January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Maybe we should be looking before Chelsea......how did we get Kamara and Carlos?

I accept, we don't know, who we actually miss out on.

but we can't keep saying this, its defeatist.

With Mendes and Nass being friends, I expect a bit better.

Have you watched him as much as Joao Felix?

Maybe we could hijack Gvardiol as well

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

I’m not sure the standard in MLS is much worse than the likes of Belgium, Serbia, Czech Republic etc.

Most might not be able to make the step up from MLS to Prem, but look at Almiron.

A lot of young, highly rated South American players have went to MLS recently, Thiago Almada probably the most rated. Might be worth looking at some of them.

Yeah well as we know with wesley and some othee players we have signed from abroad. Some are hits othwrs are misses. 

On a sode note newcastle apparently in for thuram so that rules us out.

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah well as we know with wesley and some othee players we have signed from abroad. Some are hits othwrs are misses. 

We need to move quicker, like we did with BK

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

So what happens with Isak?

Teams can't buy everybody.......clickbait.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Teams can buy everybody.......clickbait.

I believe Thuram can play from the left or down the middle so they could play both. 

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah well as we know with wesley and some othee players we have signed from abroad. Some are hits othwrs are misses

much like your typing skills

only joking son (c) Patrick Eastenders

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

isn't that because we don't have any, anymore?

It's an interesting question - but Emery looks to want to play with this 4-2-2-2 system we've been playing where the from two midfielders are narrower that traditional wingers - in terms of the players we have that can play there, it's Coutinho, Buendia, McGinn and Ramsey - Bailey has become a forward. I think that's here to stay and I can't see us switching to the extent that he gives up on that group of four.

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

Teams can buy everybody.......clickbait.

I reckon if true, it might be replacement for say someone like St. Maximin?

Either way, their current trajectory and the likelihood that they are heading for Europe gives them more strength to build a squad.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's an interesting question - but Emery looks to want to play with this 4-2-2-2 system we've been playing where the from two midfielders are narrower that traditional wingers - in terms of the players we have that can play there, it's Coutinho, Buendia, McGinn and Ramsey - Bailey has become a forward. I think that's here to stay and I can't see us switching to the extent that he gives up on that group of four.

I guess it depends on who he brings in (if he signs anyone in Jan) or who recalls in the summer, he might be looking for better strikers or players who can provide width.

I feel currently most of our crosses come from Digne and rarely clear the first man so we are screaming out for attacking width. 

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The more you pay the less likely that they are to be misses. Pay £15m - £20m and you are taking a punt, but it is most likely you won't hit the target. £30m gets you the likes of Watkins if you are lucky and Wesley if you are really not. Pay double and the chances are more likely than not of getting a hit. Are we now ready to do battle for the best or still hope to get the best, half price in the January sales? We should know very soon. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think we necessarily do. We have one wide player who we're currently playing as a forward because we don't play with traditional wide players. Someone described them in the media over the weekend as narrow wingers - they're almost wide tens.

Our shape is like this:

------------------FW---------FW------------------

------------AM--------------------AM------------

------------------DM--------DM-----------------

LB--------------CB---------CB-------------RB

-------------------------GK-------------------------

Bailey is currently playing as a forward - and even with him counted, we only have three and Archer - given that neither Watkins or Ings are really the whole answer there, I think we need one to give us numbers and depth - if we can get quality then all the better.

The AM positions, the 'narrow wingers' if you like - are well stocked with Coutinho, Buendia, McGinn and Ramsey but we might look to improve or upgrade or find someone that Emery believes he can get more out of in the position.

The DM's are our strength with Luiz and Kamara in there, we have Dendoncker as decent back up and potentially Iroegbunam to add in the future - we might look to move Nakamba on I'd guess and he might want one more for depth or competition.

Our full backs are both decent, but there's not a lot of competition - neither of them are perfect, but they aren't being pushed - Ashley Young is currently first choice back up on both sides and he's in his mid forties. Augustinsson I think will probably be let go at the end of his loan. I think we might need a couple of full backs over the next two windows.

Centre back is interesting - Mings and Konsa are reasonable Premier League centre halves, Mings can be a bit better than that, and we have Carlos to come back who, whilst he's unproven in the Premier League has a terrific reputation and, injury allowing, should be capable of playing games for us - behind them Chambers has regressed and Bednarek is unlikely to stick around - much will depend on how much faith the club has in Carlos and young Josh Feeney.

Number one Keeper isn't a problem, but it's clear we could do with a more reliable number two whose distribution is a heck of a lot better.

So, yeah, for me, I don't think we need a winger, I do think we need a forward, a couple of full backs, a number two keeper and perhaps a midfielder and centreback.

I don't know if a #2 gk is going to be on the list (I think everywhere else should be a priority over it)

With center backs, I think Bednarek is getting recalled & I think they will wait and see with how Carlos is going with recovery and make a decision if we are need to sign another CB on emergency loan towards end of Jan. 

Definitely need competition for outside backs but that's not a priority in my eyes until summer.

I think that switching Tim for Nakamba in the summer might be our midfield move sorted (though Sanson & McGinn could be out the door)

For me, it's then the group of attackers that needs to be worked on. I still feel like we need genuine pace which is why I would be wanting to see a winger type -- as they are generally the ones with more pace. I think we will get another striker but that is a whole crapshoot as every team always needs another striker. And Buendia/Coutinho, who knows with them. They have quality but at this point both are so inconsistent with games. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I would like to see Bailey used as the left midfielder and Buendia as the right, and a new addition up top 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, John said:

The more you pay the less likely that they are to be misses. Pay £15m - £20m and you are taking a punt, but it is most likely you won't hit the target. £30m gets you the likes of Watkins if you are lucky and Wesley if you are really not. Pay double and the chances are more likely than not of getting a hit. Are we now ready to do battle for the best or still hope to get the best, half price in the January sales? We should know very soon. 

Its an interesting point John.

Theres..... Ivan Toney

and then there's Nicholas Pepe.

2 contrasting buys in terms of success.......The trick is to not have too many misses, its all about ratio's as we all have misses.....and then its about integrating them in to a team pattern and system, that brings results.

There have been times in the past, when we was good at it........in recent times a bit mixed.

but of course landscapes and financial wherewhithal changes, top players all want European football, particularly European players, themselves.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I would like to see Bailey used as the left midfielder and Buendia as the right, and a new addition up top 

I"m not sure Bailey can do the midfield work we'd need him to do to play the position the way we play it - I think he works better as a forward coming in from wide positions.

If we were to change to something more like a 4-2-1-3, then I'd agree, and I think there might well be times we'll do that - beyond the back four and the two holding players I think we've seen there will be a fair bit of flexibility.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yeah

but it was 4-4-2 the other night.....but players morph with the dynamics of the game, anyway, when the game is in progress.

Edited by TRO

45 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Math Is Hard GIFs | Tenor

relax....typo.🤣

but thanks.

I couldn't even claim the ref and the linesman, because they was on their side.....but an extra 2 would have helped.....I think.

Edited by TRO
  • Haha 1