Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The Everton Brighton game just proves anything could happen. 

The reason the likes of us, spurs and Brighton aren't in the top 4 is that we're all inconsistent.  (Arguably we were under Emery, but even that is looking not to be the case thanks to th3 last 2 games).

No point saying we can't get Europe. We can.  And while we mathematically can, and it doesn't require unthinkable results,  it's worth hoping for. Even if it does require unthinkable results, it could still happen. Did ANYONE think Everton would hammer Brighton? Anyone?!

Already relegated teams have put in displays before now. Pressure off, playing without consequence. So even at that stage things could go our way.

I'm not ruling out 7th. It does require an unexpected result or two, but they can definitely happen.

We just need to right our own wrongs and perform against Spurs and Liverpool, before seeing where we lie on the last day.

Funny thing is, we'll probably lose to Spurs and then smash Liverpool at Anfield 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Funny thing is, we'll probably lose to Spurs and then smash Liverpool at Anfield 🤣

I think we have no chance at Anfield.

Your not only playing against the team itself but also the fans the referee and VAR.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

Your not only playing against the team itself but also the fans the referee and VAR.

1 away win in 16 Everton smashing red hot Brighton at the Amex says othe......

Yeah, VAR.... you're right... we've lost before we even get there 🤣

• Haha 1

Guest av1
11 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Already relegated teams have put in displays before now. Pressure off, playing without consequence. 

I didn’t know Joleon Lescott used VT 😜

14 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The Everton Brighton game just proves anything could happen. 

The reason the likes of us, spurs and Brighton aren't in the top 4 is that we're all inconsistent.  (Arguably we were under Emery, but even that is looking not to be the case thanks to th3 last 2 games).

No point saying we can't get Europe. We can.  And while we mathematically can, and it doesn't require unthinkable results,  it's worth hoping for. Even if it does require unthinkable results, it could still happen. Did ANYONE think Everton would hammer Brighton? Anyone?!

Already relegated teams have put in displays before now. Pressure off, playing without consequence. So even at that stage things could go our way.

I'm not ruling out 7th. It does require an unexpected result or two, but they can definitely happen.

We just need to right our own wrongs and perform against Spurs and Liverpool, before seeing where we lie on the last day.

I agree with what you are saying but I would add that we can’t rule out not only 7th but also 6th.  

Mostly likely 8th for us but for the same reasons as you stated above there is a chance for 7th, there is a chance for 6th.  So many permutations of who finishes in 6th, 7th and 8th between us, Brighton and Spurs and we all have flaws, all have the ability to win a one off game and none are really easily predictable at the moment.

• Like 2

I think excluding the games involving us Brighton are likely to add 3 points from their home game against doomed Southampton to their current points tally, they might get more but that looks as unlikely as Everton beating them did last night. I would expect Spurs to get anything between 1 and 4 points from their two games and I would guess at 3 (we're relying heavily on Brentford & Leeds, if it is to be below 3). Assuming we get nothing at Anfield, that would give us a points deficit of 4 points on Brighton and 6 on Spurs, excluding our home games against them. The pessimist in me says we will do well to get two draws, but if we win both games we could finish above Brighton in 7th and if we can beat Spurs by 3, as we did Newcastle, we could end up 6th. It is ifs and buts, nonetheless......

image.jpeg.0bf1d69128a246ecb7d10d7085328e78.jpeg ;)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

Oh here we go. The same I told you so rubbish that people came out with when we beat Newcastle. 

PM me and I'll bet you whatever amount of money you like that we will not be finishing above Brighton.

They've lost a game. We've lost the last 2 and are behind them with 2 less games to play.

Yes, but those two games are not gimmes and they will only start as favourites against Southampton in their remaining five games. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, av1 said:

I didn’t know Joleon Lescott used VT 😜

I didn't say us...🤣

Although we did draw against Newcastle when we were pretty much guaranteed to be relegated.

8 minutes ago, John said:

Yes, but those two games are not gimmes and they will only start as favourites against Southampton in their remaining five games. 

And we will be probably be favourites in 1. And that's against them so not exactly Southampton.

44 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

I think Villa can go to Liverpool and Win.
We've done it before.

It would be great but @AshVilla has a point.

48 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

FWIW,  Unsettle Anfield and you have half a chance of getting something from the game.

Make the mistake Arsenal made and you're in for a long afternoon. 

50 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I'm with Kev:

image.jpeg.4b335ee38e530efdfb4fdd4f34f9ab16.jpeg

12 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

And we will be probably be favourites in 1. And that's against them so not exactly Southampton.

We are currently 6/5 favourites with Coral against Spurs. Spurs are 21/10. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

yes the Kop is worth a goal start..................always remember the first time I went there expecting this massive swaying loud terrace,  it did sway a bit I give them that.

Being a Holtender that day felt what it must feel like to have an 15 inch penis, knowing that yours is way bigger and better than anything else out there 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, John said:

We are currently 6/5 favourites with Coral against Spurs. Spurs are 21/10. 

Yeah we are at home, people forget that. We should be stronger at home.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

yes the Kop is worth a goal start..................always remember the first time I went there expecting this massive swaying loud terrace,  it did sway a bit I give them that.

Being a Holtender that day felt what it must feel like to have an 15 inch penis, knowing that yours is way bigger and better than anything else out there 

You’re hung… pm… 

• Haha 1

We have looked a bit flat of late, I think partly a result of not being able to rotate.

I am hopeful the players returning from injury can give us a real shot in the arm.

Cash, Carlos, Kamara, Coutinho and Bailey is a quality quintet to have back for a squad like ours and gives us a lot more options from the start and the bench.

33 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The Holte End is "bigger" and much nicer than the Kop...just saying....BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Carrying On, 50 years later

Edited by John

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Pouring over the permutations of results and how they effect table position, rooting for or against other sides in the run up, celebrating unexpected results and regretting missed opportunities seems pretty fundamental to being a fan, cheers.

For the future fixtures you're totally right - it is fun to predict and have some investment in games not involving Villa.

All the Butterfly Effect stuff about things that have been and gone, especially about teams not involving Villa, doesn't seem fun or enjoyable to me.

It may have come across as more of a criticism than I intended - I know there's plenty of fans who derive a lot of enjoyment from moaning about Brighton beating Manchester United and its knock-on effect to us. But I think I just can't get into the stress of that for the run-in, and would rather focus on how we're doing and whether we can qualify ourselves through our own performances and results.

Edited by Powehi