January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

My understanding of bidding is this:

A club will do some due dilligence of the likelyhood of a deal....i.e Player wants to come. and club is willing to sell.

If that criteria is met....buying club will bid.

Its not a good sign to be bidding and not get your intended target..... it tends to spook other targets.....bit like a House being on the market for too long, can spook the buyers.

We wouldn't even have contacted the club if we were going to pay his release clause.  In Spain if a club is prepared to pay the release clause, the contract is usually bought out by the player, with money being refunded to the player once the deal is made.

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

If we are going to be buying anyone tomorrow I would expect a rumour about it from a credible source by the end of today. Although the club is good at keeping transfer business quiet, it still tends to come out close to the transfer happening. 

Why in the world would you expect any kind of rumour?

Id say we will only know an hour or so before

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

That's if we want to stay still though. The point of the transfer window, particularly with a new manager, is to improve or bring in what he wants. Granted that's not easy in January, but then at least don't go getting rid of players you've already got. Especially your top scorer. As you say we're definitely light up front, and that will be the toughest position to buy for. No-one wants to sell a goal scorer at the best of times. And we've got rid of 2 others and looking at 1 or 2 more. I don't think our current January transfer window activity can reasonably be spun particularly positively at the moment. But there is time.

I agree with this. But the stand still is only relative to the players available. I think we lost 18 months due to the end of Smith and Gerrard mess. So we don't have the data on the existing squad and what they're capable of under a proper coach. 

I think the Ings sale was a risk reward situation. The number of PL clubs desperate for a goal scorer to avoid relegation was high. So the opportunity to sell Ings at a price of £15m was only really available now. I think the club made the decision that with Duran coming in and a high confidence of adding another forward player we would be ok. 

It seems to me we might have had an issue with this additional forward (Deulofeu?) so we could end up light. I still think the decision made at the time to sell Ings was the right one.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Weird… just flicked on SSN for the first time in yonks and they just said “one potential incoming for Aston Villa” before the ad break…

Probably nonsense 😆

Yeah I heard that….do they know something? Doubt it…knowing them they are taking the pee and it’s for the women’s team.

6 minutes ago, BOF said:

That's if we want to stay still though. The point of the transfer window, particularly with a new manager, is to improve or bring in what he wants. Granted that's not easy in January, but then at least don't go getting rid of players you've already got. Especially your top scorer. As you say we're definitely light up front, and that will be the toughest position to buy for. No-one wants to sell a goal scorer at the best of times. And we've got rid of 2 others and looking at 1 or 2 more. I don't think our current January transfer window activity can reasonably be spun particularly positively at the moment. But there is time.

For the sake of playing devil's advocate, the best business sometimes can be holding onto your best players, and/or trimming the squad and getting good value weighed against the amortisation of a players contract and value, and/or bringing in good competition for places / players for the future / first team players. 

From Emery's comments and body language when making those comments, I would suggest he is comfortable with the idea of letting go of players he sees as having no future in his squad now and re-building to a certain degree in the summer. 

It doesn't fit the narrative if we're happy to let go of Ings and then happy to bring in a replacement that's equally ill-fitting and short term. 

Secondly, as I see it, standing still would have been keeping Gerrard in charge. If we leave January window holding onto Luiz, Kamara, Martinez and having got another month of Emery in charge and getting his ideas across to a trimmed and focused squad, we're in a good place. 

We're not going down and we'll need a lot more than a couple of great last-minute deals to get into Europe next season. Time for us to fold our hand and get the agents of some top talent on the line about a summer move. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I heard that….do they know something? Doubt it…knowing them they are taking the pee and it’s for the women’s team.

Just Guendouzi again, they know nothing!

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just regurgitated the Guendouzi news 🙄

Nothing new, if not now then maybe the summer 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Ummm because that is what happened in about 99% of our previous transfers perhaps?! Danny Ings being the exception. 

You should have said something about Duran