January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Didn't Juve sign him for about 60m? Another CL club will pick him up.

Milik is much more realistic. Good aerial presence and actually only 28 still (thought he was about 31). He keeps getting loaned out so not sure what the issue is with signing him permanently for clubs. Good scoring record in Serie A and French league in recent times.

Milik has apparently attitude problems

My worry ( and i think it may come to pass ) is you are going to see the misalignment between Emery, Lange and Purslow in the coming months. I think those 2 have been living on borrowed time here for sometime. Emery is a class coach and hopefully with the way Nas headhunted him personally, he won’t let Emery be dictated to by those. I still think at executive level or whatever we are miles off a Brighton or Brentford. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I don’t think it’s that unrealistic either. It was funny the way he listed just about every position when the short form would’ve been to just say we basically need a whole new starting 11. Outside of Martinez and Kamara and possibly one or two others over the next 4 windows, I would be disappointed if most of the players we have now are still with the team/starting.

If that happens then the dof and Purslow must go as that would mean we have wasted north of £140m on shit.

And we would be set back years while the other teams we could compete with realistically pass us by.

2 hours ago, Pissflaps said:

If that happens then the dof and Purslow must go as that would mean we have wasted north of £140m on shit.

And we would be set back years while the other teams we could compete with realistically pass us by.

Well, theoretically some of those players would be sold for more then they were purchased so it wouldn’t be quite that deep of a waste. Plus you would have some of those players still providing something as rotational players. It’s not like we’d be dumping them on the side of the road. But again it’s purely theoretical at this point.

16 hours ago, Nigel said:

I'm not saying he's the answer per se  but in fairness to him all those productive years were in relegated teams. Im sure his numbers would improve with a bit more quality behind him .

Mitrovic in a poorer team than watkins. Your points valid. Its a good shout. But fulham will want big money for him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Mitrovic in a poorer team than watkins. Your points valid. Its a good shout. But fulham will want big money for him

Yeah, imagine the cost of a player that would essentially relegate you if you sold them. Never going to be moving in Jan unless it's embarrassing money.

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think we have a strong squad.

On paper we look a strong team but on the pitch not so much.

3 managers and the same players doing the same things.

It will take emery at least 3-4 windows to get the team he wants so we just gradually have to replace the slack we have bit by bit.

I would not mind seeing the back of johan lange and eventually get rid of our CEO as well.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m ok with us not signing anyone in Jan. Happy for Emery to spend the rest of the season analysing the squad we have to work out where he needs to improve it.  

I am same. Let Unai give players a chance to earn a spot in the squad

• Like 1

Don't think we need any panic signings as the squad is fine (while obviously still a wip) but at the same time if we could snap up any of our long term targets I'd be delighted.

Imo for next season we need a new CB even with Carlos hopefully coming back in the same form as before and we need competition at full back. I'd love for Olsen to go somewhere else where he gets regular football but salary will be an issue there. But a new reserve GK who can handle not playing regularly without losing form and physique.

We also need a wide player with more pace and goalscoring ability/creation. And for long term I'd like a new starting attacker with one of our current ones leaving.

Basically Martinez, Kamara & Luiz are the building blocks and we already have some solid support pieces for mid table fighting.

As always salaries will be an issue when trying to move players from here. Be really interesting to see what Emery and our people have in plan.

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’m ok with us not signing anyone in Jan. Happy for Emery to spend the rest of the season analysing the squad we have to work out where he needs to improve it.  

Depends what you think a strong squad means and what position you are trying to achieve. 

We have a good mid table squad, nothing more or less! 

If the right players become available I hope we try to get them because I think Emery has probably analysed the squad in depth and yes more games will give him more information but he'll already have highlighted weaknesses that he might be able to address in January. 

We seem to keep waiting until the next season for things...when Gerrard was here, all we heard was that he needed a preseason and then this season will be it and a dozen games in we were woeful and he was sacked. 

Thankfully we now have Emery but some fans always push to the next summer window but there is still 22 games left of this season, almost two thirds to push up the table, which makes us more appealing for summer signings...a key signing here or there in January may make such a difference that we could move a few places up the league by the end of the season, which does make a difference to prospects in the summer.

• Like 1

It was widely reported Emery was promised new signings and would have demanded this before taking the job.

Unless he has since found the squad to be so awesome he doesn't need new signings.... then I can't see us not making a couple of signings or trying hard to.

The Villareal players links are about as likely as the deluge of Ranger's players Stevie G was meant to be making. Although maybe in a different class in terms of quality and price.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Basically Martinez, Kamara & Luiz are the building blocks and we already have some solid support pieces for mid table fighting.

This is exactly it - we add a CB and a forward to that list of names and we have a very strong spine. Then we can add to that. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Depends what you think a strong squad means and what position you are trying to achieve. 

We have a good mid table squad, nothing more or less! 

If the right players become available I hope we try to get them because I think Emery has probably analysed the squad in depth and yes more games will give him more information but he'll already have highlighted weaknesses that he might be able to address in January. 

We seem to keep waiting until the next season for things...when Gerrard was here, all we heard was that he needed a preseason and then this season will be it and a dozen games in we were woeful and he was sacked. 

Thankfully we now have Emery but some fans always push to the next summer window but there is still 22 games left of this season, almost two thirds to push up the table, which makes us more appealing for summer signings...a key signing here or there in January may make such a difference that we could move a few places up the league by the end of the season, which does make a difference to prospects in the summer.

Don’t get me wrong if can find the right player in January that would be superb. I just won’t be gutted if can’t land targets as understand how difficult January transfer window can be. I think the squad is good enough to still challenge for around 8th place but I’m probably being a tad over optimistic. An FA cup run is always possible too although we know eventually most teams come up against the sky 6 and lose. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa