January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

9 hours ago, RicRic said:

Yeah its basically carlos hasn’t been brought in to sit on the bench so ultimately it would be Mings being replaced and coming on from the bench, not the main priority i agree but it’s something that will need to happen in due course to progress, Konsa is certainly not a guaranteed starter either and will need to showcase this.

Our forward areas is the most critical area as of now, full back areas follow closely behind. 

Maybe 3 at the back incoming 

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Think he’d prefer to prance about in women’s clothes for the most part.

Or fashion as its known 😉

But its right, I think he prefers that world to football, he is often injured and seemingly the injuries give him more time and opportunity to pursue his love of fashion, so even if I don't go as far as to question if he's actually injured I do question if he's in that much of a rush to get back

16 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I'd sooner play Carlos over Konsa with Ming's.

Konsa too slow for alot of modern attackers. Carlos has pace and strength.

Ming's has more pace and strength than Konsa as well.

I am sure Carlos was bought to compete with Mings, but Konsa has limitations - like Mings, a decent stopper, but he has zero confidence stepping out or passing other than to Mings or Cash. This limits his game in a progressive or possession based team 

Looks like the Moreno deal is happening. Wonder where it leaves Digne (who hasn’t been so much poor but far from outstanding too. For the outlay, I think we expected a lot more).

Competition is healthy but we can’t keep sticking ageing players on the bench who earn over 100k pw… Digne, Coutinho, Ings… it’s not financially sensible or sustainable. Best to sell (even if it’s difficult and we won’t recoup a hell of a lot in terms of transfer fee) and bring in or utilise some younger talent imo. Experience is useful too but again… 💰 

It’s not just the financial aspect (which is my primary concern tbh… we need to be sensible and allow some freeing up of funds and wages to further strengthen the first team aswell as the squad, rather than be too restricted), energy/stamina, speed/agility is important to have in a squad. Ings and Coutinho in particular just don’t have enough of that going forwards and will only decline in that sense. Yes, they’re useful players to have in the squad but… 💰.

I prefer to have players with a  bit of longevity too rather than short term, financial burdens.

I just think your most highly paid players need to be your best ones and usually starting but that’s not the case for now…

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Looks like the Moreno deal is happening. Wonder where it leaves Digne (who hasn’t been so much poor but far from outstanding too. For the outlay, I think we expected a lot more).

Competition is healthy but we can’t keep sticking ageing players on the bench who earn over 100k pw… Digne, Coutinho, Ings… it’s not financially sensible or sustainable. Best to sell (even if it’s difficult and we won’t recoup a hell of a lot in terms of transfer fee) and bring in or utilise some younger talent imo. Experience is useful too but again… 💰 

It’s not just the financial aspect (which is my primary concern tbh… we need to be sensible and allow some freeing up of funds and wages to further strengthen the first team aswell as the squad, rather than be too restricted), energy/stamina, speed/agility is important to have in a squad. Ings and Coutinho in particular just don’t have enough of that going forwards and will only decline in that sense. Yes, they’re useful players to have in the squad but… 💰.

I prefer to have players with a  bit of longevity too rather than short term, financial burdens.

I just think your most highly paid players need to be your best ones and usually starting but that’s not the case for now…

Ings is the only regular scorer.  I’d argue outside of Kamara and Martinez, the rest are pretty much the same level and that includes Ings.  Ings has never relied on pace in his career and given that and the fact he still scores, arguably that puts him in the category of one of our better players whether he starts or not.

As for longevity, that’s somewhat pie in the sky, most successful clubs or clubs on the right track have a mixture of young, prime and ageing players.  You need that balance for so many different reasons.  Additionally how many clubs outside the very elite have access to a regular goalscorer on the bench….we do and given we want to move up in the league, have options, the it’s essential we keep players like Ings to bring on, like in the game against Wolves, to have something different.  Without him we would’ve lost that game.  I think Ings has more that enough to be very valuable over the coming years and worth his cost.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ings is the only regular scorer.  I’d argue outside of Kamara and Martinez, the rest are pretty much the same level and that includes Ings.  Ings has never relied on pace in his career and given that and the fact he still scores, arguably that puts him in the category of one of our better players whether he starts or not.

