Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Rodgers is a colossal bottle job - how many times they bottle getting top 4? 

Bottle? They have no right to be near there with the money other teams spend. 

It's success that they've been able to compete. 

• Like 1

Why on earth would Rodger’s leave Leicester for us? Both clubs would have to sack their managers in order for it to happen, but then we’d be pouncing on a manager that has been sacked from a team around us in the same league? Leicester are a better club overall at the moment - financial resources or not. 

59 minutes ago, useless said:

In three full seasons with Leicester Rodgers has finished 5th twice and 8th, and also won an FA Cup, in the season when he took over them with ten games to go, they finished sixth in the form guide based on those final ten games.

Feels like we've seen this before, a manager does well at a club but the fans feel they should be doing better, but when that manager leaves things don't get better they get worse and the fans realise they didn't know how good they had it.

Rodger's time with Leicester might be drawing to a natural close, but he's done a very good job with them, and it's highly unlikely that their next appointment will do better than he has done.

and board not backing him this summer

23 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Why on earth would Rodger’s leave Leicester for us? Both clubs would have to sack their managers in order for it to happen, but then we’d be pouncing on a manager that has been sacked from a team around us in the same league? Leicester are a better club overall at the moment - financial resources or not. 

Rodgers seems close to being sacked, Leicester fans are almost as negative as us at this point so he's likely to be on the market soon. He wouldn't be my choice though. Miles better than SG obviously but not the injection of confidence Villa need.

8 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s starting to feel like it doesn’t even matter who our Manager is, we’re destined for averageness at best.

This is the essence of it I am afraid. 

Like, you see how Newcastle played yesterday and you just can’t imagine us coming up with a performance like that, and they’re no better than us on paper.

Save for a couple of 2nd place finishes in the early 90’s and two league cup wins in the mid 90’s we’ve been the definition of average, maybe that’s just our identity and place in the world. 

edit - in my lifetime, I meant to add

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It’s starting to feel like it doesn’t even matter who our Manager is, we’re destined for averageness at best.

I suppose it's better than being annual relegation candidates.

Just.

15 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Not true at all. Contrast our fortunes with Newcastle since Gerrard / Howe were appointed. 

12 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Didn't think Potter was all that, but he's changing my mind.

The big risk is his next club. A young, promising manager, working wonders at a club with far less resources, playing exciting football. Sounds a bit like Paul Lambert at one point in time ;) 

• Shocked 1

Has anyone actually made their thoughts about Gerrard clear to the owners at a match? Have there been any boos or chants aimed at him? I am worried that the owners are nowhere near thinking about his position and I would say that there is far less of the fan base happy with Gerrard at the moment than there was with Smith when he was axed.

I never like the idea of booing your team, and I don't think it's the team that are the target of fan's frustration at the moment. I do feel that our frustration with Gerrard needs to be aired more publicly than it is being at the moment. Sky won't give it any coverage or debate as they love him, as do all of their pundits, but something at a match cannot be glossed over.

37 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Has anyone actually made their thoughts about Gerrard clear to the owners at a match? Have there been any boos or chants aimed at him? I am worried that the owners are nowhere near thinking about his position and I would say that there is far less of the fan base happy with Gerrard at the moment than there was with Smith when he was axed.

I never like the idea of booing your team, and I don't think it's the team that are the target of fan's frustration at the moment. I do feel that our frustration with Gerrard needs to be aired more publicly than it is being at the moment. Sky won't give it any coverage or debate as they love him, as do all of their pundits, but something at a match cannot be glossed over.

I'd be surprised if the club doesn't have people that look on social media, and also I doubt the club are ignoring the absybmal performances on the pitch.

55 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Like, you see how Newcastle played yesterday and you just can’t imagine us coming up with a performance like that, and they’re no better than us on paper.

Save for a couple of 2nd place finishes in the early 90’s and two league cup wins in the mid 90’s we’ve been the definition of average, maybe that’s just our identity and place in the world. 

edit - in my lifetime, I meant to add

Unfortunately it is. Every season I’ve had to listen to Liverpool fans talk about how it’s going to be their year even when they were average but each year they as a club expect the league title. Then they finally won it again. 

We on the other hand think Pochettino is out of our reach. Hence why we are as you say destined for averageness.

No belief, no desire, no ambition to win trophies (eventually).