January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The nonsense Digne rumour is amusing because under no circumstances would we let him go with only one senior left back at the club. Twitter is really the pits for baseless crap. 

We thought that about Ings 🤣

Just now, IrishVilla10 said:

You can rationalise it though. Brighton just turned down 70 million for a midfielder who hasn’t even played 30 league games for them. The price of Gordon. If we are looking at quality upgrades it’s not going to be cheap and even less so in January 

Look, I don't know the ins and outs of the transfer business, so my opinions are vague.....but I see many other clubs doing business....so until, I know why we haven't bought to strengthen, I will remain sceptical.

The mood pre Transfer window, was bullish, so the proceedings/actions have not met that bullish mood....I think most fans will agree with that.

What we do in the Summer, is as clear as mud.....so the satisfaction folk glean from that, is all it is.

18 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Expecting big things in the summer now then, the market has gone mad this month

If Lange/Purslow/Owners found the players they wanted to be too expensive this Transfer Window, they gonna have a shock in the summer that the players are the same price or even more. 
But don't worry we got Keinan Davis coming back.

Just now, messi11 said:

If Lange/Purslow/Owners found the players they wanted to be too expensive this Transfer Window, they gonna have a shock in the summer that the players are the same price or even more. 

Umm that’s not how it works. January is a notoriously difficult window even without Chelsea distorting the market. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Powehi said:

I think if this window has told me anything, its that the transfer window can get in the bin as a concept. So sick of it. Emery's done the right thing here and the club is being slated because loads of fans are trying to keep up with the Joneses and spending money for the sake of it.

Seriously, though, that is such a misrepresentation of why people were and are concerned about this transfer window. Reductive nonsense. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Can't say I'm still overly thrilled with not getting another striker in, but assuming we can get Bertie fit again, then at least we have some forward cover, and a crazy dervish of unpredictability to come off the bench. 

I think in a sea of Gerrard mismanagement loaning him out was amongst the more baffling decisions at the time, as he could still have done a job for us creatively. I just hope he's the same player he was before the Turkish delight and knee injuries. 

Agreed. Same with El Ghazi. In a team devoid of creating chances, you ship out the two guys who will try shots and dribbles despite the outcome. Baffling. 

2 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

All these world-weary, glum assessments of a disappointing winter window that's still very active with hours left to go. It's like people leaving the match early.

To be fair, it is looking more and more likely that everything is done for this window.

Unless we pull a surprise loan out of the hat I just can't see how we'll do anything else.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

but I see many other clubs doing business

bar chelsea's scattergun i dont if im honest, im not looking at the clubs around us and thinking they're doing bits that we are struggling to keep up with

and thats from a starting point of us actually having a lot of depth in the squad that the likes of fulham and brentford don't, brentford and brighton have signed more players than us but look at who they've signed, do you want those players at villa? 

13 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

You can rationalise it though. Brighton just turned down 70 million for a midfielder who hasn’t even played 30 league games for them. The price of Gordon. If we are looking at quality upgrades it’s not going to be cheap and even less so in January 

If we think we can sustain signings like Kamara, McGinn and to a lesser degree, Martinez, we are in a dream.

The question still exists, if we had to sign Kamara, for his market Value, would he be with us now?

Look, I am reasonably happy, with things in general.....but if we want to keep engaging in the European talk, which incites expectation, we need to get real.

It seems to me, the club are clear, where they want to go, but unclear how much it will cost.

If our objective is mid-table, fine.....but lets be honest about it, and not have our heads in clouds, with ambitious expectations.

Edited by TRO

Just now, HKP90 said:

Seriously, though, that is such a misrepresentation of why people were and are concerned about this transfer window. Reductive nonsense. 

We've cleared out our subpar players and replaced our knacked striker with a hot young prospect. Upgraded our left back. Kept all our decent players. Been an OK window. You're just worrying over a hypothetical crisis.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Players won't be as expensive in summer.  Teams don't want to sell their best players in January so they over inflate prices and desperate teams pay them.