January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 hour ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

Replacing Digne is not a priority imho

A top quality midfielder, a goalscorer, and an upgrade on Bailey would be my priorities in that order.

Digne is a better FB than Cash, makes less mistakes

Yep.

Midfielders, 2x attacking players and a RB are all areas to look at first. Maybe even CB

I don't think there'd be such revisionism about the shortcomings of Digne and the pros of Targett if the former wasn't signed by Gerrard. I still rate Digne, he just needs quality competition. I'd say the same of Cash too. We need quality elsewhere more as others point out.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Nonsense!!! Targett was woeful going forward or finding a pass and anyone that understands the game of football will agree he was atrocious at it and made me nervous each time he got the ball, wasnt a bad tackler however  

He wasnt that bad at all. He had one poor game against watford but generally he was a very reliable left back. He certainly could defend bettee than digne 

14 minutes ago, Xela said:

Digne is way better than Targett IMO

Targett is done at NUFC now. 4 starts all season. 

We paid 10m for targett and 30m for digne who is older. I dont think he is much better at all personally 

• Like 2

Just now, Demitri_C said:

He wasnt that bad at all. He had one poor game against watford but generally he was a very reliable left back. He certainly could defend bettee than digne 

Then he should have stayed to compete with Dinge. It was him that wanted out when Dinge arrived.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

We paid 10m for targett and 30m for digne who is older. I dont think he is much better at all personally 

Targett was solid for us, I don't dislike him, but when Jack left, his shortcomings were there to see. He defo benefited from having a player of that calibre playing on the same flank. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Then he should have stayed to compete with Dinge. It was him that wanted out when Dinge arrived.

I am pretty sure that is down to the pathetic excuse for man management since he lost his place at Newcastle and doesnt seem so afraid of competition

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Targett was solid for us, I don't dislike him, but when Jack left, his shortcomings were there to see. He defo benefited from having a player of that calibre playing on the same flank. 

But lets not forget though the managers he had under him. Smith wasnt a great defensive manager either was gerrard.

I dont blame him for leaving, gerrard was probably being the arrogant prick that he was that made targett want to go

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Thats the thing i dont think digne is twice as good as targett...

That's not how transfer fees work though. We probably overpaid for Targett at the time, but he helped us stay up, and we made a profit on him too.

• Like 1

Digne > Targett

Not by too much but enough in the % improvement game. Targett also had no heart or bottle. Dignes lows haven’t been anywhere near as low at Targetts and Digne has a higher ceiling. 

We don’t have any obvious continuity at LB but it isn’t a priority this window. 

Surely we won’t buy at right back as Kessler-Hayden is shaping up nicely there and why stand in his way? 

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 4