Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

Brighton and ourselves will finish above Spurs.

Watched the last 10 minutes and some of the decisions Spurs are getting is ridiculous. VAR just ignoring Kane standing offside infront of the goal and then Bournemouth players getting assaulted in injury time and ref just playing on.

Was happy enough with 2-2 but Spurs losing that was brilliant.

They have Newcastle, Man. United and Liverpool in next three, can see them getting 1 point out of that.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YLN said:

Spurs looking more likely to drop from european places than Brighton

Yeah I was asking the other day how catchable Spurs are. 

They are definitely catchable, but I don’t think we could finish 5th, the way it’s looking, I think it’s quite conceivable Spurs will finish below us, with Brighton 4th or 5th. And Liverpool being the side to take 6th from us - if anyone does, that is.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Absolutely sick of Brighton.

They are going to make it so that we have to try and win absolutely every game from now till end of season ain't they?

Final day could be huge!

Easier scenario is that Spurs just drop out of the running altogether and us and Brighton finish in Euro spots anyway.

Not really. They can lose to Man. City, Arsenal, Newcastle in this run in quite comfortably. And us on the final day.

If they lose four games I don't see how they finish in 62-63 points myself as they usually draw a game or two against bottom half home or away.

Best table of course is us and them finishing top 6 because we certainly both deserve it rather than likes of Spurs and Liverpool who are basically phoning it in and winning based on reputation.

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

Yeah I was asking the other day how catchable Spurs are. 

They are definitely catchable, but I don’t think we could finish 5th, the way it’s looking, I think it’s quite conceivable Spurs will finish below us, with Brighton 4th or 5th. And Liverpool being the side to take 6th from us - if anyone does, that is.

I don't see Brighton on more than 62/63 points personally.

If Spurs lose all their away games and don't beat Man. United at home the maximum they can finish on is 60 points. Brentford and Palace at home are far from certs either and we're getting closer to them on GD.

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

Just out of interest, is that a mathematically correct statement?

No.

But I'm just going to assume our rivals won't winn all theirs.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Not really. They can lose to Man. City, Arsenal, Newcastle in this run in quite comfortably. And us on the final day.

If they lose four games I don't see how they finish in 62-63 points myself as they usually draw a game or two against bottom half home or away.

Best table of course is us and them finishing top 6 because we certainly both deserve it rather than likes of Spurs and Liverpool who are basically phoning it in and winning based on reputation.

True.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I don't see Brighton on more than 62/63 points personally.

If Spurs lose all their away games and don't beat Man. United at home the maximum they can finish on is 60 points. Brentford and Palace at home are far from certs either and we're getting closer to them on GD.

Looking at the remaining fixtures, that’s reasonable enough. I have Brighton down for a similar final total - assuming we beat them.

Are you putting us as ever so slight favourites for fifth then? It is doable. It’s going to be difficult but these six pointers against Spurs, Liverpool and Brighton, they can be beaten.

4 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Looking at the remaining fixtures, that’s reasonable enough. I have Brighton down for a similar final total - assuming we beat them.

Are you putting us as ever so slight favourites for fifth then? It is doable. It’s going to be difficult but these six pointers against Spurs, Liverpool and Brighton, they can be beaten.

With every win we get previously unobtainable points targets start to get very realistic. Imagine saying after that late Arsenal goal we'd be getting 55 points this season. That's only a win and two draws away now so we'd have to blow up even worse than some of those run ins under MON not to achieve that.

60 points is now three wins and a draw away. That basically means beating Fulham, Spurs and Wolves and getting something at Brentford. Very achieveable.

64-65 points means on top getting something at Anfield and Old Trafford and beating Brighton on final day. Still very tough but when you look at what we produced today then it's a case of "would you bet against us..."

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

If we can get Kamara, Coutinho, Cash and Bailey back fit for the final 4 or 5 games that could be a welcome bonus for the squad, assuming we don’t lose more of course, and could prove vital in getting us over the line.

I didn’t really think it was on before today but the way we blew away Saudi Arabia today was just something else. If we can perform at even 75% of that on average over the remainder of the season we’ll continue picking up points.

• Like 4