Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Would he though? I do wonder how much FFP is hampering the club. Wage bill increasing at a much faster pace than revenue. 

Spurs have spent double what we have so far this window, so either we have no money to spend or the owners are holding back funds from Gerrard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Would he though? I do wonder how much FFP is hampering the club. Wage bill increasing at a much faster pace than revenue. 

There's a lot to do in regards to revenue. But hard to increase it substantially unless you regularly expose yourself to Champions League football. Villa could easily be a Premier League equivalent of BvB. A bit of hipster appeal with our name and status of a 'dormant giant'. Well, actually dead, but as long as he corpse isn't smelling too bad we can sell i to the hipsters as 'sleeping'.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Spurs have spent double what we have so far this window, so either we have no money to spend or the owners are holding back funds from Gerrard.

I think you have compare it to revenue and also look at it over a 3 year period for FFP purposes. We spent quite a lot in the first 2 years after promotions. 

Of course I could be totally wrong about that but I don’t think it’s as simple as comparing just this summer with other clubs. 

So whilst our owners would back a new manager. It will be within reason.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

There are lots of comments suggesting different managers would and would not come to Villa and saying 'why would he join us' There are lots of reasons and it is really simple.

1. Aston Villa Football Club is massive and has massive heritage

2. We have Billionaire owners that are making major investment in the club

3. We have world class facilities for training

4. We have a 42k seater stadium and extending to 52k

5 We are the biggest club in Birmingham by miles

6. We have a squad of very talented players

7. We have excellent youth training setup

8. Our owners are setting up another Villa in the MLS, increasing brand value and reputation

9. Doris the tea lady is without question the best in the business

The idea that we could not attract Potter is lunacy. The only thing that would keep Potter at Brighton is if he has a personal connection with the club

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

How does the money Spurs spent in this window have a link to the money or strategy at Villa? 

7 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

There are lots of comments suggesting different managers would and would not come to Villa and saying 'why would he join us' There are lots of reasons and it is really simple.

1. Aston Villa Football Club is massive and has massive heritage

2. We have Billionaire owners that are making major investment in the club

3. We have world class facilities for training

4. We have a 42k seater stadium and extending to 52k

5 We are the biggest club in Birmingham by miles

6. We have a squad of very talented players

7. We have excellent youth training setup

8. Our owners are setting up another Villa in the MLS, increasing brand value and reputation

9. Doris the tea lady is without question the best in the business

The idea that we could not attract Potter is lunacy. The only thing that would keep Potter at Brighton is if he has a personal connection with the club

I agree. If the club really wanted Potter they could get Potter.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think you have compare it to revenue and also look at it over a 3 year period for FFP purposes. We spent quite a lot in the first 2 years after promotions. 

Of course I could be totally wrong about that but I don’t think it’s as simple as comparing just this summer with other clubs. 

So whilst our owners would back a new manager. It will be within reason.

I agree that we have to spent within reason and we have to work within FFP guidelines. Just a small point though. We are actually in a 4 year FFP window as the two Covid years are taken as one and averaged out. Also, we are allowed to have Covid related losses which are not negatively counted towards FFP. And lastly, and probably most importantly. From next season, our wage bill can only be 90% of revenue and the limit will drop by 10% each until it reaches 70% of revenue. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

How does the money Spurs spent in this window have a link to the money or strategy at Villa? 

I think I read the comment I was responding to wrong.

Someone was suggesting we could attract Poch because we could spend more now than what he could spend when he was at Spurs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I think I read the comment I was responding to wrong.

Someone was suggesting we could attract Poch because we could spend more now than what he could spend when he was at Spurs.

He was fairly restricted during his time there. Didn't he have a season where he spent nothing. At the time, the tight git Levy wouldn't pay a proper fee for Jack and offered a derisory amount plush Josh Onomah and a half packet of toffos. If we were to emply Poch, I would expect he would be strongly supported in the market but the challenge for any manager at Villa is we are without doubt at the stage of we must have player exits t justify player additions

30 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree. If the club really wanted Potter they could get Potter.

Had more chance in the summer.

Now he's coming in with much less money to spend.

Goes for every replacement.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Had more chance in the summer.

Now he's coming in with much less money to spend.

Goes for every replacement.

I personally think the club could appoint him at any time. Money talks. 

He would end up earning more than he ever dreamed of though. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He once went 18 months without signing a single player. U think we'd give him what he wants here, within reason.

10 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He once went 18 months without signing a single player. U think we'd give him what he wants here, within reason.

Admittedly I think Potter could do a very good job with this squad.

He's also used to working with impotent strikers. Lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Admittedly I think Potter could do a very good job with this squad.

He's also used to working with impotent strikers. Lol

I’m not sure that’s true, Ollie’s just had a kid 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What would people think to Gio van Bronckhorst 😏... A better, cheaper choice when Gerrard came in who seems to have done incredibly well since. Won Eredivisie, Scottish Cup (as many trophies in Scotland in a sixth of the time) got Rangers to Uefa Cup Final and into Champions League. Serial winner as a player too, multiple leagues and cups! 

I'm only half joking, but does go to show that the options at the time we got rid of Dean were richer than the club seemed to think.