January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

But I think that's why I've got no real problem with this window, the belief that at worst it could mean the difference between finishing 8th or 10th...im not overly concerned with that, getting the summer right is more important

I don't see a signing this month or today getting us 7th, thank Gerrard for that not inactivity this window, the summer is a whole other story

I hope this is correct. 

A continued good run of form that sees us reach the top 6 (we're only 3 points of it at the moment!) is on the cards. If that were to then get derailed by an injury to Watkins or Bailey would be a travesty. A real sliding doors moment. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This is just crazy. What do you mean a travesty? 

Long term why would it impact us that much? 

No one thought about Europe when Gerrard was sacked, now it could be a travesty to not qualify if we get a couple of injuries. 

It's madness. People are acting like football ends again. 

Over here we call it a bell.

Travesty was a little strong... but the opportunities to finish top 6, where two of the big 6 completely drop the bat in a way they probably won't do again for some time, don't come along that often.

We don't know if our activity this window was hindered by wage demands, attractiveness of the project, or clubs demanding exorbitant fees due to the January window tax.

But all of those things disappear in the summer if we finish in the top 7 places. If we get an injury and slide down the table, then only the January tax disappears. We are probably still left having to funding wages we wouldn't have the sustainable income to pay for without European football, we have a harder time selling the project. It's not unreasonable to think we could find ourselves in a so close yet so far all or nothing situation.

Maybe the wages we've offloaded and the PL TV rights give us more than enough room to manoeuvre from an FFP perspective anyway.

Admittedly, it's probably unlikely we'll sustain the form we're in anyway, and will settle in to midtable mediocrity before any hypothetical injury,  by which point it wouldn't matter if we got one anyway.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm pretty happy we've been able to move that amount of deadwood out the club. 

And whilst Ings contributed, to be able to sell him for a good price is a bonus IMO.

We haven't shifted nakamba and sanson. Just reduced the wage bill until the summer. 

For all the chat that we are only 3 points off 6th, we also have a vastly inferior point difference to everyone ahead of us and have 5 clubs to overtake to there, who have all been better than us over the season to date (granted that includes Gerrard's dismal start).

As we've seen over the last few weeks, even having among the best form in the league we haven't moved up the table. That, plus City away and Arsenal to come in the next 3 games and I think we will need to temper expectation levels a bit.

Maybe one loan in at the end? Can't see much else happening at this point.

Unai and co. identified the targets but for once, maybe we're being a bit sensible with our transfer market strategy. The chances of making Europe are there, but are they high? Are they over 50%? As much as I want to believe, I don't think so.

Better to pick up appreciating assets than panicking for yet another January deprieciating player. We transferred in Digne, Coutinho, and Chambers last year then Sanson the year before and then Samatta, Borja Baston, and Danny Drinkwater the year before that.

Duran and Moreno in the winter can't be worse than the previous ones.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

Emi shared a training photo that included youngsters Swinkels and Bogarde so we have youth to factor in if needs be. 

Good.  This is the route we should be going down as well as reaching into market every time we need a player.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

You swine for a second there…. 😂

I’m over this window now…if it stays as it is, it’s an incredibly disappointing window.  So let’s have a laugh!

Our squad is weaker, I can’t imagine Emery is happy and it’s a missed opportunity.  

Some fans have some BS apologies that I got bored with reading at lunchtime and have no interest in discussing anymore, I’m never going to agree with them so what’s the point.  So just having a bit of fun, and just watching in case anything happens at last minute however unlikely.

Disappointing window, squad weaker but time to get back to focusing on the games left.

Edited by nick76

8 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Emi shared a training photo that included youngsters Swinkels and Bogarde so we have youth to factor in if needs be. 

I’d rather play some of the youngsters, than sign any players of the calibre of Bednarek or Augustinsson.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I’d rather play some of the youngsters, than sign any players of the calibre of Bednarek or Augustinsson.

Absolutely.

Whats the point bringing in players who we then have to ship out the next window. 

• Like 1