January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

2 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I just really want wingers and every time I have a think about it or check gossip, I'm left feeling like the obvious first step is just to bring Philogene back from Cardiff and get him minutes off the bench at least. 

Get Archer out on loan before he turns into Davis mk2

Not strong enough! Nowhere near and thats for both prem and championship way too lightweight 

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I just really want wingers and every time I have a think about it or check gossip, I'm left feeling like the obvious first step is just to bring Philogene back from Cardiff and get him minutes off the bench at least. 

Get Archer out on loan before he turns into Davis mk2

Maybe let Philogene show his skills in a couple of league games, then we can sell him to Chelsea for 50m as being the new Saint-Maximin.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I honestly don’t think JPB is ready for our first team.  I like your sentiment but I’m not sure it’s the right move for him in his development or what we need for the team.  We just need to go to market.

It's just a shame. If you'd asked me under Dean last summer who would be in our squad in 18 months from the academy, I could probably have named a 7 man bench of academy talents. Now our bench is full of players we've paid too much for, on high wages. It feels like the route has been blocked. 

Not saying that we should risk it all with unproven youth, I guess it's more a reflection on this talented crop of players all struggling to reach the heights expected so far 

Barry, Kesler, Philogene, Archer, Sinisalo, Iroegbunam, Ramsey jr etc etc probably forgetting some. 

3 minutes ago, skarroki said:

It's just a shame. If you'd asked me under Dean last summer who would be in our squad in 18 months from the academy, I could probably have named a 7 man bench of academy talents. Now our bench is full of players we've paid too much for, on high wages. It feels like the route has been blocked. 

Not saying that we should risk it all with unproven youth, I guess it's more a reflection on this talented crop of players all struggling to reach the heights expected so far 

Barry, Kesler, Philogene, Archer, Sinisalo, Iroegbunam, Ramsey jr etc etc probably forgetting some. 

Yeah it feels like the plan of getting academy players into the team has been scrapped. Thought about it yesterday, two years ago we would have played a lot of kids v Stevenage but now it was strictly older bench warmers.

Maybe the club lost faith when the best youngster was sold.

Edited by VillaParkAvenue
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Yeah it feels like the plan of getting academy players into the team has been scrapped. Thought about it yesterday, two years ago we would have played a lot of kids v Stevenage but now it was strictly older bench warmers.

That's how I felt. Seeing Sanson, Dendoncker, Bednarek, Chambers, Young, Ings, Coutinho was weird against a league 2 side. A lot of out-of-form talent all shoved into an XI. I think just sticking Archer up top and someone like Kaden in midfield would have made all the difference, a couple of hungry players desperate to make an impression rather than players desperate to discover some form. 

1 minute ago, skarroki said:

I’ve watched our youth on and off for decades. Yes we have invested heavily recently but in our club or any club, very few ever make it to first team level.  They can be stars at every level but some of our fans forget we are playing at the elite of football.  The best players in the world come to play football in our league, it’s the pinnacle of football, so very few footballers can make it at that level.  

You drop a level you can times that by a factor of ten at least and be a star but push it to the top level it becomes really hard.  You need to be incredibly talented but you also need a little bit of luck.  

Even this crop of youngsters, only a few will have an elite career if that many and it’s always hard to judge who apart from a few special like G.Barry and Jack who were standouts.  Most will go onto to have good careers in the Championship, L1 and L2.

7 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I feel you're all going way overboard with conspiracies ffs.

Our best youngsters are out on loan, and doing well for the most part.

You're the same people having a meltdown about the cup loss but would have wanted us to play our weaker youngsters yesterday? lol

JJ has come through the academy.

The likes of Iroegbunam, Aaron Ramsey and Bidace probably would have been involved yesterday were they around.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

Just now, skarroki said:

That's how I felt. Seeing Sanson, Dendoncker, Bednarek, Chambers, Young, Ings, Coutinho was weird against a league 2 side. A lot of out-of-form talent all shoved into an XI. I think just sticking Archer up top and someone like Kaden in midfield would have made all the difference, a couple of hungry players desperate to make an impression rather than players desperate to discover some form. 

New manager just wanted to see how his fringe players played in the first competitive match he could do that in.  Nothing more than that.  His priority is understanding his senior squad first, the kids will get their chance once he’s been here a little longer.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Moreno, McKennie and Moleiro would be an excellent window.

Throw in Pau Torres as well and Emery can really put his stamp on this team.

Mckennie isn’t as good as we expect, moleiro would be for the future 

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I feel you're all going way overboard with conspiracies ffs.

Our best youngsters are out on loan, and doing well for the most part.

You're the same people having a meltdown about the cup loss but would have wanted us to play our weaker youngsters yesterday? lol

At least it feels better to lose with kids than with senior players.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Ermm no , it’s quite normal only to see one or two  make it out of 30 youngsters. Plenty out of the academy are playing regular football in the championship. And the Carney Chukwemeka saga was a success we got £20m for him booked as clear profit. Some will make it some will be sold. 

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Anyone becoming bored by the turnover of players in football. Maybe it's always been there, just seems rediculous right now. Regular change in managers probably also contributes.

the turvontour of players in football?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

New manager just wanted to see how his fringe players played in the first competitive match he could do that in.  Nothing more than that.  His priority is understanding his senior squad first, the kids will get their chance once he’s been here a little longer.

I understand the decision and why it was made, I was just stating what I'd have preferred to have seen. 

In response to the previous post about who makes it and who doesn't, again I understand how that works but that doesn't stop us from giving these guys a go. If we didn't try Archer in the cup last season he'd have still been seen as a non-league player, if he was even still contracted to the club. Instead we were batting away interest from the championship all summer so he could get maybe 30 minutes of game time. 

It's by the by anyway, the club isn't run quite the way I'd like and Emery made a decision I didn't like but overall I still have faith that we're going in the right direction. Nobody will ever agree with every decision. 

@JAMAICAN-VILLAN just to say I know you're not singling me out particularly or anything but I don't think I said anything on here to suggest I went overboard in my reaction to yesterday's result. It is what it is with the loss, there are lessons to be learned. I have faith Emery will get things right and I hope for a good cup run next season. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Moreno, McKennie and Moleiro would be an excellent window.

Throw in Pau Torres as well and Emery can really put his stamp on this team.

Would much rather someone like Kokcu or Laimer if he wasn’t going to Bayern. Perhaps Kessie if we could get him?