Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Brighton on the final day we can beat at VP, Its Spurs I worry about now. It will be typical for us all to hype it up before the game and then someone like Son, who has had a very porr season by his high standards, to stick 4 past us like last season. We have to do our bit now. No one saw the brighton result coming so mayebe there is a good chance of Europe now, it all depends on us and if we want it enough. VP has to be on it before kick off!

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I’ve said before, we just need to be within touching distance of Brighton on final day. 

We need to beat Spurs this weekend, Brighton will lose to Arsenal, they will also get beat by Newcastle midweek. We will probably lose to Liverpool, while Brighton will beat Southampton. Brighton will then get beat by Man City. Leaving us on 57 and Brighton on 58, with it all to play for in the final game.

Most likely scenario even a few weeks ago.  A chance for Europe on the last day at VP. 

The heroes write themselves into Villa lore. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I’ve said before, we just need to be within touching distance of Brighton on final day. 

We need to beat Spurs this weekend, Brighton will lose to Arsenal, they will also get beat by Newcastle midweek. We will probably lose to Liverpool, while Brighton will beat Southampton. Brighton will then get beat by Man City. Leaving us on 57 and Brighton on 58, with it all to play for in the final game.

I don’t think it will be that straightforward, I fancy Brighton to get an unexpected result from Arsenal/City/Newcastle but I think we are capable of 4 pts from the next 3 and hopefully get Conference. Either way, still much to play for.

14 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I don’t think it will be that straightforward, I fancy Brighton to get an unexpected result from Arsenal/City/Newcastle but I think we are capable of 4 pts from the next 3 and hopefully get Conference. Either way, still much to play for.

I was too, but not after they shipped 5 at home to Everton 😂

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, duke313 said:

In that scenario it dosen't really matter if Brighton actually do pick up something from one of those away games (I don't think they'll lose to all of Arsenal, Newcastle and Man. City). 1 or 2 points ahead is exactly the same, we simply have to beat them.

They've also got to play Man. City at home on the Wednesday night before the final day while we will have 8 days to prepare. Similar recovery time to playing the FA cup SF and then going to Nottinham 72 hours later and they were really flat in that second half.

I'm strangely confident for that game but we obviously must beat Spurs first and then hope they don't balance out Everton by beating one of the top 4. Of course we'd still have a chance for 7th regardless.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I was too, but not after they shipped 5 at home to Everton 😂

There are always weird results, us losing 4-2 to Leicester looks a complete car crash of a result now given what Leicester are chucking in most weeks but back then it wasn't that huge a shock.

One thing today did show is play back to front quickly and you can open Brighton up down the flanks. I think we'll certainly see Carlos starting and Konsa at RB for that game.

15 minutes ago, picicata said:

I feel dirty saying it but we need Leeds to stay in touching distance so that they have something to play for on the final day against Spurs

Like needing a good strong hurl before feeling better.  

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, picicata said:

I feel dirty saying it but we need Leeds to stay in touching distance so that they have something to play for on the final day against Spurs

Would be helpful. Fortunately due to the other fixtures their rivals have, I think it’s highly likely Leeds will need something from game. Either to remain out of the bottom three or to get out of it.

Less fortunately, I’m less convinced they will actually succeed in getting something from Spurs.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I’m, sure that’s the basis on which Emery will be preparing for these games. Probably throw in a handful of under-18s.

What? 

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Annoying. Really annoying. Teams around us dropping points. We could've really made a move on 4th!

I don't think we're even ready for CL football next season tbh. Still a good chance for EL and I know the expert in the competition that we have at the helm will be desperate to get us in there.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

Yep this is the most likely scenario of us getting europe I reckon. 

I feel like we could end up with the same points as spurs but they might edge it with GD or even Goals scored.