Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

7 minutes ago, RichW said:

Would have took top 8 at the start of the season and definitely would have took top 11 when Gerrard got sacked but feel like there is going to be a lot of disappointment on here if Villa finish 8th. 

I think disappointment is natural and ok. Where it would be problematic is if fans failed to appreciate just how far we’ve come and how much the players and coaches have worked and achieved to even get us to a point that we are disappointed if we miss out. They’ve done a brilliant job and finally given ‘the project’ some credibility.

Can't ignore teams like Leicester, Leeds and Everton fighting for their lives. Those games aren't the gimmes they appear. Whereas we play Brentford, Fulham and Wolves who don't really have much to play for + all of our rivals. It's in our hands.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Nothing wrong with setting the bar high but if we fail fans better not start moaning at emery or the players.  Whatever happens its been a absolutely remarkable season under emery 

Yes no slagging off Dendoncker now when he's trying to do no look passes around Casemiro.....😉

On 17/04/2023 at 12:28, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah it's a tough one, there are so many points still to play for so our chances do not just rest on this one result...I'm thinking a draw would be best for Villa. 

😃 I actually think a draw would be worst for Villa.  Need one or the other to win

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Can't ignore teams like Leicester, Leeds and Everton fighting for their lives. Those games aren't the gimmes they appear. Whereas we play Brentford, Fulham and Wolves who don't really have much to play for + all of our rivals. It's in our hands.

After watching Leeds the other night, they look doomed.  They have to play Newcastle and Spurs

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

After watching Leeds the other night, they look doomed.  They have to play Newcastle and Spurs

But you'd say the same about Everton, and Forest, and Leicester. And Southampton already gone. Fact is all 5 of them look atrocious at the moment and it's  case of who is going to be least bad. I don't see any of them turning around their season long form.

Edited by MrBlack

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Looking at this id day liverpool could finish top four. Their fixtures are not bad at all.

Us and spurs prob have hardest run in on paper

Screenshot_20230419_084238_Facebook.jpg

Apart from Arsenal and Man City, I really dont think theres much if any distinction between us playing a historic big team or a historic bottom team. We didnt just narrowly beat Man U, Chelsea, Tottenham, Newcastle etc. We beat them by atleast 2 clear goals!! and also beat Brighton. Our biggest defeat has been to Leicester. Oddly therefore, I would prefer our fixtures to any of those other lists. Given also that we can impede the teams around us in their hunt for Europe.

Edited by turvontour
  • Like 1

Just now, MrBlack said:

But you'd say the same about Everton, and Forest, and Leicester. And Southampton already gone. Fact is all 6 of them look atrocious at the moment and it's  case of who is going to be least bad. I don't see any of them turning around their season long form.

Leicester second half against City they looked decent, they only have to play Liverpool and Newcastle.  Forest are dreadful, they have Liverpool and Brighton who I expect will both batter them. Haven't really watched Everton under Dyche, they have Newcastle and Brighton. 

They don't actually play that many Euro chasing teams that we need to get beat, so I wouldn't be relaying on any of them.

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Leeds don't play Spurs until final day of the season so hope they've sorted themselves out by then and just play it as one off cup final type game.

Hard to think Southampton will still have a chance of staying up by final game so looks like a straightforward three points for Liverpool there, we need to be a point clear of them going into final day.

12 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

But you'd say the same about Everton, and Forest, and Leicester. And Southampton already gone. Fact is all 5 of them look atrocious at the moment and it's  case of who is going to be least bad. I don't see any of them turning around their season long form.

I would think a Dyce Everton and a John Terry defence at Leceister will concede the least amount of goals of that group.

It is great for Villa just to be in the mix for a European spot. I thought that was inconceivable when Gerrard was here. 

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

4th, whilst mathematically possible, is realistically impossible. I know many would have said the same about top 8 a couple of months ago, but this next leap is a leap too far in my opinion. 

As you say, no chance of 4th, but the fact it’s still mathematically possible with a handful of games remaining is just incredible. 

The job Emery has done is just staggering. 

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

As you say, no chance of 4th, but the fact it’s still mathematically possible with a handful of games remaining is just incredible. 

The job Emery has done is just staggering. 

Manager of the Season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Looking at this id day liverpool could finish top four. Their fixtures are not bad at all.

Us and spurs prob have hardest run in on paper

Screenshot_20230419_084238_Facebook.jpg

I think we can win our 3 home games, and draw 2, lose to Pool and United

( We could potentially beat Wolves as well but they are improving)

Head says 10 - 11 points.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

One guy on Sky said " If Arsenal win the League, Arteta should get it, but if City win the League, Emery should get it ".

I actually think that's fair.

Totally but you know it won't.  Shout out for Howe as well.

If things carry on as they did over the last month or two, realistically the key games are Brighton and Liverpool. So it will come down to the very end of season. 

• Like 1

Arsenal win league - Arteta will get it

City win league and champs league - Pep

City win league, Newcastle champs league - Howe 

City win league, Newcastle miss out, Villa get Europe - Emery

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 1