbers reaching a critical mass. At this point our business savvy owners will be more inclined to lean towards making a change. A lot will depend on the potential candidates for his job. He could already be keeping the hot seat warm until all the ducks line up. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lexicon said:

It won't. Unless we announce a new manager very shortly after the game is concluded. 

We need a sustained run of good performances and decent results for this thread to go quiet. 

Rubbish,  this can be done with Gerrard but this only continues to start with the 2nd win in a week.

You or anyone else saying simply 'it won't finish' has an agenda i don't agree with.

I want whats best for aston villa and that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be another in the never ending cycle of new management. Best and easiest way for us to progress is to do so under the existing set up.

However I feel some on here have decided that they don't want Gerrard what ever happens, that this next new manager will be the one we get it all right. Yet all the managers mentioned so far have all failed at multiple clubs, why will ours be any different?

The one thing any manager will definitely need is time (outside of clubs with infinite resources anyway), any club not doing that will be doomed to failure.

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Likes of Poch/Rodgers would be happy to work with guys like Buendia that's for sure. Ings looked very good in Hasenhuttl system so perhaps would be more involved in game as would Ollie. Cash is a decent prem FB nowadays with further room for improvement, Martinez top keeper so no issue there. Luiz would probably be favourite of both although probably a lost cause with the contract.

You never know with new managers sometimes, Eddie Howe has made Joelinthan a player after all at Newcastle with a positional change.

Viera says we are a Europe quality side. 

Obvious flattery, but his general point is clear. We should be better with the array of talent we have.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Peter Griffin said:

We could make a statement signing as manager and go for Sarina Wiegman 😀

I’d got her earmarked for the England job. As a bonus, if getting rid of Southgate isn’t bonus enough, imagine the meltdown in Qatar if we appointed her before the World Cup. 

1 hour ago, Nigel said:

Rubbish,  this can be done with Gerrard but this only continues to start with the 2nd win in a week.

You or anyone else saying simply 'it won't finish' has an agenda i don't agree with.

I want whats best for aston villa and that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be another in the never ending cycle of new management. Best and easiest way for us to progress is to do so under the existing set up.

However I feel some on here have decided that they don't want Gerrard what ever happens, that this next new manager will be the one we get it all right. Yet all the managers mentioned so far have all failed at multiple clubs, why will ours be any different?

The one thing any manager will definitely need is time (outside of clubs with infinite resources anyway), any club not doing that will be doomed to failure.

Did you stop reading before the end of my post?

Or not read what I was responding to?

🤨