Stadiums that feel dangerous

Marka Ragnos

On 08/10/2022 at 20:02, VillaChris said:

Selhurst Park seemingly hasn't had a lick of paint on it since 1980s.

Never watched a match there but would be interested to know what the away end conditions are like.

Did go to Everton a few years back and while it's brilliant for that old school atmosphere feeling again the away end felt a bit haphazard with a steep gangway to get to the lower tier.

I've been to Selhurst Park. The infamous disallowed Lansbury goal. It's truly awful, rust everywhere and we were at the back, could only see players feet on the far side of the pitch because of the TV Gantry 

Really with all the money in the game there is absolutely no need for a ground to be that poor. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I went to The Sty in about 1985 age 15. I will never go back.... And at that age you feel immortal. 

Never seen so many bricks chucked about. 

I remember walking down past The Watering Hole next to this massive bloke with tattoos all down his neck (when no one had tattoos) and he just bellowed "WHERE ARE YOU VILLA?“ in this deep rumbling voice.  I wasn't owning up to anything 😂😂

Edited by sidcow

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, I went to The Sty in about 1985 age 15. I will never go back.... And at that age you feel immortal. 

Never seen so many bricks chucked about. 

I remember walking down past The Watering Hole next to this massive bloke with tattoos all down his neck (when no one had tattoos) and he just bellowed "WHERE ARE YOU VILLA?“ in this deep rumbling voice.  I wasn't owning up to anything 😂😂

The Sty has always been a shit hole. 

I went in the 70s when Beelzebub dived for a penalty, in the 80s when Garry Thompson got a brace, the year we won the league when Allan Evans buried that volley, and the year we pelted Noel Blake with more money than he stole out of other players pockets in the Villa Park changing room. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a Leeds resident since the early 70s, I'm bound to say Elland Road. I can remember Leeds thugs attacking Villa fans, with the local police watching and laughing. 

• Like 1

Yep, back in the day Leeds, the Sty, Old Trafford, West Ham and some of the lower league grounds for FA cup games, where the locals seemed to turn up just for a fight. Anfield and Everton maybe, too.

I hated the old Milton End (away) at Pompey as it had no roof and was tiny. The home fans would congregate over the other side of the stands wall where they would lob stones, bricks, bottles, or anything else at you from.

• Like 1

On 08/10/2022 at 15:35, The_Rev said:

I always felt like I was gonna get my head kicked in at Highfield Road. It was usually because we’d come away with three points, but the infamous ’Robbie Keane game’ where Coventry beat us for the first time since colour TV was invented was utterly poisonous.  

Found it. 

• Sad 1

On 15/10/2022 at 21:36, maqroll said:

Back when Coventry was the big derby game. I hated them.

Coventry was never the big derby game. 

And the rule is: they hate us, but we don't hate them. We ignore them, because they are, and always have been, an irrelevance. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Coventry was never the big derby game. 

And the rule is: they hate us, but we don't hate them. We ignore them, because they are, and always have been, an irrelevance. 

From 1994 until 2000 or so it was. Small Heath, Wolves, Baggies all in 2nd division.

17 hours ago, maqroll said:

From 1994 until 2000 or so it was. Small Heath, Wolves, Baggies all in 2nd division.

Nope. It was just another match against some two-bit nobodies. There has to be more to a proper derby than mere geography. 

• Like 1

I think the last bit of real proper mass football violence I witnessed was against Coventry on the road between Witton Station and The Aston Hotel. 

Proper ruckus and a police horse charge. 

Since then the most I've seen is individual brawling and handbags at ten paces. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â