January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

I would like to think that the reason why Coutinho signed was due to his mate Gerrard advising him on how to top up his pension.

Hopefully we have moved on from that now and identifying players we actually need to strengthen the squad....as it always should be

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

It is going to be another 3 year process now, we've wasted 18 months under Gerrard and it will be numerous years of poor transfers.

I hope we do not do a lot of business in January, if any. It will just highlight we have no actual strategy and the short-termism that exists at the club.

Get a few players back off loan as the squad is weak and unbalanced, whether they are good players or not. Have a good end to the season and get all our signings picked out or lined up.

I don't want to see us drop stupid money on another Coutinho

Given Emery’s analytical detail, his obsession with reviewing players videos over extended period even before his time, his eye for detail and what system and play he needs I am more confident if he splashes the cash in January, more than most managers we have hired previously, that it is based on a detailed strategy than just buying players for the sake of it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lupinthe5th said:

Here's the real one

The other wasn’t real? Seen a few videos and some good and some poor.  Anybody can look great in a clips video…I know nothing about the guy but very concerning he looks just as poor as he looks good across the videos.  

Is he really better than what we have? Genuine question? Has anybody watched him regularly? Can he move up dramatically up to PL level? 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Given Emery’s analytical detail, his obsession with reviewing players videos over extended period even before his time, his eye for detail and what system and play he needs I am more confident if he splashes the cash in January, more than most managers we have hired previously, that it is based on a detailed strategy than just buying players for the sake of it.

I don't think the value is there and to me, a new manager and January signings after Gerrard has scared me

'We need to increase the age of the squad ' Yikes.

Let's just hold fire and assess, like that window , we aren't getting Europe and we can't chuck some contracts at people and sneak it. We are well off.

I'd bring Traore back as we are light in attacking options for the squad, maybe even Ramsay as I can see some game time being available and he has had some good minutes at a good level this season.

Need to work hard ASAP to shift Nakamba, Guilbert and Sanson

Let's not try and cheat a European place again. Can we please be more sensible like the Kamara deal.

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I don't think the value is there and to me, a new manager and January signings after Gerrard has scared me

Let's just hold fire and assess, like that window , we aren't getting Europe and we can't chuck some contracts at people and sneak it. We are well off.

I'd bring Traore back as we are light in attacking options for the squad, maybe even Ramsay as I can see some game time being available and he has had some good minutes at a good level this season.

Let's not try and cheat a European place again. Can we please be more sensible like the Kamara deal.

I’m at the other end of this, I want Unai to get hid own players in asap even if that means spending a little bit more.

Despite an awful start to the season we are only 8 points off 6th with 22 games to go… I want us to give it a real go.

I think NSWE will have trust Unai with their cash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

I’m at the other end of this, I want Unai to get hid own players in asap even if that means spending a little bit more.

Despite an awful start to the season we are only 8 points off 6th with 22 games to go… I want us to give it a real go.

I think NSWE will have trust Unai with their cash.

I understand that but we said that under Gerrard and we did it with Bruce either Lansbury and Hourihane etc.

Signing a bunch of players mid season just never seems to work. You might aswell just wait.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We don’t know what value is out there to be fair.  Gakpo is a steal for Liverpool at that price especially after how much they paid for Nunez.  We’d never get somebody like that but there are Thuram type deals out there for £10-20m. So many European clubs are facing financial difficulty at the moment that there are deals to be had.  

7 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I agree, I’m not chasing Europe this season but settling in a player over the second half of the season to get going for next season I’m keen on.  If the right deals are available then we should be doing them asap.  If not the wait until the summer but timing for me is not a factor because Emery’s analysis of players isn’t finger in the air like Gerrard’s.  Emery will buy players he needs and fits what he wants to build.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I understand that but we said that under Gerrard and we did it with Bruce either Lansbury and Hourihane etc.

Signing a bunch of players mid season just never seems to work. You might aswell just wait.

To be fair, buying players in the summer hasn’t done us much good either.  We’ve sacked two managers quite quickly after the start of the last two seasons 😜

• Haha 1

The striker I wanted was Sekou Koita from RB Salzburg but he suffered a major injury :( he’s recently come back but I haven’t watched any of their games so I don’t know how he looks and if he still has that electric pace. 

Noah Okafor is someone that I think would be a success for us. People seem to like Benjamin sesko more but I feel Okafor has the higher ceiling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

The striker I wanted was Sekou Koita from RB Salzburg but he suffered a major injury :( he’s recently come back but I haven’t watched any of their games so I don’t know how he looks and if he still has that electric pace. 

Noah Okafor is someone that I think would be a success for us. People seem to like Benjamin sesko more but I feel Okafor has the higher ceiling.

No idea if this matters in any way but Chelsea have hired RB Salzburg technical director Christopher Vivell to take that role at Chelsea.

• Sad 1

It doesn’t matter if Guardiola decided to drop Man City and come to Villa Park, we simply don’t have the squad for 6th place, we don’t even have the squad for top 10 in my eyes. 

There has to be some more quality signings made before we kick on.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I understand you concern but I don't think that splashing some cash in January is necessarily trying to cheat Europe.

I don't believe the squad is that bad, I feel we lack natural leadership and what we do have is all at the back. 

1 or 2 signings, but importantly, they have to absolutely be better than what we already have in that position. 

Now if Emery can identify what he wants and it's attainable in January, then have at it.

Either way, the way we do transfers under UE will be like nothing we've seen before at this club, at least in my time.

I've mostly seen us get our pants pulled down, and on sucker wages.

I would say the Benteke is still by far the best signing in this century..

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Also since NSWE even though everyone seems to forget the manager doesn't sign players anymore (i.e open cheque book like MON and up to Bruce). They have wishlists and Smith said as much

Edited by Kiwivillan

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

The other wasn’t real? Seen a few videos and some good and some poor.  Anybody can look great in a clips video…I know nothing about the guy but very concerning he looks just as poor as he looks good across the videos.  

Is he really better than what we have? Genuine question? Has anybody watched him regularly? Can he move up dramatically up to PL level? 

It's either we buy him now for £10 million or watch Benfica buy him for £10 million and sell him on for £80 million 

The choice is yours

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

It's either we buy him now for £10 million or watch Benfica buy him for £10 million and sell him on for £80 million 

The choice is yours

Given the video clips, I’ll let Benfica have him.  Not all players these clubs buy, sell for big money, many flop or are bang average, that’s why I asked if anybody had watched him regularly because the video clips are very mixed and in some he looks like a donkey to be honest!  So I want an opinion that has watched him regularly to give us better info.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, nick76 said:

I’d never even heard of him before watching the video. 

Given his age I watched it thinking of one for the future rather than “I’d he better than what we have” which is probably no. 

But for an 18yr old I thought there was an awful lot to like. Big, powerful kid. 

It’s the sort of signing Chelsea make before loaning out for a few years. You could give the boy 3yrs in the championship and he’d still only be 21, or the same age as Archer who some have high hopes for. 

18 is ridiculously young for a striker.