Villa’s Race for Europe 22/23

messi11

14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Do we? Even when we are playing badly we have little spells and we know how to score, a trait some of our upcoming opponents don’t. We are starting to get into a habit of not conceding either.  Obviously we want to play better but Emery has a knack of getting us goals even when we don’t play well.  Hopefully a moot point and we play better but it’s hard to be critical when we keep winning even if not playing well and scoring regularly.  If our defence can continue to keep the goals out then I don’t mind about the rest because I know we can score and we do create chances even when not playing well.

For me I’m not sure if it’s a fact of we need to play better more so can we still get results against better teams, and we’re going to find that out in the next few weeks. If mudryk put the chance away last weekend the games completely different probably. Forrest almost had the exact same chance at the weekend but Emi luckily rushed out and cleared it. The good thing for us is we looked to be improving consistently 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

For me I’m not sure if it’s a fact of we need to play better more so can we still get results against better teams, and we’re going to find that out in the next few weeks. If mudryk put the chance away last weekend the games completely different probably. Forrest almost had the exact same chance at the weekend but Emi luckily rushed out and cleared it. The good thing for us is we looked to be improving consistently 

I think the levels of our play are all intentional, all worked out in advance by Emery. We play just well enough to beat the opponent in front of us. So our level of play versus Forest will differ from the level of play versus Newcastle. Just  trust Emery, he knows what he’s doing.

Remaining fixtures:

NEWCASTLE (+9 plus 1 match) - Villa (a), Spurs (h), Everton (a), Soton (h), Arsenal (h), Leeds (a), Leicester (h), Chelsea (a) - plus Brighton (h) date tbc

MAN UTD (+9 plus 1 match) - Europe, Forest (a), Europe, FA Cup, Spurs (a), Villa (h)Brighton (a), West Ham (a), Wolves (h), Bournemouth (a), Fulham (h) - plus Chelsea (h) date tbc

SPURS (+ 6) - Bournemouth (h), Newcastle (a), Man Utd (h), Liverpool (a), Palace (h), Villa (a)Brentford (h), Leeds (a)

VILLA - Newcastle (h), Brentford (a), Fulham (h), Man Utd (a), Wolves (a), Spurs (h), Liverpool (a), Brighton (h)

BRIGHTON (-1 plus 2 matches) - Chelsea (a), Forest (a), FA Cup, Wolves (h), Man Utd (h), Everton (h), Arsenal (a), Soton (h), Villa (a) - plus Man City (h), Newcastle (a) dates tbc

LIVERPOOL (-3 plus 1 match) - Leeds (a), Forest (h), West Ham (a), Spurs (h), Fulham (h), Brentford (h), Leicester (a), Villa (h), Soton (a)

BRENTFORD (-4) - Wolves (a), Villa (h), Chelsea (a), Forest (h), Liverpool (a), West Ham (h), Spurs (a), Man City (h)

FULHAM (- 8 plus 1 match) - Everton (a), Leeds (h), Villa (a), Man City (h), Liverpool (a), Leicester (h), Soton (a), Palace (h), Man Utd (a)

CHELSEA (-8) - Europe, Brighton (h), Europe, Brentford (h), Arsenal (a), Bournemouth (a), Forest (h), Man City (a), Newcastle (h) - plus Man Utd (a) date tbc

Our home form could be critical in the run-in.  Lots of the teams around us have to play each other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

If you look at the results since Unai joined and you add one or two £40-60m players in there this summer… then we could be up there and make it very interesting! We’ll all be in total dreamland if we’re anywhere near the top four at this stage next year, such amazing times! Love it!

You need 90 + points to win the league these days. Points haul under Emery has been amazing so far but basically the three defeats we had in early Feb would end a title challenge if they happened in September/October so it's not realistc.

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

We have no chance according to talkSPORT. When they did the review of all 20 teams on Hawksbee and Jacobs earlier, they alluded to the fact that we are playing poorly and winning. Nobody would be surprised if we had lost 5-2 at Chelsea and also the next eight games, apart from the local derby with wolves are all against teams who will probably beat us. Apparently if we get a few players in in the summer we can be optimistic about next season.

I can't recall Chelsea creating even 5 decent chances v us. They had a couple first half and the Chilwell disallowed goal but basically gave us as soon as McGinn scored his rocket and that was early second half.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I can't recall Chelsea creating even 5 decent chances v us. They had a couple first half and the Chilwell disallowed goal but basically gave us as soon as McGinn scored his rocket and that was early second half.

