Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Just now, duke313 said:

While the Europa League might be somewhat off the CL, it’s is a good bit more prestigious than the Conference. The UEFA Cup was started over 50 years ago.

A bit but not a lot. It's definitely got 'League Cup' vibes IMO - though I'd be delighted if we won the league cup anyway tbf. 

Conference is fine for us - it'd be a good way to ease us into playing more games too. 

• Like 2

Just now, lexicon said:

A bit but not a lot. It's definitely got 'League Cup' vibes IMO - though I'd be delighted if we won the league cup anyway tbf. 

Conference is fine for us - it'd be a good way to ease us into playing more games too. 

I’d be happy with conference, but it’s nowhere the level of the EL. Leaving history aside. EL had Barca, Juve and United in it.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Also we are assuming they will be at the beach, they may feel free of the pressure and want to finish the season well and teams with nothing to play for could just be as hard as being easy.  We need to leave all options open so Southampton win please.

I don’t think de zerbi allows that mentality, he’ll want to win 

• Like 2

Just now, AshVilla said:

I wonder if Brighton will rest their entire starting eleven against city now 6th is done and dusted just so they can play us at full strength.

If they do that then they can get heavily fined as its against the rules

Fine with it, if the results don't turn (which looks unlikely). First part of the season was truly awful so it's hard to say we deserve more.

This allows Villa to expand the squad, get some continental experience, and put us in a good position to win a competition.

• Like 1

Not too bothered about 6th now being out of reach - gives Brighton less to play for against us (unless City smash them 10-0) and Conference League gives us the chance to play some more obscure European teams. Also we'd actually stand a real chance of winning the Conference League whereas the Europa would be much much tougher.

Edited by Mantis

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I wonder if Brighton will rest their entire starting eleven against city now 6th is done and dusted just so they can play us at full strength.

Why would they do this? Isn't their last home game against City?

Surely the supporters will want to see their 1st team for the last home game.

Their game against us will be dead rubber to them. More likely they will blood some youngsters for that match.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I’d be happy with conference, but it’s nowhere the level of the EL. Leaving history aside. EL had Barca, Juve and United in it.

Well it is, you literally finish one place lower in the league and you're in it. 😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

West Ham have had a terrible league season and will qualify for the Europa league next season if they win the conference. There’s lots of benefits for us being in the conference 

If anything, it might be easier to qualify for Europa through Conference than in the league.

That said, think we are aiming, perhaps, a bit higher than just Europa next season.

• Like 1

It's been between us and Spurs for 7th since the Wolves loss. Those 3 points dropped were when we lost any real chance of 6th.

Brighton are just too good and had so many games in hand it was always very unlikely we were going to catch them. 

Expecting already relegated Southampton to do anything against them today was fantasy.

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1

We just can't be complacent against a relaxed and fluid Brighton next week. I don't believe Unai will let that happen, but Brighton are a tough team - we just have to care of business.

Edited by TheAuthority

6 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Well it is, you literally finish one place lower in the league and you're in it. 😂

Good logic. You literally finish in Europa League in 5th one place below the CL. 

Edited by duke313

6 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

It's been between us and Spurs for 7th since the Wolves loss. Those 3 points dropped were when we lost any real chance of 6th.

Brighton are just too good and had so many games in hand it was always very unlikely we were going to catch them. 

Expecting already relegated Southampton to do anything against them today was fantasy.

Even a point and it’s likely that we can take it to next week to come 6th. Such a damaging loss. 

• Like 1