Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Well, visiting the last chance saloon proved to be fruitful (for now) and it's back on again.   Highest we can finish is 5th but we'd need Liverpool to collapse, lowest we can finish is 8th 

Liverpool (62) - Leicester (a) Villa (h) Southampton (a)

Spurs (57) - Brentford (h) Leeds (a)

Villa (57) - Liverpool (a) Brighton (h) 

Brighton (55) - Arsenal (a) Newcastle (a) Southampton (h) Manchester City (h) Villa (a) 

Liverpool are basically out of sight.  They can still qualify for the Champions League, they need a four point swing on Newcastle or Man Utd with nine to play for. 

Brighton's run in is horrible.  They've got five games in two weeks and four of them are against teams who have something to play for.   Will Southampton turn into Brazil circa 1970 now they've been relegated?  

I don't know what to think about Spurs.  I can see them continuing to drop points, especially if Leeds need something to stay up on the final day. 

Best case for us I guess is a winner takes all situation against Brighton on the final day.  The atmosphere will be incredible if we make it there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

The most pleasing thing about today honestly. A first top half finish in over a decade, feels great. 

To be a bit of a pendant, we actually finished in the top half, the following season (9th in 2010/11). I know it didn't feel like that given we were in a relegation battle for most of that season.

Same amount of points with the team we're competing with for Europe. Yet when we lost to Wolves it was "delusional' for anyone to think we were still in with a shout for Europa League. 

Scenes.

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Same amount of points with the team we're competing with for Europe. Yet when we lost to Wolves it was "delusional' for anyone to think we were still in with a shout for Europa League. 

Scenes.

Not delusional but we made it so much harder for ourselves when you look at remaining fixtures

16 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Scenes.

Beating the dingles would have made it easier. 

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

So only the 5th place team makes Europa League, and 6th gets Conference while 7th gets nada?

The fa cup spot will go to 6th and 7th gets euro conference. I think. 

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today's result means that we will go into the last match of the season with a chance of qualifying for Europe.  It might be a very distant hope if we get battered by Liverpool and Spurs demolish Brentford.  But it has been a long, long time since we've gone into the last match of the season with that being possible.  Hopefully if we can get a result at Liverpool we can have a realistic opportunity.  I think Brentford have every chance of getting at least a draw.

• Like 1

Unfortunately can't see us finishing top 7. Hope i'm wrong obviously but think the wolves result killed it.

We'll lose to liverpool imo and get no more than a point v brighton. 

Spurs will draw v brentford and beat leeds. Brighton will beat soton and get a point v us plus one more.

Just how i see it.

• Sad 1