January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Didn’t think it was anywhere near that high, it may have got up to £200k perhaps but still speculation on that plus we couldn’t do that on top of a £70-80m fee.  On a five year deal we’d then be outlaying £130m on one player.  That isn’t feasible for us.

It's my understanding that members of his family have said that Villa were prepared to match the wages that were on offer at City. But it was the possibility of success that he left for.

The wages quoted in the rags are always inflated. There will be a basic, then an appearance fee, then win bonuses, goal bonuses, and targeted bonuses for example winning the FA Cup or Champions League. Of course agents love to add this all up and exaggerate a bit to say "look how much I got my client." 

But if you get injured on day 1 after signing, you are only ever picking up your basic until you're back in the team.

35 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Marcus Thuram(who I think will be a top top signing for us) I reckon will go to Arsenal now that Jesus is out for Several Months. 

Good shout for them to buy him, they need another striker anyway.

3 hours ago, burchy said:

I just want to see some smart moves by Villa, even if the names that come in are a bit ‘out there’ as long as they fit seamlessly in with our playing style and philosophy I’ll be happy and trust Unai. 

Be good to get some younger potential players in as well, the next Enzo Fernandez or Julian Alvarez. 

Just think Alvarez could have been with us now

• Sad 1

Grealish would be back to his best or close to it for any other team but City.   But I don't think City will sell him if for no other reason than to keep him from playing for a competitor.   They can afford it even if he's not racking up the goals and assists.

36 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

It's my understanding that members of his family have said that Villa were prepared to match the wages that were on offer at City. But it was the possibility of success that he left for.

I always take this with a pinch of salt by family members because saying we offered the same as City makes Jack look better to the public that he did it only for the football and not the money.  

If they offered a lot more money and we couldn’t match then he gets hit not just for leaving but also the money grabbing rhetoric.  

Obviously I believe his main reason was for the football but wouldn’t surprised me if they offered a lot more wages.  

As you say he’s likely to make more in bonuses as well, as well as the additional commercial wages he’ll get from outside of City because he plays for them.  

Anyway it’s hard to see us matching his overall package because he wouldn’t earn those bonuses here and thus we’d have to inflate his basic wage or signing on fee to cover if this was ever to happen as a transfer in the near future because our competition for his signature would be offering a similar package.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Grealish would be back to his best or close to it for any other team but City.   But I don't think City will sell him if for no other reason than to keep him from playing for a competitor.   They can afford it even if he's not racking up the goals and assists.

Only games City have dropped points in this season is when Grealish hasn’t played a single minute. A lot of City fans are now saying he is a key member of the team. 

Edited by WHY