January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

15 minutes ago, Adbo9 said:

Who was the player we were close to signing from Colo Colo......... think it was Little or Gregory era ?

Marcelo Salas? Never played for Colo Colo though. Universidad Chile and then River Plate.

5 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Marcelo Salas? Never played for Colo Colo though. Universidad Chile and then River Plate.

It was Jose Luis Sierra - i remember it being on Central News cos he was the man who put the pass in for Salas at Wembley v England......... done deal, all fell through last minute !! 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Everton have spent over 20 million on something like 25 players and are complete shite. There's no blanket rule when it comes to transfers so I never get just moaning over the specific number spent  as if it's the be-all and end-all. Kamara wouldn't be a better player if Villa generously gave Marseilles 40 million for him rather than jumping on the opportunity to get him for free.

Well.

It's all about if a player is worth the money.

If Kamara had been available to us at £40m instead of free, I'd still have signed him.

I wouldn't if the price was £150m.

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Comon in reality any decent player to hit the ground running is 40-50 mill plus these days. Why do the board claim to have aspirations of European football, yet we are still looking in the bargain basement for players who might come good..

We will only end up being the shittest football team to ever reach top 6, if ever.

Definitely understand the frustration. I'm with you, emotionally. But intellectually, I think the wisest spending in this window in our current situation -- if we truly do want to get to Europe -- will be careful and restrained. "There is a time to every purpose" etc., and we may just need to muddle through to summer. It's a tough one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Do we reckon these young players are an addition TO our plans.. or that Emery is of the mind that, if he can't get certain " immediate " targets, he is willing to get some wonderkids in, and develop them into those players short, medium and long term at better value?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MrBlack said:

19 registered senior players, 3 of whom are injured, and two are sub goalies. Obviously Ramsey is first team equivalent but is still only an outfield squad of 14 to pick your 10 from. Certainly doesn't sound like it gives Emery the options to change that he has spoken about. 

Plenty of room for incomings there, and if we don't get one I'll imagine it wasn't for the want of trying. 

Agree MB. Id be suprised if thats the squad we go into 2nd half of season with no incomings. Im sure a couple  more will come in.

I have a feeling there will be a complete unknown signing coming out of nowhere 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Do we reckon these young players are an addition TO our plans.. or that Emery is of the mind that, if he can't get certain " immediate " targets, he is willing to get some wonderkids in, and develop them into those players short, medium and long term at better value?

Yeah I do. And hope so.

Other added benefit of signing the 29 year old is that the young players get the older players to learn from.

We do have to balance it with FFP though,  and only buying one or the other leaves us handicapped. We've seemingly got a very good blend these days. 

Kamara age range, ready made brilliance, with still room to improve, is impossible to buy with our funds, unless they're free transfers.

We were too young and inexperienced under Dean, then possibly went too far the other way with most of Gerrard's signings.

Coutinho, whilst seemingly not up to in a match, is probably still attracting global attention, given our youth a bit of a buzz and for technique that can't really be taught they'll not get a better close up view. He's overpaid for that, and there are better examples to learn from, but he does bring other attributes to the table. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Other added benefit of signing the 29 year old is that the young players get the older players to learn from.

We do have to balance it with FFP though,  and only buying one or the other leaves us handicapped. We've seemingly got a very good blend these days. 

Kamara age range, ready made brilliance, with still room to improve, is impossible to buy with our funds, unless they're free transfers.

We were too young and inexperienced under Dean, then possibly went too far the other way with most of Gerrard's signings.

Coutinho, whilst seemingly not up to in a match, is probably still attracting global attention, given our youth a bit of a buzz and for technique that can't really be taught they'll not get a better close up view. He's overpaid for that, and there are better examples to learn from, but he does bring other attributes to the table. 

For Coutinho I think its the other way round, now people think we’re doing signings for the sake of it. Everyone notices he wasn’t a success by not playing regularly. For me I very much prefer the other approach. I wasn’t excited by Coutinho nor Digne. Although Digne was more success than a permenant Coutinho (who to be honest impressed me in the first couple of games especially as he was on loan). 
We can’t afford to have such a signings right now. Brighton is attracting a lot of players without having big names. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

For me I think if you’re good enough then you can play. Especially if your physically ready. For me I’m very much ok with Duran as a second choice. I won’t mind a short term solution to have 3 strikers just incase, but I think next summer we should look at a striker who shall take Watkins place, sell Watkins and keep Duran to play aswell.

• Like 1