Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

26 minutes ago, paul514 said:

6th gets the Europa League this year.

No I very much don't want to play in the conference, I know it is an unpopular viewpoint to have on here.

It doesn't have prestige, it doesn't have the money, it is a lot more games in a season which DOES affect league form. When you compare that with the Europa League it does have prestige making it easier to sign good players, it has a decent amount of money and because it has prestige it will affect sponsorship, that helps to pay for the extra players needed to not affect the league form as much.

People need to remember those sky 6 clubs have huge squads and turnovers multiple times higher than ours.

Well that’s where me and you differ. I would happily take Europa Conference considering we were 11th for months and were miles off the top 7. 

Not convinced if we qualified for the Conference league instead of Europa it would impact the transfers that much. Difference between Champions League and Europa League yes, Europa and Conference I don’t think so. 

If the Europa Conference is good enough for Jose Mourinho, it’s good enough for me. I think if any Premier League team took it seriously they would win it and I want to see Villa win a trophy in my lifetime. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mantis said:

To be fair, so far based on his tenure it might be. What's holding us back is the Gerrard handicap from the start of the season.

I came on to post the same thing. I was worried about relegation at one point this season, the fact that we’re even talking about European football after our start is enough for me. I genuinely can’t bloody wait for next season though.

2 hours ago, RichW said:

Well that’s where me and you differ. I would happily take Europa Conference considering we were 11th for months and were miles off the top 7. 

Not convinced if we qualified for the Conference league instead of Europa it would impact the transfers that much. Difference between Champions League and Europa League yes, Europa and Conference I don’t think so. 

If the Europa Conference is good enough for Jose Mourinho, it’s good enough for me. I think if any Premier League team took it seriously they would win it and I want to see Villa win a trophy in my lifetime. 

You saw us win the intertoto that is not far off the same level.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47uy5prw6b79qfrg9007

Yep very serious, I'd consider it on par with the league cup

Edit here is a list of the teams that were in this years competition......

I wouldn't consider it glorious to beat any of them in particular there is literally half a dozen teams of ANY note.

https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaconferenceleague/clubs/

Second edit - Just for a laugh I decided to check out the 2001 intertoto cup teams and there is far more big teams in it hilariously - well teams of some note.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_UEFA_Intertoto_Cup

Edited by paul514

Just now, VILLAMARV said:

the league cup is hugely more prestigeous than the intertoto. it was a glorified pre season tournament. You can compare the two if you like but not seriously

Thanks for permission.

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I can totally get behind the idea that if they played those four games (Manchesters, Arsenal and Saudis), they would have caught up and surpassed us by a point, maybe. 

But I don’t see them being so far ahead of us by the time they come to Villa Park that a win for us wouldn’t lift us above them.

Brighton got 4 points out of the reverse fixtures (they beat Man U at Old Trafford and drew with Newcastle at the Amex, lost to City away and Arsenal at home, though they also beat Arsenal to knock them out of the League Cup). Don't think it's crazy to think they could beat or match that for these fixtures, they're really good. 

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Brighton got 4 points out of the reverse fixtures (they beat Man U at Old Trafford and drew with Newcastle at the Amex, lost to City away and Arsenal at home, though they also beat Arsenal to knock them out of the League Cup). Don't think it's crazy to think they could beat or match that for these fixtures, they're really good. 

That would get them on 56 points. Wins v Everton and Southampton lift them to 62 points turning up here so means we'd have to hit 60 points and then it's a case of beat them to make europe.

They can hurt Man. United in ways we can't so that is a worry as I didnt realise they were playing Man. United this midweek (thought that was more end of the season).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That would get them on 56 points. Wins v Everton and Southampton lift them to 62 points turning up here so means we'd have to hit 60 points and then it's a case of beat them to make europe.

They can hurt Man. United in ways we can't so that is a worry as I didnt realise they were playing Man. United this midweek (thought that was more end of the season).

I'd be delighted if we're within catching distance of them on the final day, I have a fear they'll be out of reach though. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd be delighted if we're within catching distance of them on the final day, I have a fear they'll be out of reach though. 

Would've been very tough if they'd won at Forest so I still think they'll pick up a few injuries and will struggle to put their best team out playing every 3 days v Arsenal, Newcastle, Man. City then us which seems their end of season run.

Nothing has changed I had us down for a loss against Manure and the same at Liverpool, we need to beat Wolves and win all our remaining home games simple as that, 6th is definately still up for grabs, we just need the top 4 teams to beat Brighton, if Brighton start picking up points from the top 4 then it's Europa conference league football most likely. Wolves game is massive!

It would be dissapointing to be pushed down to 8th on goal difference though should Spurs pick up the same spoints as us.

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Would've been very tough if they'd won at Forest so I still think they'll pick up a few injuries and will struggle to put their best team out playing every 3 days v Arsenal, Newcastle, Man. City then us which seems their end of season run.

They've got a tough run for sure, and injuries have been an issue, but their strength in depth is remarkable for a non-European side. In recent games Enciso, Buananotte and Undav have all made telling contributions, and it just shows the gap for us with our injuries. Traore has scored a couple of important goals but not done a lot since, and Duran has never really looked like scoring, let alone bagging a brace or running a game like Enciso did yesterday. 

No point in worrying about this lads, if we finish in the Europe spots happy days, if we don’t then we don’t, at least we’ll know where we “slipped” up.

We’ll be up there next season no matter what.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

They've got a tough run for sure, and injuries have been an issue, but their strength in depth is remarkable for a non-European side. In recent games Enciso, Buananotte and Undav have all made telling contributions, and it just shows the gap for us with our injuries. Traore has scored a couple of important goals but not done a lot since, and Duran has never really looked like scoring, let alone bagging a brace or running a game like Enciso did yesterday. 

I think Undav's pretty poor tbh although he did take his second very well. Think our backline would handle him with ease if he was starting as their CF on final day. Looks like they've got Joao Pedro confirmed for next season from Watford so interested to see how he gets on in their system.

Wolves totally chucked it yesterday as good as Brighton were. Likes of Semedo and Matheus Nunes just gifting them the ball when lightly pressed time after time. Even Billy Gilmour looked amazing and he's hardly played in last year.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think Undav's pretty poor tbh although he did take his second very well. Think our backline would handle him with ease if he was starting as their CF on final day. Looks like they've got Joao Pedro confirmed for next season from Watford so interested to see how he gets on in their system.

Wolves totally chucked it yesterday as good as Brighton were. Likes of Semedo and Matheus Nunes just gifting them the ball when lightly pressed time after time. Even Billy Gilmour looked amazing and he's hardly played in last year.

Yeah admittedly you can't base much on that Wolves game, they were unbelievably shit. 

Think Joao Pedro will be another really good signing for them, hard to believe he's still only 21 so a long ramp to improve before hitting his peak.