January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

I think we're short up top, I think we need a striker with pace and anticipation who can get on the end of things - the two front midfielders/narrow wingers are heavy in terms of bodies - with Coutinho, Buendia, Ramsey and McGinn competing for two spots and Bailey possibly able to drop back into there from where he's currently playing - I'm not sure any of them are the perfect answer though.

The holding midfield pair are the strength of the team, Luiz has been our best player this season and Kamara looks like he's going to be even better - Dendoncker gives us some good support and we look alright in there.

I like Cash and I like Digne, but I'm not sure that either are going to be perfect - fullback is a difficult position to find real quality at - if it's there, we should go looking for it, but we'll need to find better than we have.

I like Mings, and he and Konsa are a reasonable blend - hopefully Diego Carlos will settle into the Premier League and become a solid centre half. I'm not averse to one more just in case though.

I like Marschall, but he's too young to be thrown in as back up keeper and I don't think Olsen can now win from where he is - I'd like to see us pick up a reliable and experienced keeper from somewhere.

I really don't think we're all that far away - I'd like to see us bring in another forward next month and I think we can progress.

• Like 3

Interesting the clubs apparently interested in American kid. Us, Fulham, Brentford and Benfica. 

I can’t be bothered to go through the forum and dig out posts, but “why are we spending millions on average players whilst the likes of Brentford and Benfica find gems on the cheap” is something I’ve read loads on here. 

So it’s pretty then when these guys sign these sort of players Is great scouting, when we’re linked with them it’s “never heard of him” 

We can’t have both. 

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

We need to sell Watkins and go absolutely all out for a world class striker. I suspect we need to be smashing our transfer record. 

We will not be signing a world class striker. They are like gold dust and when available, go straight to the Champions League clubs. I'd argue that neither Nunez or Gakpo are world class and Liverpool have signed both this season.

I can't see who we could get that would improve us and agree to come to us tbh.

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

We will not be signing a world class striker. They are like gold dust and when available, go straight to the Champions League clubs. I'd argue that neither Nunez or Gakpo are world class and Liverpool have signed both this season.

I can't see who we could get that would improve us and agree to come to us tbh.

I agree with your opinion that signing “world class” is fantasy. And I watch no European/South American football at all so I can’t give you names. But sat at VP yesterday I felt that there are a lot of strikers that would buried the chances Ollie had. 

The first finish was very good, but the flip side of that is that intelligent strikers stay inside. 

He offers so much, but has serious flaws. Names, no. As I said I’m not a scout. But surely we can find someone that at least knows where the net is? 

6 minutes ago, thejoker said:

Do we need a left back? We only signed Digne 12 months ago for £20m+. We can’t keep stockpiling players. 

I imagine Augustinsson will be going back when his loan is over and Young will be 38 when next season starts.

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Mitrovic has 34 Premier League goals in 4 top flight seasons. Watkins has 28 in 2 and a half seasons

I'm not saying he's the answer per se  but in fairness to him all those productive years were in relegated teams. Im sure his numbers would improve with a bit more quality behind him .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

Interesting the clubs apparently interested in American kid. Us, Fulham, Brentford and Benfica. 

I can’t be bothered to go through the forum and dig out posts, but “why are we spending millions on average players whilst the likes of Brentford and Benfica find gems on the cheap” is something I’ve read loads on here. 

So it’s pretty then when these guys sign these sort of players Is great scouting, when we’re linked with them it’s “never heard of him” 

We can’t have both. 

They blend better than we do IMO.

I don't think our players are that bad......I just think we have too many who are similar....in terms of having the same attibutes and lacking the same ones......we have gaps in attributes IMO.

We need a team with more contrast in our attributes to make the team more complete.....I know it sounds paradoxical.....but the team is lacking weapons of destruction.

17 minutes ago, av1 said:

We can’t have both. 

Yeah @nick76

I still see the same shortfalls, I saw under several managers.

Ironically, the centre of midfield, is one of our strongest departments now....but the rest, needs to catch up.

9 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Yeah @nick76

How does this relate to me? I asked if anybody has watched him regularly to give us an opinion on him because quite a few videos has shown him being very poor player and a couple have been quite good.  So how does this comment relate to me? It’s unusual to have highlight clips looking so poor.  Just because other small clubs are into him doesn’t straight away mean he’s going to be an £80m player in two years.

3 hours ago, messi11 said:

World class like Mbappe?

No world class striker is coming to Aston Villa 😂 pipe dreams 

What tickles me with this is.......Brentford Lose Watkins bag 20 odd mill and sign Toney from Peterborough for 8 mill.....now, before I hear a cry of "Oh, Its just one example"....Its just one example, I have chosen.

We need to get smarter and take some chances.....if we now have the coaching credentials we claim to have, a few gambles must be worth a spin.

Can someone check to see if the scouts are locked in the shed?........We need to let them out.

ps some of the Links are embarrasingly predictable.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spoony said:

We need to sell Watkins and go absolutely all out for a world class striker. I suspect we need to be smashing our transfer record. 

17 out of 20 PL sides would also love to go all out for a world class striker i'd suspect. there's just a dearth of them around currently

• Haha 1