January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Don’t knock the drunk bloke in the local. It’s a role we’ve all played. 

Some of my happiest memories. 

• Like 1

On 29/12/2022 at 12:38, OutByEaster? said:

I'm guessing as an Everton fan you've not paid much attention to Luiz over the last six to twelve months - he's been our best player this season and is doing a fantastic job for the club.

I could understand if you're suggesting that we might struggle if a giant like Real or Barca or similar came in with a massive offer, but you seem to be suggesting that we will be looking to get rid of him as a weak link - right now, to get a player better than Luiz would cost us an amount of money that's probably outside of the ranges we're looking at - if we were selling him, I'd want £60-80m.

His partnership with Kamara is the strongest part of the team right now and that pairing is good enough to take us a long way, it matches up against the best in the league - they got the best of the middle of the park against Liverpool's three and I'd give them a fighting chance against any pair in this division. I wouldn't swap Luiz with Tielemans or Thiago - to actually improve on him you'd need to be looking at a player that quite simply, we couldn't get.

Have another look and get some doubt, you've missed something.

Thanks very much for your reply. It made for some interesting reading. It never ceases to amaze me how the opinions of fans can differ on any game but that’s the way it’s always been and long may it continue.

I’m actually a fan of both Villa and Everton so try to watch all televised games including both clubs. I therefore have missed few of those games so my opinion is an overall view and not just based on selected games.

You mention that the current midfield partnership of Luiz and Kamara are going to take Villa ‘a long way.’ To where exactly?’ I ask this due to Villa continually struggling to beat the better teams. This is not a recent trait but one with Luiz in the Villa side over several seasons now. It is also fair to say that many have viewed Villa’s midfield as the weak link of the side. Villa are currently in mid table where they finished last season. If it’s mid table obscurity your after then indeed the current owners are going to be very disappointed in your ambition!

You further say that Villa’s parring matches the top teams in the league and bested Liverpool’s three recently. Villa lost that game 1-3 and it could have been more. It was also stated in the after match comments by several posters that Luiz’s performance was poor. I saw the game. He was mainly anonymous and conspicuous only by giving possession away. A trait only too common since Luiz has come to Villa.

If he is rated in the 60m-80m category then Arsenal’s rumoured bid of 25m fell way short of your estimation of the player. I would further suggest your preference to Tielemans or Thiago is somewhat blinkered.

What is Luiz good at? Is he a quality defensive mid? Not really, as Kamara was signed to replace him. Is he someone that would run beyond the striker? Again no, as he doesn’t have any pace. Is he then a regular goal scoring midfielder? Stats would suggest no. So what exactly is he then? You say he’s a link man. Link from defence to midfield or attack? 

To me that’s a very convenient way to describe a totally ineffective footballer that shines at nothing really.

I think you’ll find that Emery will rebuild Villa’s midfield over the next 2-3 windows and replace McGinn and Luiz with much more effective players in their genre’s and not use the expenditure you quote in replacing them.

I see you suggest that I’ve missed something. Maybe, maybe not, but I guess we’ll see soon enough.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Chukwueze just scored for Villarreal. I wonder how he compares to Sarr

For whatever reason I'd rather take chukwueze despite my knowledge of him being limited to FM

Almost like I'll tar sarr with the brush of being a Watford player in the championship rather than judging him on his own merits

Really hope we can sign players like Kamara, in that it makes other clubs take notice of our ambitions.

Players like Pau Torres and Nicolas Jackson would more than likely do that.

As good as he could be, I don’t see many clubs being jealous of us signing Deulofeu.

• Like 1

Just now, jacketspuds said:

Really hope we can sign players like Kamara, in that it makes other clubs take notice of our ambitions.

As good as he could be, I don’t see many clubs being jealous of us signing Deulofeu.

Nicolas Jackson is linked with Southampton and isnt a regular at Villarreal if honest Deulofeu is a better option now. Jackson might come good in 2 or 3 years 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

Why would you want Kante, Modric or a Xavi when a perfect Carlton Palmer could do a better job

Sigh. That's not the point it is? Mings apart we're woefully short in height at defending set pieces and have such a soft underbelly in our spine it's criminal and been an issue for over a decade now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

I’d much prefer us to sign a player who nobody is jealous of when we sign him but everyone is jealous of 6 months later.