Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

49 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Most Villa fans undoubtedly want Europe, be it the Conference or whatever.

However, other than a relatively minor increase in income, I wonder how important it is for the club and prospective signings. When we're trying to sell Aston Villa to players in the summer, it will be about the big picture and hopes to challenge for Champions League... would Conference League football attract players any more than not being in it?

But obviously, as a fan, we all want to see European nights back at Villa Park. Sunday should be an electric atmosphere.

I think the potential for European trophy, even if the least significant one, is still a good draw. It allows us to play more players overall which helps recruitment. And it’s a stepping stone into Europa as I don’t think it’ll be any easier to break top 6 next season either. 

• Like 2

We can get the FA Youth Cup winning team back together to play in Europe, Chrisene, Kesler, Bogarde, Barry, Aaron Ramsey, Tommi O'Reilly, plus add the likes of Archer, Philogene, Iroegbunam, Feeney, Kadan Young, and Kellyman, with some senior players like Buendia and Bailey to help them out 😍.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

We can get the FA Youth Cup winning team back together to play in Europe, Chrisene, Kesler, Bogarde, Barry, Aaron Ramsey, Tommi O'Reilly, plus add the likes of Archer, Philogene, Iroegbunam, Feeney, Kadan Young, and Kellyman, with some senior players like Buendia and Bailey to help them out 😍.

Keep Ashley Young about for another season. Imagine club captain Young lifting the Europa Conference.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Keep Ashley Young about for another season. Imagine club captain Young lifting the Europa Conference.

Ash can realistically play so many positions, he's genuinely worth keeping around.

Not even just for sentiment.

• Like 2

On 15/05/2023 at 22:19, troon_villan said:

Not impossible but extremely unlikely we play any part in Europe now. 

Brighton will wrap up 6th and deservedly so and I just cant see us bettering Spurs and the PL officials results.

Amazing what a week can do for a negative Nancy. Supremely confident that we'll do the biz against Brighton and play Conference now!

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I want trophies. This is another potential one and one that is far easier to win than say the FA cup 

Shit that's actually a fair point. To win the FA cup you probably need to beat at least a couple of teams that have the type of squad that can get you a CL final. That's clearly not the case with the Conference.

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m all in for the Conference League. If we don’t make it now, given the run we’ve been on, I’m going to be gutted, especially considering how poor Spurs have been and how much their own fans hate them. 

Like others have said, I don’t think we can trust Leeds to get a result against Spurs. They’re a god awful side and I’d back Kane to get a couple against them given his form. We’re going to have to go and beat Brighton at VP which we will if we play like we did against Spurs, Liverpool, Newcastle and United at home to name but a few. 

Can’t believe now nervous I am. Especially having found out the Athens flight is non-refundable. 

You’ll have a good time regardless, just avoid the tourist traps near the acropolis.

41 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m all in for the Conference League. If we don’t make it now, given the run we’ve been on, I’m going to be gutted, especially considering how poor Spurs have been and how much their own fans hate them. 

Like others have said, I don’t think we can trust Leeds to get a result against Spurs. They’re a god awful side and I’d back Kane to get a couple against them given his form. We’re going to have to go and beat Brighton at VP which we will if we play like we did against Spurs, Liverpool, Newcastle and United at home to name but a few. 

Can’t believe now nervous I am. Especially having found out the Athens flight is non-refundable. 

I know this might not sit well with those who prefer the better cup (Europa League), but I'm rooting for you guys to go to Conference, I think it could be pretty winnable. That is, at least an even chance, no boogeyman on paper to start with. And Emery has already proved with Sevilla that he knows how to handle the second tier of european clubs. 

And even if there's no title, it should be a thing to aspire every year, to get into Europe. Prolonged exposure to european competition will promote culture changes, objectives to actually become a thing. It'll breed popularity, local, national, and international. Being a more recognised name will also attract more fans and players to come to your club.

Here's hoping you guys make it this year. 🍀

• Like 4

Before today but especially now after De Zerbi’s comments this afternoon im really not that keen on the conference league it may not be worth the distraction from the league, besides at least the europa would be worth it but thats just my opinion so please don't come for my head. 

2 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Before today but especially now after De Zerbi’s comments this afternoon im really not that keen on the conference league it may not be worth the distraction from the league, besides at least the europa would be worth it but thats just my opinion so please don't come for my head. 

It's no real distraction, not as many games as with the real Europa League cup, this is why it's better for next season, get us warmed up for the big one.

Conference League isn’t a great standard but I will take it. Should be guaranteed sell outs for every home game with having 30k plus on the waiting list, no excuses. Should also get bumped up the queue if you attend these games imo. 

Edited by WHY