January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

nah chuck wilson on, chuck kadan young on at some point too

following the city and arsenal games id expect us to be more or less the most boring team in the league - first team that cant go down and cant qualify for europe - and i know a few will moan that each place means something in terms of money and appeal but i'm not overly fussed by that, remember that smith season where bidace and Chuk started playing with about 5 games left? im expecting the same this year, its one of the few joys of being mid table, pressure free minutes for some of the youngsters

I'm not opposed to youngsters getting minutes, even starting games, but Wilson in particular is too young, he's 17 and built like a boy, it's not going to happen. Brad Young I just don't think is good enough. Kadan Young, yes I think hopefully he'll get a start or two towards the end. 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Duran might not have played in the league before... but he exists.

Also, our style of play doesn't heavily rely on a " traditional" striker.

Yes Ings was out " top scorer " but he was barely involved ffs.

Other people can, and will step up IMO.

Guaranteed alot of the Pele.moaning now regularly moaned about Ings as well.

We're hardly Spain playing with 6 attacking midfielders! We are very reliant on Watkins, and as it is now he's going to be playing 18x90 minutes.

Anyway, we have Traore back, so that's at least one position a bit better stocked.

Just now, DCJonah said:

More squad depth with Bertie.

In a month's time we could have cash, digne, konsa, mcginn, coutinho and traore on the bench. 

And people say we have no depth or options. 

Traore is a big plus, but that's hardly a game changing bench.

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

More squad depth with Bertie.

In a month's time we could have cash, digne, konsa, mcginn, coutinho and traore on the bench. 

And people say we have no depth or options. 

Carlos and Duran too
Best bench for decades.

• Like 2

I’m glad Traore’s coming back, he’ll be like a new signing, let’s get him fit and see what Emery can do with him. He was inconsistent and sometimes infuriating under Smith, but his goals and assists were still a level above where Bailey’s have been. When he’s on fire he’s a majestic creature to watch. 

• Like 4

Getting Traore back showing how the club management is being good. How to be shrewd using the resources available without affecting long term plans.

I would have liked Guendouzi or Osorio, but getting Traore back is better than getting PL reject or loan from here or there.

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yes Ings was out " top scorer " but he was barely involved ffs.

This isn't true. In 19 league games he played in 18 of them. He started 7 of those. That's not 'barely involved' in anyone's book.

• Like 2

I HATE to say I told you so, but I did suggest this two weeks ago, but then everyone told me how much of a bad fan I was for saying it… and that’s even with me saying how disappointed I was with the idea! 
Summertime madness to follow. 

Traore makes perfect sense.

Hes wildly erratic and injury prone, but if Emery can get him playing well then his value will increase as well as sorting cover for thatarea of the pitch.

4 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

How many teams in the league have stronger players than those sitting on their bench?

How many game changers are there? I believe plenty of teams have decent attacking alternatives to the first 11.

Don't forget Coutinho had a 0% pass completion stat in the last game, and he's looked pretty awful since June.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

This isn't true. In 19 league games he played in 18 of them. He started 7 of those. That's not 'barely involved' in anyone's book.

How about just time played under Emery when we've looked good? I make it about 50% of the time.  And of that 50% he was only good against Brighton and Wolves.

Shares a lot of the blame for the failures at Newcastle and Stevenage, and generally has looked average or poor in the 6 league games he didn't score in.

Duran could be expected to offer a similar return of average performances.

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

How many game changers are there? I believe plenty of teams have decent attacking alternatives to the first 11.

Don't forget Coutinho had a 0% pass completion stat in the last game, and he's looked pretty awful since June.

Well that depends. 

Game changers if we were holding on to a lead? Lots. We've utilised FBs playing those wide midfield roles before. 

Attacking sense. Traore and Coutinho always have potential but agreed its been awhile since we've seen that. 

Dhuran is an unknown. 

But again, I don't see many other teams with these experienced game changing attackers waiting to come on.