Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Do people think Spurs will beat Leeds possibly needing a result for PL survival? I don't

They might not. If we lose and spurs draw we miss out. All we need to do is equal or better spurs result then we finish above them

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

I hope West Ham lose, and we become the first English team to win the conference league. Also do that they don't add to their paltry tally of three (3) major trophies in their whole history.

Yeah but they did win the 1966 World Cup didn’t they? And Trevor Brooking’s ‘my old club’ trophy, and the Geoff Hurst’s team shield?

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Yes, but not directly into the group stage. You entered in the second qualifying round.

Then traditionally you lose to an Austrian team and don't qualify, I think that's how it works.

• Like 2

Positives and negatives of Brighton beat Southampton. If they do they're guaranteed to be in Europa Le next season and have nothing to play for at Villa Park next weekend. If they don't win 6th can be on for us next Sunday 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, grobs said:

Think Leeds winning today would be good for us. 

Probably yes. If Leeds do win today they’ll be one point ahead of Everton going into the last game, who have Bournemouth at home so that would be a presumed win meaning Leeds still need to beat Tottenham to be safe.

If the Leeds don’t win today and Everton are up at half time next Sunday then Leeds might give up.

And that’s not even factoring in Leicester, though they have tougher games on paper.

Edited by fightoffyour

26 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Positives and negatives of Brighton beat Southampton. If they do they're guaranteed to be in Europa Le next season and have nothing to play for at Villa Park next weekend. If they don't win 6th can be on for us next Sunday 

What’s the preferred choice? It’s like the end of a game show, take the prizes you’ve won, or answer one more question and win everything.

Do we hope Brighton win, meaning a relatively easy game, settling for 7th? Or hope Brighton lose (also lose to City) and face a more determined Brighton, with a win getting us 6th but a loss possibly getting us 8th.

Edited by duke313

15 hours ago, Rolta said:

It didn't work well for West Ham this season! I'm not saying we'd be that shit, but it's arguable that it it be a bit of a shame if our league form suffered just to play in the Conference.

I'd think more of it if there wasn't a group stage.

People keep saying this but how come West Ham finished 7th last season despite getting to SF of Europa league? They had to beat the likes of Sevilla and Lyon aswell so that was far higher quality opposition than what they've faced in europe this season.

The main reason imo West Ham have been so poor is their summer signings of Aguerd, Emerson Palmeri, Lucas Pacqueta, Scamecca and Cornet have either been injured or just not adapted quickly enough to the premier league. Their form in league has picked up with Moyes going back to the old guard of Antonio, Cresswell, Coufal etc.

If we make europe we'll be adding 4-5 no problem to this present squad so bar a terrible injury crisis I don't believe we'd be that stretched for players.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

What’s the preferred choice? It’s like the end of a game show, take the prizes you’ve won, or answer one more question and win everything.

Do we hope Brighton win, meaning a relatively easy game, getting us 7th? Or hope Brighton lose (also lose to City) and face a more determined Brighton, with a win getting us 6th but a loss possibly getting us 8th.

As long as it's still possible to get 6th, then that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Do people think Spurs will beat Leeds possibly needing a result for PL survival? I don't

Big Sam will eat Ryan Mason for breakfast. The only issue is Kane can’t stop scoring, but Spurs can’t stop conceding either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Do we hope Brighton win, meaning a relatively easy game, settling for 7th? Or hope Brighton lose (also lose to City) and face a more determined Brighton, with a win getting us 6th but a loss possibly getting us 8th.

look-at-what-you-could-have-won-win.gif

Let's not rule Brentford out - if us and Spurs drop points and Brentford beat a weak(er) and unmotivated Man City then they'll take 7th.

think I want Brighton to win today so they're on the beach when they play us next Sunday

Just now, StewieGriffin said:

Let's not rule Brentford out - if us and Spurs drop points and Brentford beat a weak(er) and unmotivated Man City then they'll take 7th.

think I want Brighton to win today so they're on the beach when they play us next Sunday

I understand the logic but personally I want a Southampton win today. Our home form is excellent and we have enough to beat them and snatch a spot in the Europa. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I understand the logic but personally I want a Southampton win today. Our home form is excellent and we have enough to beat them and snatch a spot in the Europa. 

Higher risk, but better reward.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Pep doesn't do weakened sides.