Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Were going to need to win our last 2 games and hope Spurs shit the bed in at least one of their fixtures to get europe imo.

The other alternatives would be if Brighton fail to win any of their remaining games or Spurs fail to win either of their remaining games and then one win would be enough.

Unlikely but possible.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, av1 said:

As unlikey as it may be, a result for Leicester this evening all but ends Liverpool’s hopes of a top 4 place. Tonights result could have a big impact on our trip to Anfield. 

Cannot see Leicester getting anything tonight. Think Leicester will start the game well but like Everton yesterday,  once they concede they will fall apart. Hope I'm wrong though. 

I was very impressed with Brightons performance against Arsenal......we will do well to see off their challenge.

Physicality and intensity was well on show, something Arsenal couldn't match.

If John McGinn can reach his levels of physicality against Liverpool, like he did with Newcastle and Spurs.....we are in with a shout.

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

I was very impressed with Brightons performance against Arsenal......we will do well to see off their challenge.

Physicality and intensity was well on show, something Arsenal couldn't match.

If John McGinn can reach his levels of physicality against Liverpool, like he did with Newcastle and Spurs.....we are in with a shout.

I'm hoping they'll be out of steam by the time they play us, and already have secured Europe.

9 minutes ago, RichW said:

Cannot see Leicester getting anything tonight. Think Leicester will start the game well but like Everton yesterday,  once they concede they will fall apart. Hope I'm wrong though. 

Oh nor can I mate, I’d be massively surprised if Leicester got anything out of the game. It’s one to watch though, if they did pull off a miracle it would help us massively. 

1 hour ago, av1 said:

As unlikey as it may be, a result for Leicester this evening all but ends Liverpool’s hopes of a top 4 place. Tonights result could have a big impact on our trip to Anfield. 

Can't see it that way. Even if Liverpool lose tonight, they'll still be 4 points behind Man Utd come Saturday with their game kicking off at the same time. No way do Liverpool just throw in the towel against us.

Plus Newcastle could easily fail to beat Brighton on Thursday and they've got two potentially tricky fixtures after (if Leicester can get a result against Liverpool then why not Newcastle? And Chelsea do still have a couple of billion pound teams.)

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Oh nor can I mate, I’d be massively surprised if Leicester got anything out of the game. It’s one to watch though, if they did pull off a miracle it would help us massively. 

I was massively surprised that Everton got anything at Brighton, and that Brighton got anything at Arsenal. Results like those are why the PL is the best league in the world, anyone can beat anyone on their day.

The odds are against Leicester though, Liverpool are re-surgent, then there is the ref and VAR to overcome 🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

It was all in our hands. Lose to wolves and now it's not. That was a sad game.

I think you are right....that was the game.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

In the first 11 games of the season -

Bournemouth, Palace, West Ham, Chelsea, Fulham, Forest and 10 man Leeds.

Two points from that lot. Two ****ing points.

When we played the reverse fixtures we picked up 19 points. 

I don’t care if people want to point to Wolves or Man Utd, or losing three games to Citeh, Arsenal and Leicester. The vast majority of the damage was done by 20th October.

But we got ourselves into a position where it was in our hands, all we had to do was match Spurs results, we failed to do that when Wolves beat us.

Just now, duke313 said:

But we got ourselves into a position where it was in our hands, all we had to do was match Spurs results, we failed to do that when Wolves beat us.

We don’t have that shocking start, we can then afford to slip up once or twice. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

We don’t have that shocking start, we can then afford to slip up once or twice. 

But if we didn't have the shit start under Gerrard, we wouldn't have sacked him when we did, and wouldn't have Emery when we did (or maybe even at all). And we wouldn't even be in the position we are now. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

In the first 11 games of the season -

Bournemouth, Palace, West Ham, Chelsea, Fulham, Forest and 10 man Leeds.

Two points from that lot. Two ****ing points.

When we played the reverse fixtures we picked up 19 points. 

I don’t care if people want to point to Wolves or Man Utd, or losing three games to Citeh, Arsenal and Leicester. The vast majority of the damage was done by 20th October.

Yes, sure. But we still came back and had a chance. We still do, but it's slimmish.