Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

No europe next season will benefit us in the long run, just look at Newcastle this season. We can make a real push for CL next season with a few ley signings.

But we ARE gonna be in Europe and suggesting otherwise is just being negative and pessimistic etc etc...

11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

But if we didn't have the shit start under Gerrard, we wouldn't have sacked him when we did, and wouldn't have Emery when we did (or maybe even at all). And we wouldn't even be in the position we are now. 

Yeah that’s fine.

If the aspiration was to get into Europe, those seven games had more of an impact than the Wolves game.

Especially the disparity in the points gained in the reverse fixtures. Against Wolves at home, under Emery, we just about managed a point so a defeat away isn’t as glaring a difference as the results listed previously.

If we find ourselves missing out, I know where I’m assigning the blame.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah that’s fine.

If the aspiration was to get into Europe, those seven games had more of an impact than the Wolves game.

Especially the disparity in the points gained in the reverse fixtures. Against Wolves at home, under Emery, we just about managed a point so a defeat away isn’t as glaring a difference as the results listed previously.

The problem is we gave Gerrard two more months to wreak havoc.

We should've sacked him after West Ham. We'd start that season losing to them, Palace and Bournemouth in our first four scoring four goals so all the warning signs were there in August.

Perhaps Emery wouldn't have come that early in the season but we'd have won games like Leeds away comfortably with him in charge.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John said:

I don't think many of us were expecting Brighton to pick up three points last night, I know Arteta wasn't.

It's now going to be a shoot out between Spurs and ourselves for a Conference League place. We both have two tough games left, we are the form side, but they have the advantage with goal difference, following that penalty. In our case, Liverpool will be up for it, as they still have an outside chance of stealing a CL spot. Spurs are at home to Brentford and I don't think that's quite the gimme it would have looked until recently. On the last day, they are at Leeds, who will be fighting for their survival and we will be looking for yet another home win and hoping that Brighton haven't anything left to play for, and won't mind too much, if we do the double over them. I suspect this will go to the last day and I wouldn't want to bet against us.  

Brentford know a win at Spurs gets them on 54 points and a better GD than Spurs. Draw at home with City and Spurs lose away to Leeds (very realistic if Spurs have lost to Brentford in tottenham) and Brentford end above Spurs. If we lose to Liverpool and Brighton then Brentford are 7th. 

So Brentford have something to play for. There are 2 games left and a win at Spurs means they have a chance of Europe on last day

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Brentford know a win at Spurs gets them on 54 points and a better GD than Spurs. Draw at home with City and Spurs lose away to Leeds (very realistic if Spurs have lost to Brentford in tottenham) and Brentford end above Spurs. If we lose to Liverpool and Brighton then Brentford are 7th. 

So Brentford have something to play for. There are 2 games left and a win at Spurs means they have a chance of Europe on last day

Yeah Brentford are not out of it yet, plus they will probably be playing a Man City team that have already won the league and with eyes on a possible Champions League final. As we know, Brentford are no mugs at home so will be in their interests to beat Spurs 

1 hour ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah that’s fine.

Even the most ardent Gerrard supported on here had enough 2 or 3 games before we sacked him, with Emery that's 4 to 6 points. Which would have been enough. 

• Like 2

Wherever we finish we will be stronger next season. If we get into Europe, great its a bonus but if we don't it's still great because we have the right man to take is to the next level 

1 hour ago, RichW said:

Yeah Brentford are not out of it yet, plus they will probably be playing a Man City team that have already won the league and with eyes on a possible Champions League final. As we know, Brentford are no mugs at home so will be in their interests to beat Spurs 

Champions League and FA Cup finals 

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Champions League and FA Cup finals 

No idea why I forgot the FA Cup final. Positive I guess this weekend is the Spurs v Brentford game is a 12.30 kick off so the result will be known before kick off. 

Brentford forum is confident they will get a result against both Spurs and City, and we lose to Liverpool would mean if both us and Spurs only pick up 1 point in last game, Brentford would leapfrog both us and SPurs on goal difference.

Not an impossible scenario.

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Brentford forum is confident they will get a result against both Spurs and City, and we lose to Liverpool would mean if both us and Spurs only pick up 1 point in last game, Brentford would leapfrog both us and SPurs on goal difference.

The fact Brentford are still even in contention at this stage is nuts.

Toney should have been banned weeks ago.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Remember when us on this forum used to be that delusional but ours was Top 4 and theirs now is Top 7.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Remember when us on this forum used to be that delusional but ours was Top 4 and theirs now is Top 7.

I don't think Brentford are being delusional at all, they can quite realistically beat Spurs and a Man City team who'll already have won the league and be resting players for a possible CL final and FA Cup final.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I don't think Brentford are being delusional at all, they can quite realistically beat Spurs and a Man City team who'll already have won the league and be resting players for a possible CL final and FA Cup final.

I think it’s delusional…even City’s second team are one of the best in the league and will be playing without any pressure and arguably some will be playing hard to get picked for the CL and FA cup final, the likes of Foden, Alvarez, Silva to just now a few of many.  Brentford aren’t winning both games imo and both us and Spurs only get 1 point.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

The fact Brentford are still even in contention at this stage is nuts.

Toney should have been banned weeks ago.

This is what sickens me,. he should be serving a big ban but you can guarantee the w@*ker in the waistcoat has told the FA not to punish him.... 

Come back to Villa park and do your pathetic  lulu sign you c@ck womble. 

Uni will have a gameplan, but its going to be a lot tougher than Spurzz, need a strong Ref....Lets hope it is not Stuart Atwell! 

Edited by calcifer
Spelling

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Sad to think it took VAR to potentially help Spurs finish 8th. Imagine if they actually didn’t screw Brighton over. 

Whats bizarre is demot Gallagher is saying it was a definite penalty.

Are we being biased or something? As that looked the most blatent cheating to get a pen from someone notorious for it

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Whats bizarre is demot Gallagher is saying it was a definite penalty.

Are we being biased or something? As that looked the most blatent cheating to get a pen from someone notorious for it

Yeah but that ref watch just shows that the ref’s are out of step.  Even today the footballers and the question of many decisions were like fans yet Dermot backs almost all of the decisions give or take except the punch incident.  There are problems with the rules like handball, penalties and offsides but then we also have major problem with the refs themselves and VAR.