Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yes it shows a lot of them dont have the fight or mental ability to handle the pressure something we have struggled with for years.

My biggest concern is in both derbies we have shown a lack of passion. What i would do for a mellberg grealish or even **** gabby ( a cretin but fir the derbies he put his all in)

Demi a few weeks ago "let's not overact and start slagging the squad off if we don't make europe".........😂

Think in the unlikely event any of the defenders would be reading that they'd be entitled to say what more do you want us to do given we've conceded 4 goals in 12 premier league games which is significantly less than likes of Arsenal and Liverpool.

We just need much more in final third like the teams who will finish a few points above have do.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KMitch said:

8th-9th is still an amazing turn around from Slippy G's mess.  I'm still over the moon with Emery's start so far.  

Yeah, I had a finish of 8-9th in my head a few weeks back. Our good run went on longer than expected, and hopes were raised. Realistically, looking at where we were in Dec-Jan then it’s a decent finish to the season. I just hope we don’t finish with a poor run and ruin the feel good factor. 

I think we need to buy 2-3 top quality additions up front to push us on and make us truely competitive for the euro spots. A top quality wide forward and lethal striker to bury that Watkins header and we win today.

2 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Knew it, the fking poxy wolves illegitimates. Be worried about falling to 9th now

Don’t think you have to be ‘worried’ about finishing 9th. It would be disappointing after the past couple of months, but about 6/7 months ago I was expecting us to finish 19th… so… 9th is still a good finish to this season overall. 

• Like 1

Back to the players being not up to much again then. Oh well, nice while it lasted.

I’m sure there was no pressure on them whatsoever when they were up against Newcastle a few weeks ago. It was basically being billed as a pre season friendly on here.

• Like 3

Can't fault the effort and the achievement. But manure **** it up Vs spuds and Brighton; wolves losing 6-0, and only for both manure and dog heads beating us one nil leaves a proper bitter taste.

This is the first time commenting on this thread knowing my luck I would jinx it, but i think now is ok for it

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Win next week and we're level with Spurs with hardly anything in the goal difference.

Leeds only lost 2-1 away to Man. City so Spurs winning away to Leeds on final day isn't a done deal at all and I think Brentford will be tricky for them to beat aswell.

They draw their final two games and we're in europe with two home wins.

Problem is we’ve got to go to Anfield whilst Spurs have got a home game against Brentford (who probably be on the beach by then?) so good chance already 3 points behind going into the last day. Gonna be very tough now. 

33 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Yes it is..no chance now. We will lose to Liverpool and Brighton. It's over.

Thankyou future man. I'll miss those games then. Any specifics on the scores?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Thankyou future man. I'll miss those games then. Any specifics on the scores?

Hilarious. Prepare to be disappointed. That's just being relaistic.

We were massively overachieving a few weeks ago, unfortunately there are big holes in our squad and whilst Unai has done a good job to cover them over with a good tactical structure and good  individual game plans, when we have such an unreliable selection of creative players its bound to catch up with this us eventually. Buendia was excellent in the first half today and came close to making something happen for us but then faded out of the game in the second half and there's no one else in that scenario to step up creatively and we're then out of ideas - Traore and Bailey certainly aren't the answers unless the question is "who can give the ball away to the opposition the most". Probably a case of now of just limping over the line this season, hopefully we have a big transfer window and then hit the ground running for next season.

Edited by david-avfc
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Hilarious. Prepare to be disappointed. That's just being relaistic.

As realistic as us winning 5 in a row and going 10 unbeaten.

We beat Spurs next week we are level on points with two games remaining.

Well fun while it lasted! The positive is we will have a full season with no extra European games before we qualifying for the champions league 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RichW said:

Problem is we’ve got to go to Anfield whilst Spurs have got a home game against Brentford (who probably be on the beach by then?) so good chance already 3 points behind going into the last day. Gonna be very tough now. 

I think Brentford will be tricky for Spurs if they don't get an early goal. Knowing FA they'll probably suddenly remember Toney should be banned by now and do it on the morning of the game but they have the tools back to front to sit in v Spurs and create chances.

Leeds showed something v Man. City second half so that will be a tough final day for Spurs going there.

The nee formula is this. Win our two home games and Spurs only draw v Brentford and Leeds and we make 7th. It's a pretty big ask but still possible although we're going to have to find a Newcastle peformance from somewhere.

Spurs have conceded nearly 60 league goals this season so it's not like you need to do much to create serious chances v them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

3 weeks ago we had an outside slim chance of getting CL. However the pressure has gotten to some of the players and we haven’t been able to sustain the momentum to even get 7th. 

It’s been a fantastic run under Don Unai and next season will see us sustain a challenge. We need 3/4 champion players who can play under pressure to raise the level of the squad.

Slightly unfair, we went on a mad run of CL form that no one predicted that we weren't able to sustain, we had no right to even be in the conversation for 7th but these players got us there

At the same time we were in an artificially high place in the table due to others having games in hand

• Like 4

The fact this thread has ended up having such legs before people started giving up on the idea of it just speaks fo how good of a job Emery has done.

For me I'm still the same as I have been the last few weeks, I expect 8th and would be delighted with that, but at the same time who knows. It's a tough end to the season but beat Spurs next week - which is very much possible - and suddenly it's in Villa's hands again (albeit still unlikely).

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Demi a few weeks ago "let's not overact and start slagging the squad off if we don't make europe".........😂

Think in the unlikely event any of the defenders would be reading that they'd be entitled to say what more do you want us to do given we've conceded 4 goals in 12 premier league games which is significantly less than likes of Arsenal and Liverpool.

We just need much more in final third like the teams who will finish a few points above have do.

Look im being honest not "slagging off" you cant even criticise now.

The squad has done very well to get us where we are no one is denying that but if you think this squad is good enough to take us next level you must not be watching the same thing as me

Can you not see the limitations going forward? Its so poor at times esp in the final 3rd. Basic things like picking a pass at the right time not getting the ball forward quick enough.

Even when wolves were going forward the few times they did they did it so better than we did and thats in BOTH games.