Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Basically our current form under Emery with only Moreno bought 

Yea. But I can't see Chelsea, Spurs (will rebuild when Kane goes) having equally bad seasons next year.  This year was an opportunity for teams with top 10 ambitions to sneak a way into Europe and we're largely doing that (nearly there!).  But I think the league will change to more familiar terms next year (albeit I hope not!).

We're different with Emery for sure, we need to maintain this now and push on, hopefully we can do that! 

But, from experience, it's rarely how it happens 😔

Going to be an interesting final day if Brighton get pumped by City.

Imagine we do a Newcastle on Sunday and are 2/3 up at halftime and playing well. We'd be going all out in the second half, towards the Holte. Could be a day to remember. Unai deserves nothing less.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Yea. But I can't see Chelsea, Spurs (will rebuild when Kane goes) having equally bad seasons next year.  This year was an opportunity for teams with top 10 ambitions to sneak a way into Europe and we're largely doing that (nearly there!).  But I think the league will change to more familiar terms next year (albeit I hope not!).

We're different with Emery for sure, we need to maintain this now and push on, hopefully we can do that! 

If Kane leaves there's no reason Spurs will improve. Could slump further. Chelsea were supposed to turn things around before we beat them and I'm still waiting

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

If we don't beat Brighton we won't get 7th. Brentford playing a City C team with their focus on Champions League and FA Cup finals.

One of Spurs or Brentford will win. I still think we'll fall short 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

We will finish above both Chelsea and Spurs next season. Liverpool need a rebuild. Man U and Newcastle aren’t that good, we’ve beaten both this season. We have nearly 2 ppg under Emery, that’s top 4 form.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Imagine we do a Newcastle on Sunday and are 2/3 up at halftime and playing well. We'd be going all out in the second half, towards the Holte. Could be a day to remember. Unai deserves nothing less.

Mate we ain't swinging a 16 goal difference. Lol

Come on

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I expect nothing less from Captain Positive

Any hope I have in sporting happiness was destroyed in Aviva Stadium in Dublin on Saturday. 

I only believe in pain and disappointment. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate we ain't swinging a 16 goal difference. Lol

Come on

That's why I prefaced that with if City pump Brighton this week. It's a crazy scenario but I've seen crazier final days. Imagine if to secure 6th we'd need to win 6-0 or something. Atmosphere at VP would be absolutely mental if we got off to a fast start like against Newcastle.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Any hope I have in sporting happiness was destroyed in Aviva Stadium in Dublin on Saturday. 

' tis the punishment you deserve for the blasphemous behaviour of watching egg-chasers......come back to the true faith before tis too late to save your soul'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Brighton are not going to get pumped by Man City to anywhere near the goals some are suggesting.

We are not going to hammer Brighton by the remaining goals that would be needed by that fantasy scenario people are hoping for.

We might win, but 7th is our best we can get.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I never made it to Aviva stadium. Only Lansdowne a few times

13 minutes ago, Stephen_Evans said:

It may or may not go our way.  But having European qualification in our own hands on the last day of the season is an extraordinary success seen in its proper context.

A few short years ago we might have been looking at third tier and financial meltdown.  We have to be positive.

Three years ago we had the league cup final with Engels and Samatta starting. Just an incredible turnaround since Deano got us back up.  

23 minutes ago, Dillon66 said:

' tis the punishment you deserve for the blasphemous behaviour of watching egg-chasers......come back to the true faith before tis too late to save your soul'

This except the true faith is played in Croke Park.

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

If we don't beat Brighton we won't get 7th. Brentford playing a City C team with their focus on Champions League and FA Cup finals.

One of Spurs or Brentford will win. I still think we'll fall short 

I don’t necessarily think we’ll fall short but I agree a win is essential.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, R.Bear said:

We haven't won a trophy for 27 years. With the domestic cups, you have to go through Man City or one or more of the other top clubs. West Ham, despite being dogshit this season in the league, are one game away from a European trophy.

What does "concentrating on the league" get us? 7th? 6th? Big deal. We've finished there loads of times. I'd take a trophy if we finished 15th.

Dont think it counts as a major trophy though or does it?  Like does winning that bring us to 21 major trophies from the current 20 

Edited by RicRic