Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

4 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

If we finish 8th, after demonstrating top 4 form since Emery arrived, it will be because we had a dud as manager for the first 9 games.

Yup.  We aren't going to be consistently perfect under any manager. That is arguably our only bad result in over 10 games. Keep that form going over a season and you finish top 6. Keep Emery's from going since he arrived and we're fighting for the top 4.

The Wolves game was disappointing, but it absolutely cannot be labelled the result that stopped us getting Europe.

Edit: and it might not stop it anyway.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

If we finish 8th, after demonstrating top 4 form since Emery arrived, it will be because we had a dud as manager for the first 9 games.

Agreed 

8 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Hey don't call him that, it's unfair on other professionals.

• Haha 4

If we get European football I will be ecstatic,more Villa games I can watch.

On the flip side though, I won't be disappointed if we don't.

There are pro's and con's to both.

Wherever we end up, I'm excited for next season!

Key is to start next season well. There are limits to how well you can do when you're generally awful in first three months as we were this season. It was what 2 wins in first 12 games so it is simply very difficult to quality for Newcastle giving good teams big points head starts. Minor miracle we remain in serious contention with three games to go.

Have a 20/21 start next season and I'd be genuinely excited to see what we could achieve, hopefully a good cup run to throw in aswell if we don't make europe.

Re next season, it would actually be nice to see the players come back fit and ready to go. It’s so disappointing when we appear unfit first game of the season. I can still remember Watford away and Targett could barely move.

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Re next season, it would actually be nice to see the players come back fit and ready to go. It’s so disappointing when we appear unfit first game of the season. I can still remember Watford away and Targett could barely move.

Played every minute of the season before and was never subbed, and then he was hooked after 1 game Watford away 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Key is to start next season well. There are limits to how well you can do when you're generally awful in first three months as we were this season. It was what 2 wins in first 12 games so it is simply very difficult to quality for Newcastle giving good teams big points head starts. Minor miracle we remain in serious contention with three games to go.

Have a 20/21 start next season and I'd be genuinely excited to see what we could achieve, hopefully a good cup run to throw in aswell if we don't make europe.

I'm calling it now. First game next season will be Burnley away. They will be right up for it, and we'll struggle to get 'owt, as the Burnley folk would say. 

2 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I'm calling it now. First game next season will be Burnley away. They will be right up for it, and we'll struggle to get 'owt, as the Burnley folk would say. 

Burnley are going to get destroyed next season when Kompany tries to play his Pep imitation ball in the Prem.  It's alright doing that against Preston and Rotherham, it won't translate to the PL.  Kompany will be sacked next season i'd imagine, if Burnley are in a relegation battle. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Be great if we can get one of the toughies out early united or city away

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Be great if we can get one of the toughies out early united or city away

City do tend to start slowly too. Would rather have them while they’re warming up rather than when they are piling on towards the end of the season. 

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So can I bring myself to want West Ham to win?  Does them winning the Conference League one another spot?

If they win it they get a Europa League spot but it doesn't affect us at all

• Like 1

I thought we were level on points with Spurs and still thought we'd finish below them. I've just realised they are 3 points above us.

Even if we beat them, they will probably still be above us. Then we go to Anfield. 

We won't finish as high as 7th. It's just too much to ask. 

Think we can hold on to 8th tho.

Edited by GlobalVillan

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I thought we were level on points with Spurs and still thought we'd finish below them. I've just realised they are 3 points above us.

Even if we beat them, they will probably still be above us. Then we go to Anfield. 

We won't finish as high as 7th. It's just too much to ask. 

Think we can hold on to 8th tho.

If we win by 2 goals we go ahead apparently