January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I thought you weren't joking.

Then you said Neil Taylor.

I nearly fell off my chair laughing.

I wasn’t a fan of Alan Wright either, he divided peoples opinions at the time.  Not because of his height because he could actually leap quite high but he was average at best but he became some people’s favourite because of lack of height rather than his quality.

• Like 3

The mid-90s were a relatively successful time for Aston Villa. Having finished the inaugural Premier League season in second place behind Manchester United, they went on to pick up two League Cup victories in 1994 and 96, with Sir Alex Ferguson even proclaiming them the club that would join them as the elite force of English football.

And Carlos has revealed to The Sun that he very nearly donned the famous claret and blue with a move to the West Midlands very much on the cards.

“I actually came close to joining Aston Villa early in my career,” he said.

“I met with the club, but nothing happened.

“Birmingham were also interested, but it didn’t go anywhere and I later joined Inter Milan.”

Carlos was a part of the Brazil squad that played Sweden in an international friendly tournament in 1995 and Villa’s then chairman ‘Deadly’ Doug Ellis was said to be impressed with the youngster and wanted to bring him to the club.

However, manager Brian Little wasn’t so sure and decided to go against his chairman’s advice.

Well done, Brian, we’re sure Alan Wright was a big upgrade…

Instead, Little was settled with Wright in the left-back slot and opted to spend £2.5million on Crystal Palace defender Gareth Southgate and Carlos departed for Italian giants Inter Milan

https://www.givemesport.com/1042926-roberto-carlos-reveals-the-surprising-english-club-he-nearly-signed-for-in-1995

Yet another of our what-could-have-beens.

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Not really but Emery isnt a moments of magic manager. If he wants a 29 year old because he will fit into his system then who am i to argue. 

And its probably not to play left back anyway. With Emery it could be left wing or right mid just as easily. 

Or centre forward 😭

26 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

I get the impression emery looks at skill sets rather than positions when evaluating both players for a specific game and potential transfers

Probably a bit of both.  Using Coquellin at left midfield occasionally with Villarreal as an example.  How many managers would use a DM on the left wing?

I know I have moaned a few times saying we shouldn't really be buying anyone until the manager sees the players play over the second half of the season and to a latter degree improves the values of some of the players who will go in the summer......

BUT

Jack Butland is apparently out of contract in the summer and Utd are sniffing around..... we should be all over that for a number 2.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I know I have moaned a few times saying we shouldn't really be buying anyone until the manager sees the players play over the second half of the season and to a latter degree improves the values of some of the players who will go in the summer......

BUT

Jack Butland is apparently out of contract in the summer and Utd are sniffing around..... we should be all over that for a number 2.

Even as a number two nah next

• Shocked 1

On 03/01/2023 at 09:45, TRO said:

got the lurgy....can't go.

first game I've missed at home in yonks.

I’ve cursed myself, thought I was over the worst part, even got a negative covid result yesterday and thought I’d be negative today when tested and feel even more normal and thus go to the game.  Fate had other ideas and I tested this morning and it was positive and feel crap as the day has gone on.  Must have been a false negative yesterday although I did feel more normal yesterday but not today….so I’m in the same boat mate that I’m not going to be able to go tonight….gutted!

• Sad 1

Just saw something claiming McKennie turned us and Bournemouth down, and is waiting for an offer from CHELSEA or Tottenham lol.

How many midfielders can Chelsea hold?

Anyone take Carney on loan for the U21s? lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just saw something claiming McKennie turned us and Bournemouth down, and is waiting for an offer from CHELSEA or Tottenham lol.

How many midfielders can Chelsea hold?

Anyone take Carney on loan for the U21s? lol

Something? A good source?