Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

The morning after…

I still think we’ll end up 8th now because we seem to be shy of what we were a few weeks back and small margins make a difference at this level…

but…

last night has thrown it a bit open as I never expected Brighton to lose to Everton and especially in the manner they did.  They have 3 incredibly hard and energy sapping games in the next four games against the big three and they aren’t favourites in any of those and all teams will be fighting for points and it’s four games in ten days.  Three of their last five games are away.  They’ve just lost Solly March who’s been one of their key players.  They looked a bit leggy, like we do so all those games against top teams and travelling…hmmm.  They must be thanking they have Saints in there to get an easier 3 points but even that isn’t a guarantee.

We have to beat Spurs to even have a slight chance but those chances of Europe have increased from just 24 hours ago…and our squad has been refreshed slightly by some important players returned from injury especially Kamara.

All a bit exciting whether you think we have no chance or think we have a great chance because mathematically it’s still possible so there is always a chance…

Edited by nick76
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I don't think we're even ready for CL football next season tbh. Still a good chance for EL and I know the expert in the competition that we have at the helm will be desperate to get us in there.

If we manage to get top 4 in Premier League we are ready. A team that is good enough for top 4, is good enough for CL.

At the moment we lack in squad numbers and player quality, that the last few games have showed.

But trying to say that it’s good that we miss out on CL because we aren’t ready, it just like saying you are glad you missed out on winning the lottery, because you aren’t ready for that much money.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The last minute penalty against United really **** us

No Brighton would still have 3 games in hand to get a point to go over us. Spurs is our European rival not Brighton

Anyway what **** us over was hiring a clearing in the woods for 10/11 games so not getting Europe will be self inflicted

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yep and us not getting penalty against Wolves…3 points with that 2 points and 1 point difference

Edited by nick76

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No Brighton would still have 3 games in hand to get a point to go over us. Spurs is our European rival not Brighton

Anyway what **** us over was hiring a clearing in the woods for 10/11 games so not getting Europe will be self inflicted

I actually think Brighton are more catchable than Spurs. If we beat Brighton they imo will likely get 3 other points with 3 defeats against the top 3.  If we beat Spurs as well, then they have 6 other points that are achievable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

If we manage to get top 4 in Premier League we are ready. A team that is good enough for top 4, is good enough for CL.

At the moment we lack in squad numbers and player quality, that the last few games have showed.

But trying to say that it’s good that we miss out on CL because we aren’t ready, it just like saying you are glad you missed out on winning the lottery, because you aren’t ready for that much money.

Its more that we cant fill a bench as it is so would need sign about 5 quality players then integrate them immediately

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Yes but look at who those games are against? It gives us more of a fighting chance those extra 2 points could  be massive for them now 

As for gerrard yes but as started before if we didnt get gerrard we would unlikely have emery here now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

You said it yourself, we need quality and quantity which entails integration and chemistry. It's too much work to do in 1 transfer window. Our league form will likely suffer in the short to medium term. I think our squad as it is, with a couple of key signings can handle a EL or ECL campaign though.

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I don't think we're even ready for CL football next season tbh. Still a good chance for EL and I know the expert in the competition that we have at the helm will be desperate to get us in there.

Firstly I never expected us to get CL and it would have been incredible.

But in a group of Barca, Feyenoord and Dinamo Zagreb, I'd bet on us finishing 3rd. And that takes us to knockouts of Europa. So it's conceivable we'd do ok. 

43 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Firstly I never expected us to get CL and it would have been incredible.

But in a group of Barca, Feyenoord and Dinamo Zagreb, I'd bet on us finishing 3rd. And that takes us to knockouts of Europa. So it's conceivable we'd do ok. 

I think we’d get 2nd in that group (not with current squad). The fact we’re having these discussions shows how good a job Don Unai has done. Fantastic!

• Like 1

I’d all but given up after the Wolves result - as I thought Brighton would be too consistent and good to catch after they bounced back from the Forest defeat. Then they chuck in a performance like yesterday - with the games they’ve got left to come and I I think 6 points for us vs Spurs and Brighton sees us to 7th place. The dream lives on a little longer. 

Hopefully we get a big performance Saturday with this second opportunity we’ve been granted. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

United in general have wrecked us - by getting beat by Brighton, beating us, and allowing spurs to come back for a draw. A combination of results which helped put us where we are now

its no wonder I hate them 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

United in general have wrecked us - by getting beat by Brighton, beating us, and allowing spurs to come back for a draw. A combination of results which helped put us where we are now

its no wonder I hate them 

Yep Representatives for Wellingborough. They really were there foe taking at OT yet we failed to take the game to them

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

last night has thrown it a bit open as I never expected Brighton to lose to Everton and especially in the manner they did.  They have 3 incredibly hard and energy sapping games in the next four games against the big three and they aren’t favourites in any of those and all teams will be fighting for points and it’s four games in ten days.  Three of their last five games are away.  They’ve just lost Solly March who’s been one of their key players.  They looked a bit leggy, like we do so all those games against top teams and travelling…hmmm.  They must be thanking they have Saints in there to get an easier 3 points but even that isn’t a guarantee.

Still not inconceivable that Southampton aren't yet relegated by the time they play Brighton. They need to beat Fulham themselves on Saturday obviously and then either Forest (away at Chelsea, home to Arsenal) or Everton (home to City, away at...Wolves) to lose both of their upcoming games.

Elsewhere this weekend, it would probably be good (and I mean only for Villa's sake) if Leeds get a result to help make sure they aren't relegated before the last day, while that would also put pressure on Newcastle to win vs Brighton or risk missing out on CL to Liverpool and Utd, who we want to pick up wins at this point. Arsenal beating Brighton on Sunday speaks for itself.

Brentford, meanwhile, might still be battling to finish above Spurs when they meet, assuming - as we practically must for the sake of this topic now - that we can beat the latter on Saturday and the former beat West Ham this weekend.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Losing against Wolves ***** us more. 

We'd be living the dream if not for that  last minute penalty and a win against Wolves.

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Losing against Wolves ***** us more. 

We'd be living the dream if not for that  last minute penalty and a win against Wolves.

Yep fundamentallyits our own fault we had it in our hands. But united havent helped either

6 hours ago, Powehi said:

No disrespect, but that's a really exhausting way to look at football. If we finish 8th, its either because a) we're not quite ready yet or b) we had too much deficit to make up after correcting a poor managerial appointment which also lies at our door.

Constantly expecting every other result to go in our favour after our own failings just seems pointless to me.

Pouring over the permutations of results and how they effect table position, rooting for or against other sides in the run up, celebrating unexpected results and regretting missed opportunities seems pretty fundamental to being a fan, cheers.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Pouring over the permutations of results and how they effect table position, rooting for or against other sides in the run up, celebrating unexpected results and regretting missed opportunities seems pretty fundamental to being a fan, cheers.

Yeah I agree, I thought everybody lived their life like this…😉

Never understood what non-football fans did with their time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1