As for longevity, that’s somewhat pie in the sky, most successful clubs or clubs on the right track have a mixture of young, prime and ageing players.  You need that balance for so many different reasons.  Additionally how many clubs outside the very elite have access to a regular goalscorer on the bench….we do and given we want to move up in the league, have options, the it’s essential we keep players like Ings to bring on, like in the game against Wolves, to have something different.  Without him we would’ve lost that game.  I think Ings has more that enough to be very valuable over the coming years and worth his cost.

Wasn’t focussing solely on Ings and there is no doubt he’s shown his finishing ability… he has provided food for thought and changed a few minds (including mine). It’s probably because we actually have a manager now too…

Surround him with creativity and workrate and I think he could thrive. I’d probably rather see Ollie out wide (if he has to play) and Ings up front if he can keep scoring.

My point still stands however, too many (older) players on £100k-200k pw on the bench is not sensible or sustainable. It hinders us too. Maybe if we were regularly playing in Europe and had healthy/consistent revenue/commercial streams of income but not right now…

Again, it’s the financial aspect that most concerns me (but not the only one).

Digne and Coutinho are better off elsewhere if they’re going to be sitting on the bench most of the time. I’d rather we had more options that bring energy and tempo into the side when they come on… the same goes for Ings if he’s not going to play and we can bring a better alternative in…

I don’t want us to be overly hindered in the transfer market and Unai deserves some freedom to strengthen this team and bring in who he wants… we can’t forget about FFP either (unlike others 🙄).

Let Unai build the side in the image he wants and let’s shoot up this league.. 

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Wasn’t focussing solely on Ings and there is no doubt he’s shown his finishing ability… he has provided food for thought and changed a few minds (including mine). It’s probably because we actually have a manager now too…

Surround him with creativity and workrate and I think he could thrive. I’d probably rather see Ollie out wide (if he has to play) and Ings up front if he can keep scoring.

My point still stands however, too many (older) players on £100k-200k pw on the bench is not sensible or sustainable. It hinders us too. Maybe if we were regularly playing in Europe and had healthy/consistent revenue/commercial streams of income but not right now…

Again, it’s the financial aspect that most concerns me (but not the only one).

Digne and Coutinho are better off elsewhere if they’re going to be sitting on the bench most of the time. I’d rather we had more options that bring energy and tempo into the side when they come on… the same goes for Ings if he’s not going to play and we can bring a better alternative in…

I don’t want us to be overly hindered in the transfer market and Unai deserves some freedom to strengthen this team and bring in who he wants… we can’t forget about FFP either (unlike others 🙄).

Let Unai build the side in the image he wants and let’s shoot up this league.. 

Oh I agree generally, I just think it’s unfair generally that Ings gets lumped in with some of the others.  He does his job very well, give him service and he can score. He gets paid a lot but most strikers do but he earns it (as much as any footballer can earn their ridiculous wages) and to be fair he hasn’t been given that much pitch time comparatively but still has 6 league goals in the equivalent minutes of 8.5 games.

Digne and Coutinho have certainly not lived up to their money and I almost forgive some of it because of our previous manager and wouldn’t be overly fussed if either leave.  If they stay they need to earn this big wages because there are no excuses left now with an elite coach over them.  They both certainly have talent, we just haven’t seen very much of it.

I agree generally I would like younger, hungrier, better stamina and skill set and hopefully we can get those players through the door as well.

To be honest though I don’t care who stays and goes…like you, I’d let Emery build and get who he wants.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Oh I agree generally, I just think it’s unfair generally that Ings gets lumped in with some of the others.  He does his job very well, give him service and he can score. He gets paid a lot but most strikers do but he earns it (as much as any footballer can earn their ridiculous wages) and to be fair he hasn’t been given that much pitch time comparatively but still has 6 league goals in the equivalent minutes of 8.5 games.

Digne and Coutinho have certainly not lived up to their money and I almost forgive some of it because of our previous manager and wouldn’t be overly fussed if either leave.  If they stay they need to earn this big wages because there are no excuses left now with an elite coach over them.  They both certainly have talent, we just haven’t seen very much of it.

I agree generally I would like younger, hungrier, better stamina and skill set and hopefully we can get those players through the door as well.

To be honest though I don’t care who stays and goes…like you, I’d let Emery build and get who he wants.

Let’s hope some club is stupid enough to appoint SG and overspend for him to be reunited with them 🤣