Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Top 6 needs to be the aim next season.

Hopefully we'll have the taste of europe and then the europa league is the next aim.

I think Arsenal will drop a fair bit next season. If Liverpool can drop nearly 30 points through a few of their CMs getting old Arsenal will struggle playing CL and having better cup runs.

People forget what a start they had, think they only drop about 7 points up to start of February so a more mediocre start and we should be in the mix with them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Going to be an interesting final day if Brighton get pumped by City.

Imagine we do a Newcastle on Sunday and are 2/3 up at halftime and playing well. We'd be going all out in the second half, towards the Holte. Could be a day to remember. Unai deserves nothing less.

Why does Brighton losing to Man City have anything to do with our game against them? We need to beat them because teams below can catch us so I'm not sure why it matters what happens in their other game.

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That's why I prefaced that with if City pump Brighton this week. It's a crazy scenario but I've seen crazier final days. Imagine if to secure 6th we'd need to win 6-0 or something. Atmosphere at VP would be absolutely mental if we got off to a fast start like against Newcastle.

You've seen 'crazier' days than a 16 goal swing? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steero113 said:

Liverpool thumping Man. United 7-0 probably more unlikely than us beating Brighton 7 or whatever is needed. Could also argue in their present state Everton going to Brighton and winning 5-1 was probably the biggest shock result of the season.

Not that I think any of it is remotely possible, indeed I think Brighton will get a draw off Man. City to secure 6th and that hopefully will be good for us.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Liverpool thumping Man. United 7-0 probably more unlikely than us beating Brighton 7 or whatever is needed. Could also argue in their present state Everton going to Brighton and winning 5-1 was probably the biggest shock result of the season.

Not that I think any of it is remotely possible, indeed I think Brighton will get a draw off Man. City to secure 6th and that hopefully will be good for us.

Yes I see that these were both freak results, and I can accept that there are mad final days in which crazy things happen. 

When the poster I was replying to said 'pump them', he really meant Man City to beat Brighton, the current 6th placed side, 10-0 this week and then us turn them over 6-0 at VP 🤣

I think we can call that fanciful. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Yes I see that these were both freak results, and I can accept that there are mad final days in which crazy things happen. 

When the poster I was replying to said 'pump them', he really meant Man City to beat Brighton, the current 6th placed side, 10-0 this week and then us turn them over 6-0 at VP 🤣

Are we not playing them though? I.e. we need to win 3 nil in this scenario.

It would need a 6 nil win for man city and a 5 nil win for us.

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Are we not playing them though? I.e. we need to win 3 nil in this scenario.

It would need a 6 nil win for man city and a 5 nil win for us.

Yeah, I'm thick. 

Still retaking GCSE maths. 🤣

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Top 6 needs to be the aim next season.

I think Emery will target top 4. He seems supremely ambitious and full of belief. If Saudicastle can do it, so can we.

42 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Shocker Memes

If I wasn’t going to the game on Sunday I think I’d much rather just ignore what’s going on elsewhere until the final whistle, though I imagine that’s going to impossible in the Holte (or anywhere in the ground for that matter) 

Im so flipping glad it’s in our hands. 

40 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Brentford having a superior goal difference to us is a little worrying to me.

Yup, which is why a win is essential from almost any scenario.

Even if we get a point and Brentford win they leapfrog us ffs.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Similar scenario here, hence why I was hesitant to make a confident rebuttal as my math wasn't mathin....😂

Sometimes I just speak without actually... you know... thinking. 

• Haha 1

I'm pretty chilled about it either way in all honesty. Obviously we all know the challenges if we do get Europe with the squad stretching (See Wolves & West Ham) but I see it as we have to do that sometime if we are serious about moving into the Europa or even the (not so) Champions League.

On the other hand I was speaking to a Spurs fan last night & we were discussing the difference between the European comps. He rightly said that in some ways it's easier to get the Champions League places when you don't have the overload of games which the other comps give you. (Think it may have been his way of coping with their worse than expected season however)

So it's a straight shoot out between Us, Spurs & Brentford. I have a horrid feeling Spurs will win as Leeds looked shot to me in their last game. So i think we have to win if we are to get Europe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steero113 said:

In my scenario is actually a 10 goal swing. You guys are missing the fact that I mentioned they play the champions before us. They literally lost 5-1 to relegation candidate barely a week ago. It's unlikely, but it's not out of this world. Besides, I'm just dreaming anyway. Don't expect any of this to happen.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

In my scenario is actually a 10 goal swing. You guys are missing the fact that I mentioned they play the champions before us. They literally lost 5-1 to relegation candidate barely a week ago. It's unlikely, but it's not out of this world. Besides, I'm just dreaming anyway. Don't expect any of this to happen.

9-0 versus City and 4-0 versus us is what would be needed.  It's not going to happen, but there has already been a 9-0 this season, and we have won 4-0 this season also. 

Ted Lasso Afc Richmond GIF - Ted Lasso AFC Richmond Believe - Discover ...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

9-0 versus City and 4-0 versus us is what would be needed.  It's not going to happen, but there has already been a 9-0 this season, and we have won 4-0 this season also. 

Ted Lasso Afc Richmond GIF - Ted Lasso AFC Richmond Believe - Discover ...

6-0 and 6-0 is actually enough. While 5 from either game would equal their goal difference, they've scored way more goals than us. Pie in the sky stuff. I think they'll draw with City anyway.