Match Thread: Leeds v Villa

limpid

We are battling, but we are really a bunch of cloggers. 

Our excuse might be injuries but we look short of any particular pattern of play or knowledge of how we might create or score.

We are no longer relegation candidates but we are below average and less than the sum of our parts. Thought Ramsey is showing his excellent U21 form here, very rangey and a good ground coverer. Midfield generally lacking any control or command, it’s all desperate, disjointed stuff.

Edited by thunderball

Not been great but we deserve to be ahead.  Created the better chances but unfortunately we have hit everything straight at the keeper.  Can't see this finishing 11 v 11 - so hope that we aren't the ones who give the ref a decision to make.  Ollie has run around a lot but his reading of the game, first touch and finishing are so far away from PL standard.

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

If this is better then I don't remember Southampton being that bad...

We've pretty much nullified Leeds (I don't remember a chance they've had?  Could be wrong), created 3 very good chances - probably should've done better in finishing - and have battled in the game.

This is exactly the sort of match I was dreading - a pressing side, full of energy is exactly what we struggle against.  But this has been OK.  We've handled them well.

• Like 2

Pretty even half I thought, although we've had the better chances and Coutinho, Bailey and Ramsey might all think they could have put us ahead. The little bit of heat in the game I think is slightly in our favour, Rodrigo in particular looks like he could lose his head.

The injury to Augustinsson is a disaster I think. They'll pick on Konsa at right back and Bailey will need to do an awful lot of work out on the right with no support.

We're still well in this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

This is every bit as bad as the Southampton game. A better team would have scored at least 2 against us by now.

Sorry Stevie, but what exactly is the style of football that you’re trying to implement at Villa? We are going backwards.

It's so similar to Southampton. 2 very very poor looking teams slogging it out. 

1 goal will probably win it.  We've been the better of the 2 incredibly poor teams. I'm not sure that's what our owners are looking for or what Purslow stated he was looking for when sacking Smith. 

No doubt plenty will be confused about why people will moan though. 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

We've pretty much nullified Leeds (I don't remember a chance they've had?  Could be wrong), created 3 very good chances - probably should've done better in finishing - and have battled in the game.

This is exactly the sort of match I was dreading - a pressing side, full of energy is exactly what we struggle against.  But this has been OK.  We've handled them well.

Very accurate 

Got it on the radio and we don’t seem to be playing too bad . Should be ahead by all accounts . If Leeds don’t improve it seems we really should be able to grab a goal and go away with the points . Seems another heated affair between the two teams which the radio commentary team keep harping on about there being a rivalry between the two teams . 

1 minute ago, thunderball said:

Our excuse might be injuries but we look short of any particular pattern of play or knowledge of how we might create or score.

Yep what is supposed to be our pattern of play.  I’ve heard that we are supposed to be more pragmatic but that’s all I’ve heard.  I see no pattern of play, just cloggers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thunderball said:

We are battling, but we are really a bunch of cloggers. 

We are no longer relegation candidates but we are below average and less than the sum of our parts. Thought Ramsey is showing his excellent U21 form here, very rangey and a good ground coverer. Midfield generally lacking any control or command, it’s all desperate, disjointed stuff.

A little soon for that sort of statement don't you think??

• Sad 1