Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brighton will be shattered come Sunday plus most likely will have nothing to play for. We really should be winning comfortably and I have no doubt that we will.  

Really hope you're right but I think they'll be wanting to get one over us. Beat them at their place this season and did the double over them last. Hopefully we can just blow them away though.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It's coefficient isn't it? That means it's not "up for grabs".

It's top 4 if we want CL football.

Sure I have read that it's likely Premier League will get an extra Champions League place next season since the Man City and West Ham have fared well in Europe this season? This is for the new format which begins 24/25. 

4 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It's coefficient isn't it? That means it's not "up for grabs".

It's top 4 if we want CL football.

It's a league coefficient based on the previous year in Europe. It probably will be 5 places and it will be known in advance.

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

It's a league coefficient based on the previous year in Europe. It probably will be 5 places and it will be known in advance.

Well if that's the case then we should certainly be looking to achiever that within the next 3 years or so. Its certainly doable.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Really hope you're right but I think they'll be wanting to get one over us. Beat them at their place this season and did the double over them last. Hopefully we can just blow them away though.

They won't be easy regardless, but in fairness getting beat regularly by a certain team doesn't necessarily make it easier to break that curse. See: us and West Ham/Brentford.

9 hours ago, delboy54 said:

As a very aged supporter (65 next month!) of the Villa, having seen a few "ups" but more "downs" over the 55 years I have been able to see them play. I am still not counting my chickens until the final whistle next week.

It concerns me that many are assuming that we will win as Brighton will be on the beach (well it is literally all the time I suppose!). We still have to win and Brighton are a good team. I will not be able to look forward to any European adventures until we are at least 4 nil up with 1 minute to play....

All this talk of where the final is going to be etc I know is just banter but it could all come back and bite us in the arse....it would be the typical "Villa way"...I have seen it so many times..... 1 nil up and they equalise in the last minute of the game...........and we lose out due to results elsewhere.

Am I alone in thinking that its not going to be an easy game against Brighton?.......

VTID

You're absolutely right mate, hopefully we get the job done.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Well i think they will play the strongee side against city as thats a home game out of the two

Is march back Sunday anyone know?

Yeah - a point against City (who may or may not be on the beach) or even a narrow lose confirms everything.  Why risk getting an absolute hammering off City that might suddenly open a door that should be firmly closed?  It's unlikely that City will win by 7 or 8 but they are the kind of team that could do that if you give them the chance.  And if City are on the beach then you'd like to be able to get the 3 points just to keep the pressure on Liverpool.

23 hours ago, RicRic said:

Before today but especially now after De Zerbi’s comments this afternoon im really not that keen on the conference league it may not be worth the distraction from the league, besides at least the europa would be worth it but thats just my opinion so please don't come for my head. 

Ask any West Ham fan how they feel about the Europa Conference....

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Ask any West Ham fan how they feel about the Europa Conference....

I want the ECL. But the other argument is look at Newcastle, no distractions and are now going to finish 3rd.

On 21/05/2023 at 22:08, RicRic said:

Before today but especially now after De Zerbi’s comments this afternoon im really not that keen on the conference league it may not be worth the distraction from the league, besides at least the europa would be worth it but thats just my opinion so please don't come for my head. 

We haven't won a trophy for 27 years. With the domestic cups, you have to go through Man City or one or more of the other top clubs. West Ham, despite being dogshit this season in the league, are one game away from a European trophy.

What does "concentrating on the league" get us? 7th? 6th? Big deal. We've finished there loads of times. I'd take a trophy if we finished 15th.

• Like 2

Just now, R.Bear said:

We haven't won a trophy for 27 years. With the domestic cups, you have to go through Man City or one or more of the other top clubs. West Ham, despite being dogshit this season in the league, are one game away from a European trophy.

What does "concentrating on the league" get us? 7th? 6th? Big deal. We've finished there loads of times. I'd take a trophy if we finished 15th.

3rd? 4th? 5th?

9 hours ago, R.Bear said:

Besides winning it gets you into Europa, equivalent of finishing 5th - maybe 7th next season.

• Like 1

If Spurs draw and we lose by 1 goal then the Kane penalty is what gives them 7th. 

I'm worried about Brighton even though they have 6th already closed. A draw and Spurs win over Leeds is a big possibility.

I just hope we are as up for this and play to level like we did against Newcastle