January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Just now, TRO said:

It seems the asking prices are too high....we have to remain cute.

If we have to keep our powder dry, so be it.

Asking prices are always gonna be high for good players😂 if you want them you have to pay it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Not sure that’s a great answer, this squad has also lost to Stevenage.  My point being that who we’ve beaten doesn’t change that we can all see weaknesses that we hope can be addressed.

And three of the starting XI are gone.  Signing squad filler is how we ended up with players like Bednarek and Olsen in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

People are on about Europe but realistically we dont have anywhere near the depth for it at the moment.

It would be great to make it but there's a realistic chance it hurts our short term progress by actually making it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Understand the sentiment behind this post, but also understand why some would be apprehensive about going into the remainder of the season with what we've got. 

Personally I thought our squad was a bit light before we let players go. When we're putting multiple goalkeepers on the bench, I think that shows your squad is really lacking depth. 

Whilst we could have an incredible second half of the season, I think that European football is fairly unlikely.

Working well with what we've got and assessing the squad fully in the summer - when more sensible business can be done - isn't a bad option.  I think it would be different if we were higher or, indeed, much lower in the league but we're pretty much nailed on for a mid table (hopefully top half) finish.  Panic buying isn't necessary.

Just now, Folski said:

People are on about Europe but realistically we dont have anywhere near the depth for it at the moment.

It would be great to make it but there's a realistic chance it hurts our short term progress by actually making it.

I don't think Liverpool depth is that good either and always struggle with injuries.

Chelsea spent £500 million and still playing Hall and Cashwuemeka. Keep chopping and changing to find a 11 that works. Maybe too much depth.

Fulham, Brentford and Brighton about the same deph of us but we all now know their best 11 which is one up on Chelsea and Liverpool.

We're in the mix 

2 minutes ago, Folski said:

Getting into Europe for next season would probably do more damage in the long run, we don't have the squad.  Many teams that unexpectedly find themselves in Europe, usually suffer a dip in league form.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

January is the shittest month to do business.  We have a decent squad already.

The impatience involved in football is so infuriating.

Yes January is not as good as the summer window but there is still a window in which good deals can be done and are being done.  Also for our new manager to get in players that fit his style and also weaknesses in our team.

I feel it’s just as infuriating that fans who almost give up the second half of the season, literally 3 points off a European place with 18 games to go when another quality player or two can really make a difference for a push to those spots in the league.  So I would argue it’s not impatience but seeing the opportunity now.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Whilst we could have an incredible second half of the season, I think that European football is fairly unlikely.

Working well with what we've got and assessing the squad fully in the summer - when more sensible business can be done - isn't a bad option.  I think it would be different if we were higher or, indeed, much lower in the league but we're pretty much nailed on for a mid table (hopefully top half) finish.  Panic buying isn't necessary.

Yeah, I'm coming around to this, but the big disparity on here seems to be between those who think we should push for Europe this year, and get bods in now, and those wanting to wait.

Not a bad idea in principle, and I have nothing specifically against that approach, but I do wonder how patient our top players (I'm thinking Emi here) are going to be with it.

In a way his World Cup antics may have worked in our favour here, because some of the top teams might think there is an attitude issue with him, potentially reducing demand. Obviously we all know he's just a baller who just wears his emotions on his sleeve.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Folski said:

I mentioned the same sentiment a few days ago.

However on the flipside, i've now started to wonder if this mini clearout has started early, with those things in mind.

Replace dross with equal or higher quality as our current starting 11, as well as " wonderkids ". Then strengthen further in the summer.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Asking prices are always gonna be high for good players😂 if you want them you have to pay it. 

I think there is always going to be a time, when that has to be considered....to keep getting bargains is fanciful.

If the manager, thinks one player is going to ignite the team, they should push the boat out. I agree.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Yeah, I'm coming around to this, but the big disparity on here seems to be between those who think we should push for Europe this year, and get bods in now, and those wanting to wait.

Not a bad idea in principle, and I have nothing specifically against that approach, but I do wonder how patient our top players (I'm thinking Emi here) are going to be with it.

In a way his World Cup antics may have worked in our favour here, because some of the top teams might think there is an attitude issue with him, potentially reducing demand. Obviously we all know he's just a baller who just wears his emotions on his sleeve.

The one I am concerned about is Kamara......we have to build around him, to keep him.

• Like 4

Starting to accept that there will be no more incomings this window, for sure if there is nothing close by the weekend. I've got no issue with it. We were screaming for a DM last January with the Bissouma rumours right up until deadline day but the club waited and got Kamara in the summer instead. 

I'm sure the club will only be looking for players that are going to improve what is there already and January is not a month where clubs want to be selling key players if they can help it (which is probably the type of player Villa are targeting) so will demand a ridiculous price. Last thing we want is Villa to be getting any panic/desperate signings and 6 months later looking to sell but can't shift them.

Main concern is an injury to Watkins leaves the squad short but the club is in a good position for a change. Most likely won't get relegated and won't finish in the European places (with the squad as it currently is) which makes it easier to give minutes to younger players like Duran. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yes January is not as good as the summer window but there is still a window in which good deals can be done and are being done.  Also for our new manager to get in players that fit his style and also weaknesses in our team.

I feel it’s just as infuriating that fans who almost give up the second half of the season, literally 3 points off a European place with 18 games to go when another quality player or two can really make a difference for a push to those spots in the league.  So I would argue it’s not impatience but seeing the opportunity now.

I think when the summer comes, player holidays, tournamounts and Pre-Season tours are rolled out as obstacles.....so it seems, there is never a good time.

• Like 2

There seems to be a similar attitude sneaking in that appeared during Deano's 2nd season. Where some are acting like football will end in a few years and we have to finish in European places right now. 

I'd like some signings but we're not Everton right now. There's no desperation. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Always a potential problem but at the same time, we are told not to buy the players because we aren’t in Europe so can’t have that level of squad.  

Also the level or quality we want are more likely to come if we have Europe…not as much as CL qualification but more likely than having no European football at all.

I think it’s also defeatist thinking it’s better not to have European football and the extra games.  Surely let’s get European football and then figure how we cope with it.  We have the elite manager who is used to playing in many competitions unlike many of the clubs you are probably thinking of like West Ham, so I trust in him.

bit of truth in that.

15 minutes ago, Folski said:

It also could hurt us short term not getting Europe.  Not able to attract players we want in the summer and/or players like Martinez and Kamara courted by bigger clubs.  The argument goes both ways.  

I don’t think we are getting a Europe league place but we are 3 points off it’s 18 games to go, maybe some quality additions now make the difference and then in the summer we figure how we cope with the extra games….certainly a nice problem to have.  If we buy a couple of additions then at least they are settled ready for the charge next season even if we don’t make Europe this season.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Unai has said multiple times he wants a particular style of winger and that Jhon wasn’t signed to replace Ings - and people still want to believe we are done for the window 

It's the same every window. The bed wetters go into full panic mode with a week to go, even though we could announce multiple transfers on deadline day if we wanted to. Deals sometimes go to the wire because of gamesmanship or waiting for dependent deals to happen,but they choose to ignore this fact! 

• Like 1