Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Nothing has changed. We were never going to finish above Brighton, who I suspect would finish at least 5 points above us, maybe more.

Thats 2 of the 4 games they were definitely gonna lose and they have won them both.

I've genuinely not been interested in their results as its been between us and Spurs for 7th for a few weeks now.

We now find ourselves in the position that even if we win both of our final games, we may still finish 8th.

The way spurs are playing and with the fan protests, they could easily lose the next 2. Brentford are a good team and Leeds will be fighting on that last day. 

A point against Brighton could get us 7th.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

When was the last time someone finished 8th with 60 + points. Scrub that who was the last team in premier league to reach 60 points and not qualify for europe in any way?

Just wish one season where we're actually pretty decent we didn't have to case an abnormally high points total to finish in one of the lower european places.

Last season Man. United finished 6th on 58 points (and they chucked the season in around March). West Ham finished 7th on 56 points.

Yep like when we got 55 points and we still only got 11th which was really unusual points total for that position.  Seems when we get a good points haul it never reflects usual position that gets.

• Like 3

We should still be incredibly proud of what this group of players have achieved since Steven Pulis left. To go from out the bottom 3 on goals scored to even having a chance, still, of Europe is nothing short of a miracle.

Next season is going to be some ride.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

What’s the bet we beat Liverpool, Brentford beat Spurs, we all get excited for the final game and the we lose to Brighton and Spurs do enough against Leeds.

I think we will lose at Liverpool and Spurs will beat Brentford. 

That would mean the Brighton game is a dead rubber but it's just what I think will happen. 

Next season we will be clearly stronger and its obvious what our objectives will be.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

When was the last time someone finished 8th with 60 + points. Scrub that who was the last team in premier league to reach 60 points and not qualify for europe in any way?

Just wish one season where we're actually pretty decent we didn't have to case an abnormally high points total to finish in one of the lower european places.

Last season Man. United finished 6th on 58 points (and they chucked the season in around March). West Ham finished 7th on 56 points.

In fairness a couple of years ago Arsenal finished 8th with 61 points (our 55 point season).

Prior to that I think you’re looking at Liverpool in our relegation year, 8th on 60 points.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

It will be difficult for us get 3 more points, 1 might do it though. I can't see Spurs getting anything else this season. Our main challengers might be Brentford. 

WTF No! They have Spurs and City.  City will beat them.

Just now, DCJonah said:

Brighton still have to play Newcastle, City and us. 

It's not completely over yet. 

And Southampton at home. If they win that then they are 4 points above us with a game in hand.

Forget about Brighton. Seriously.

Arsenal look very very slow and some of their play was dire and predictable.

You would have thought at 1 nil they would have pushed forwards but nope. Saka looks burnt out and typically when we need them to turn up, they collapse.

Shite Arsenal 

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If Spurs beat Brentford and we lose to Liverpool which seems the most likely outcome our season is over and we're 8th. Ant other scenario and it goes to the final day

Spurs beat Brentford? Are you sure that’s the likely outcome given Spurs form and Brentford’s form, added to Brentford scoring well and Spurs defence is shocking.  I think Brentford getting something, even a win is more likely.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Spurs beat Brentford? Are you sure that’s the likely outcome given Spurs form and Brentford’s form, added to Brentford scoring well and Spurs defence is shocking.  I think Brentford getting something, even a win is more likely.

He's not said that Spurs will beat Brentford. Just stating what will happen under a certain scenario 

• Confused 1

Just now, jones1328 said:

He's not said that Spurs will beat Brentford. Just stating what will happen under a certain scenario 

As I said, he said likely outcome.  I said I don’t agree it’s the likely outcome 

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Brighton still have to play Newcastle, City and us. 

It's not completely over yet. 

Thanks to Arsenal giving City the title they will have nothing to play for against Brighton now and the deck chairs will be out.

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We likely won’t get 60 points.