Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

15 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Beating Wolves, Spurs and Brighton. Losing at Old Trafford and Anfield is my prediction fwiw. 6th behind Liverpool in 5th, Spurs in 7th and top 4 as is.

We can afford two draws and beating Brighton and Spurs. That should give us enough for Top 7

Brighton will then need 13 points from their games to end above us. Which means beating Wolves Everton and Southampton and getting 4 points from United Newcastle Arsenal and City

8 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I think we draw with United, draw with Wolves,  beat Spurs, lose to LiVARpool, draw with Brighton.

We will beat Brighton at home, they play City 4 days before us who may or may not need a win depending on if Arsenal totally collapse or not.

We are also a bit of a bogey team for Brighton, in the 7 games we've played in the league since promotion, we've won 4, drawing 2 and only losing once.  We also beat them in our first season back in the League Cup.  

I was rooting for a Man U win against spurs. But a draw isn't too bad for us in terms of overtaking Spurs, and has opened up an interesting opportunity of chasing Man U should we beat them.

It's most likely not gonna happen, but let's aim for the stars and land on the moon. 

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If we beat United, I can guaran-bloody well-tee that every Villa fan in this thread, and outside this thread, will start thinking about the top 4!

I don’t think I will.  We will still be three points behind them and only have four games left and they will still have a game in hand plus Liverpool still have that easier run in and a game in hand.  I still think if we smash the end of season 5th and 6th are the best we can do.

If win our last five games, then we are on 69 points.  This means Man U lose against us and thus need 3 wins from the other 6 games which they should do.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think I will.  We will still be three points behind them and only have four games left and they will still have a game in hand plus Liverpool still have that easier run in and a game in hand.  I still think if we smash the end of season 5th and 6th are the best we can do.

United are catchable, but not by us, Liverpool could though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Pool Spurs draw not the worst result

It's a remote hope to finish above Liverpool now even if we get something off them at Anfield. They beat Fulham and Brentford at Anfield and Leicester and Southampton away and that's 65 points on its own. Draws v us and Spurs and they'll finish on 67 so we'd to win every other game this season.

We need a Liverpool win on Sunday.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

United are catchable, but not by us, Liverpool could though.

I think Liverpool have a better chance than us but imo it’s slim to zero chance.  Man U would have to implode imo to lose 4th now, they just need reasonable return to confirm it.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's a remote hope to finish above Liverpool now even if we get something off them at Anfield. They beat Fulham and Brentford at Anfield and Leicester and Southampton away and that's 65 points on its own. Draws v us and Spurs and they'll finish on 67 so we'd to win every other game this season.

We need a Liverpool win on Sunday.

Yep totally agree

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If we can manage 5 points from next 4 games it'll be in our own hands come Brighton at end of the season at VP

How does that work? 

That puts us on 59 points. 

If Brighton win next 7 thats puts them on 70 points. 

23 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Arteta doesn't have a fat lot of choice though, he hasn't got mahrez etc to rotate in and out

That's why Im not a fan of calling arsenal bottlers, doesn't really take in to appreciation how much of an advantage city have due to their spending on their squad

Did Saka really need to play all them Europa League games for example

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Did Saka really need to play all them Europa League games for example

If he doesn't who does? Reiss Nelson who leaves on a free this summer so they obviously don't rate, ESR and jesus have been crocked, trossard joined in jan

Criticising arteta for burning players out is too blinkered on arsenal rather than looking at the advantage city have over everyone which they unfairly bought

Same with the bottler stuff, arsenal don't have that great a squad and they were punching above their weight for half of the season but them doing too well for most of the season is a way to criticise them when they ultimately fall short, it's a weird mentality that is unfortunately very common 

9 minutes ago, jayEm said:

Might have been laid out like this before but if we win all our games we finish on 69 points, guaranteeing us 6th, because:

Brighton could only win 7 from 8 in that scenario so finish on 70.

Liverpool could only win 5 from 6 in that scenario so finish on 68.

Spurs could only win 4 from 5 in that scenario so finish on 66.

And to add, Liverpool and Spurs can't both finish on that because they play each other.  So one of them or both will drop more points.

• Like 1

On 27/04/2023 at 09:02, CVByrne said:

I think 62 should be our target for points next season. Emery is averaging 2.1 ppg which equates to 80 points in a season. 

So when we think about our Emery form we've had 13W 3D and 4L in 20 games (which isn't sustainable and we've over performed in this period). 

So if our aim is 62 points in a season we'd expect to get 10 points less in the 20 games we've just had. 

So 9W 5D and 6L would be the form for 62 point season. 

I think it is a bit early to set a potential target for next season, as our transfer business and whether we do qualify for Europe are likely to have an impact. 

My target always used to be to get 40 points first (38 now) and then to set a points target for the rest of the season. During the late 70s and early 80s, my target was always to win our home games and to draw our away games, because we could then aim higher. If we did that next season that would give us 76 points, so this would be my target, if I was setting one. That would give us top four, which would be progress on this season, even if we were to finish top six. It is a big ask, but at the start of the season, why not set a difficult, but potentially achievable target?

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

If we beat United, I can guaran-bloody well-tee that every Villa fan in this thread, and outside this thread, will start thinking about the top 4!

Start thinking about it?

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Haha 2