You're right, 5-2? What a joke, They hardly troubled Emi and he seems to forget McGinn rattled the bar too. I was never remotely worried once it was 2-0. 

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

I think the levels of our play are all intentional, all worked out in advance by Emery. We play just well enough to beat the opponent in front of us. So our level of play versus Forest will differ from the level of play versus Newcastle. Just  trust Emery, he knows what he’s doing.

I’m not sure if I agree with that to be honest, we were a wonder goal away from drawing 1-1 with Leicester. The blueprint stays the same regardless of who we play, how we adapt to how teams try and stop it is what changes. And I have full trust in Emery don’t worry

8 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Completely pointless percentages…the data is so small and one result or two makes such a different that 8th position has changed by 27% in a month.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think if we end 9th now I'll be a little disappointed. Liverpool will end above us and Brighton probably will too but we've a chance as we play them in VP last day of the season. I'd hope we can finish ahead of Brentford and if Chelsea stay in this muddled form we can stay ahead of them too.

If we can get to 60 points I'll be over the moon. That'll mean 48 points from 25 games under Emery and 1.92ppg equivalent to a 73 point full season which is CL qualification form in almost every season. Bottle up the momentum, make the right signings and go for it next season. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, allani said:

Remaining fixtures:

NEWCASTLE (+9 plus 1 match) - Villa (a), Spurs (h), Everton (a), Soton (h), Arsenal (h), Leeds (a), Leicester (h), Chelsea (a) - plus Brighton (h) date tbc

MAN UTD (+9 plus 1 match) - Europe, Forest (a), Europe, FA Cup, Spurs (a), Villa (h)Brighton (a), West Ham (a), Wolves (h), Bournemouth (a), Fulham (h) - plus Chelsea (h) date tbc

SPURS (+ 6) - Bournemouth (h), Newcastle (a), Man Utd (h), Liverpool (a), Palace (h), Villa (a)Brentford (h), Leeds (a)

VILLA - Newcastle (h), Brentford (a), Fulham (h), Man Utd (a), Wolves (a), Spurs (h), Liverpool (a), Brighton (h)

BRIGHTON (-1 plus 2 matches) - Chelsea (a), Forest (a), FA Cup, Wolves (h), Man Utd (h), Everton (h), Arsenal (a), Soton (h), Villa (a) - plus Man City (h), Newcastle (a) dates tbc

LIVERPOOL (-3 plus 1 match) - Leeds (a), Forest (h), West Ham (a), Spurs (h), Fulham (h), Brentford (h), Leicester (a), Villa (h), Soton (a)

BRENTFORD (-4) - Wolves (a), Villa (h), Chelsea (a), Forest (h), Liverpool (a), West Ham (h), Spurs (a), Man City (h)

FULHAM (- 8 plus 1 match) - Everton (a), Leeds (h), Villa (a), Man City (h), Liverpool (a), Leicester (h), Soton (a), Palace (h), Man Utd (a)

CHELSEA (-8) - Europe, Brighton (h), Europe, Brentford (h), Arsenal (a), Bournemouth (a), Forest (h), Man City (a), Newcastle (h) - plus Man Utd (a) date tbc

Our home form could be critical in the run-in.  Lots of the teams around us have to play each other.

Newcastle and Man Utd too far ahead at this point, Fulham and Chelsea too far behind.

Outside chance of us catching Spurs with their remaining fixtures looking tough and the management situation there. 3 wins probably enough for them to stay ahead.

Brentford probably need 6 wins from 8 to have any chance of 7th. And/or two of us, Brighton and Liverpool tanking.

Liverpool should be able to get at least 5 wins from that run. Means be probably need to at least equal it to stay ahead of them.

Brighton have 3 should win home games. Maybe then only need the game against us. Looking really likely that game of the last day is going to be crucial.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, allani said:

Remaining fixtures:

Just noticed the order on the Brighton games above is slightly off and they'll have only played Chelsea away in the league in the time we play Newcastle, Brentford and Fulham. Their FA Cup semi comes while we are playing Brentford and then Forest away is a day after we play Fulham.

Obviously this is going to add to their games in hand, but it does give us a big opportunity to really open the gap and put the pressure on them, especially if they also drop points at Chelsea. The semi between the Chelsea and Forest games hopefully draws some focus from those games as well.

If we can go the next 3 unbeaten and get at least one win, we could be looking at a 6-8 point gap to Brighton, them needing to get something from a Forest side who have been much better at home than away to start clawing that back, with three games in hand that few would expect them to win any of.

• Like 1