Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

Brighton is the team that bothers me the most. They just have a habit of finding that important goal and their run-in is less challenging than ours. I would hate to be in a 4th place playoff with them in the final game.

What? You'd hate to be playing for 4th last game?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tubby said:

Brighton is the team that bothers me the most. They just have a habit of finding that important goal and their run-in is less challenging than ours. I would hate to be in a 4th place playoff with them in the final game.

Agreed. Plus they have 2 games in hand.

I'd be more worried by them than Spurs or United to be honest.

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Games in hand are Vs Newcastle and man city, plus have to play like 6 games in 3 weeks before season end so hopefully be knackered when play us

It’s hard to not get carried away with this amazing form, so why bother trying? I think we’ll get another 15 points yet. It’s all about momentum and Emery choosing which tactical master class we select to beat each opponent. I think we beat Brentford, Fulham, Wolves, Spurs and Brighton on the last day. And I think a 6th place Europa spot is on the cards.

However…

1. Arsenal

2. Man City

3. Man Utd 

4. Villa

5. Brighton

6. Newcastle

Would be one hell of a season!

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

At the moment top 4 is out of the question. If we win our remaining games in April then we can date to dream. 

Yeah think it's just out of our reach too. I'm happy enough that there's even a convo to be had about it.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Yeah think it's just out of our reach too. I'm happy enough that there's even a convo to be had about it.

Beat spurs and united while keeping up 2 points a game and it's *possible*. Top 6 will be really really difficult though, let alone top 4.

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Beat spurs and united while keeping up 2 points a game and it's *possible*. Top 6 will be really really difficult though, let alone top 4.

Yup I agree. It's a tough ask overall. I'm just happy we're playing exciting football while winning games. It's exhilirating.

• Like 1

I don't think everyone realizes how much luck we need to finish 4th...  We would need 4 of Brighton, Man United, Newcastle, Liverpool, and Spurs to completely capitulate in their run ins, while we need to not drop more than 3 points during ours.  I just don't see that happening.  Maybe Liverpool and Spurs fail to impress while Newcastle falls off a little, but I don't see Brighton losing any of their games beside Arsenal and Man City before we play them in the last game of the season.  We essentially need Southampton and Forest to suddenly find form and start beating the teams around us.  

It's most likely that we'll be playing Brighton on the last game of the season where the winner gets a Europa League place.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

Shows what a **** gigantic **** ass clown Gerrard really was.

Every time Unai wins, Slippy is diminished - we've made him possibly employable and by the end of the season impossible to employ. 

Liverpool - 6 points behind but they have 2 games in hand and a better GD. We also still have to play them at Anfield. That game could decide who finishes above the other.

Brighton - 1 point behind, but they have 2 games in hand and a better GD. Play them last game of the season which could be a winner takes all match.

Spurs in 5th - They are 3 points ahead with a better GD. Same amount of games played. We play them at Villa Park soon and the winner probably finishes above the other.

Newcastle in assumed 4th - 6 points ahead of us, a game in hand, & better GD. Extremely unlikely to catch them, but they do play Spurs next so one of them have to drop points.

Villa in 6th… Brentford and Fulham next… then 5 big games to finish - Man Utd away, local derby with Wolves away, Spurs, Liverpool at Anfield, and Brighton.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Liverpool - 6 points behind but they have 2 games in hand and a better GD. We also still have to play them at Anfield. That game could decide who finishes above the other.

Brighton - 1 point behind, but they have 2 games in hand and a better GD. Play them last game of the season which could be a winner takes all match.

Spurs in 5th - They are 3 points ahead with a better GD. Same amount of games played. We play them at Villa Park soon and the winner probably finishes above the other.

Newcastle in assumed 4th - 6 points ahead of us, a game in hand, & better GD. Extremely unlikely to catch them, but they do play Spurs next so one of them have to drop points.

Villa in 6th… Brentford and Fulham next… then 5 big games to finish - Man Utd away, local derby with Wolves away, Spurs, Liverpool at Anfield, and Brighton.

Brighton will have 3 games in hand as they don't play a PL game next weekend. Hopefully we can go 4 points clear. 
Brighton and Manchester United have a fixture pile up . And its not like they can rest key players because the games are so important. Injuries are starting to mount up (Rashford, Varane, Martinez, Ferguson).  

Brighton vs Man United (Fa Cup)- Sun 23rd April
Nottingham Forest vs Brighton - Wed 26th April
Brighton vs Wolves- Sat 29th April
Brighton vs Man United - Thu 4th May
Brighton vs Everton- Monday 8th May

Edited by SecretVillaScout
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We can’t match our best points total in the Premier League (1992/93 - 74 points, albeit over 42 matches).

But 65 points would be our second best, and our best return over a 38 game season (we reached 64 in 2009/10). 

We stand a reasonable chance of winning the most league games in a single season (again, apart from the 92/93 - 21 wins). Our next best is 18 league wins in 1995/96. So we need 4 more wins.

In theory, we could win more than half our matches for the first time ever in the PL. We’d need to win 5 of the last 7, so a fairly tall order. 

But it’s a nice target to aim for and if not, it’s something I think we’d definitely be looking at surpassing next season.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Their run in is challenging though.

They still have to play Arsenal and Man. City, we've already done that.

Yes they've got a depleted Man. United in a few weeks but so have we.

We have tricky away games but they have Newcastle away who've lost one home match all season.

If we need just a point on last day to finish above them I'd much rather do that at VP with 40k cheering us on than having to do it down there.

Add in the FA cup and I'm confident we'll do just enough to hold them off. I think they'll finish above Spurs aswell so they will get european football which will be very well deserved for them.

Edit: I assume Man. City at home has to be placed in the final midweek given they're 99.9% certain to be playing CL SF. So Man. City shouldn't mess that one up otherwise title is basically Arsenal's.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1